Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Kodiak 400 4x4 which is full time 4x4 and would like to convert it to 2wd with the selector switch, i am pretty good with wiring and could purchase a stock switch from a new bike and wire it to the electric servo on the 98-01 Grizzly 600 diff as well as fab the mounts on the frame for the new diff to mount to, my question is has anyone ever done a similar swap and do the Kodiak cv axles fit in the Grizzly diff, as well would the front drive shaft fit the yoke?

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Hey....Yamaha_Ben_3006....Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

I think you might just be the first to do this conversion. Member dezz maybe able to answer some of your question.
Be great if you post up what obstacles you may need to or have solved and post up some pictures.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Unfortunately I have no idea on this.
But I would suspect you are getting into custom axles and front driveshaft for this modification.

·
Vendor
715 Posts
If you're going to go through the trouble of fabbing new mounts and all, why not use a diff out of a 700 Grizzly and have diff lock also. Like Dezz said, you'll be looking at different driveshafts, hubs, axles, etc. Not trying to sell you anything just an idea but we have a standalone wiring harness that will run a 700 diff with only a hot and ground wire so all of your electrical would be figured out it would just be a matter of getting the diff installed. It would be a cool project to see, I don't know of anyone that has done it. Let me know if I can help you any way with it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If you're going to go through the trouble of fabbing new mounts and all, why not use a diff out of a 700 Grizzly and have diff lock also. Like Dezz said, you'll be looking at different driveshafts, hubs, axles, etc. Not trying to sell you anything just an idea but we have a standalone wiring harness that will run a 700 diff with only a hot and ground wire so all of your electrical would be figured out it would just be a matter of getting the diff installed. It would be a cool project to see, I don't know of anyone that has done it. Let me know if I can help you any way with it.
I would definitely think that would be the way to go!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at what it would cost do do the swap and i opted to just go buy a 2016 Kodiak 700 Hunter EPS and i couldn't be happier with it, i would've loved to show everyone a swap but i do not have the time to do it, i still have the quad tho so maybe in the future i will re-vist this thread.

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Congratulations. The full size machine are so much better. Thanks for posting back.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Those old Kodiak's are still great rides. I miss my old one. They do not build them like that anymore in regards of toughness, durability and ultimate reliability......but they also do not build them like that anymore as regards to having very little suspension and weak brakes.
It cannot compare to today's models in comfort and value and overall performance.

While doing a custom front diff install would be cool to see and do, it's just not worth it. There is little value to it. The cost to do the modification is worth more than the bike itself is worth.

·
Vendor
715 Posts
Congrats man, that's awesome! Night and day difference. Even with diff lock on the old machine, you will be much happier with the newer Kodiak. I agree with Dezz, I would like to see that mod too but there is a reason not many if any folks have done it. The juice is not worth the squeeze for most. Thanks for sharing and posting back. Take care.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts