Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wanted to share a project I’ve started. I wanted extra light output but also to keep my factory housing and fit. So my search began, I asked around and did some measurements of the stock housings and decided I wanted to retrofit an led pod into my headlights.

I was not finding any lights that would fit inside the stock housing and then came across these at work one day

I measured my stock housing at roughly 5 inches round and these lights were 4.8 inches. So I figured close what the hell and picked a pair up.

After throwing my stock housing in the oven for 15 minutes at 225 and removing all hardware I began to separate the lens.

To my luck these led pods fit right into the stock housing but did leave a tiny gap between the lens and housing so I clamped them together and used some JB plastic weld to bridge the gap. Installed the passenger side tonight and will post output when finished.

I was itching to test the output with the new led pod so I went for a ride tonight and my 6000k hid kit in the drivers side was completely washed away by the hamsar pods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Nice work.

Reactions: AdamB88

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Looks good Adam. One thing to keep in mind with this is that the additional weight of the leds are going to stress the mounting tabs on the housing. I've replaced both stock headlight housings based on broken tabs with only stock bulbs. I'll also not that I'm able to break stuff that shouldn't break, ha.
If there is a way to add washers to the mounts, may help some. Just something to consider.
Be good

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good Adam. One thing to keep in mind with this is that the additional weight of the leds are going to stress the mounting tabs on the housing. I've replaced both stock headlight housings based on broken tabs with only stock bulbs. I'll also not that I'm able to break stuff that shouldn't break, ha.

If there is a way to add washers to the mounts, may help some. Just something to consider.

Be good
Thanks man that’s a good piece of info. It’s been too cold this week to wrench anymore. I will have to look into that.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
...I'll also note that I'm able to break stuff that shouldn't break, ha...
Yeah, like my will to not have another beer before going to bed "early" by midnight.

Damn you Hammerhead!!!

0:)

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
This project does look really nice, great job.

Be great if you could get a rider perspective picture of the light output at night.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This project does look really nice, great job.

Be great if you could get a rider perspective picture of the light output at night.

It’s coming, we got hit with a cold spell with -45c with the windchill this week! I’ve subscribed to how cold will you go but that’s to cold for me and my Grizz lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I really like how they are not as white. I find the slightly more yellow light easier on the eyes and it works better when things are wet. I had HID lights in my car and they look crazy bright to other drivers, but weren’t as good on rainy nights as the Halogens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got around to completing the drivers side.. best output shot I could get during the day, night shot coming later today!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Polaris is the brother in Laws. 2016 sportsman 570...for the record he tries driving the grizzly whenever he gets the chance

·
Registered
800 Posts
The Polaris is the brother in Laws. 2016 sportsman 570...for the record he tries driving the grizzly whenever he gets the chance

For the record your Grizzly should beat the pants off of that anywhere! Lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got around to taking some pics of the light output. I don’t have a comparison but here they are

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looking good Adam! Nice job!

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice. Looks like some nice light output. Are you happy with the the beam and how far the light casts? There is no low/high beam on those right? I've been considering doing something similar but we are required by law to have our lights on when riding public trails and I'm concerned about blinding oncoming riders if I don't have a low beam.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts