Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some extra light strip laying around so I decided to make a panel style LED taillight. There are better ways to do this but this is the cheapest and easiest.

I took the taillight apart using the oven to loosen the glue.
I used 3/4 masking tape as a guide to cut the stock housing flat. I did that to give a better mounting surface and to sink the panel deeper into the taillight.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I made the plate the strips are mounted on out of aluminum and epoxied it to the factory housing. I made tabs to rivet it to the side of the housing but it wasn't necessary so I skipped that. I cut all the connections off the strip I wasnt going to use. I also powdercoated the aluminum to make sure the strip didn't short out since adhesive is all that separates the connections from the mounting surface on this particular strip. These are red 5050smd led waterproof strips, 300smd's/5m. Non waterproof strips would be much easier to work with I think.

The top and bottom strips are the taillight, the three center strips are the brake light.

I also wired in a brake controller so when you hit the brakes it flashes 4 times fast,4 times slow then stays steady on until you let of the brakes.
I'll try to get more pictures all finished later, and a video of the brake strobe too.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Looks good WM, nice job.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sweetness,make me one!!! Looks good wade.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Great idea. That looks really good. It's just another product you can add to the list of stuff you should be making/selling!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Nice job! I had to squint looking at the pics! :icon_ goofy:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is pretty bright, I was initially going to use 48 5360 led's on a panel for brake & 12 5050 led's for the tail but it was obnoxious.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
Great idea. That looks really good. It's just another product you can add to the list of stuff you should be making/selling!
It's another product I may hit him up for since he's local. And pay him generously, also (beer, whiskey or cash.... It's up to him).
:rofl:

Nice work, Wade! I wanna see the video.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This isn't my grizzly but it shows how the strobe works.
Fast flash, slow flash, steady on.
Hopefully my brother in law stops bumping me now!

I could make the panels wired up if anyone seriously is interested I'll buy the materials. I wired it to a blank 1157 plug so you keep the factory harness.

I could have fit the strobe module inside the housing but it would be really tight so I opted to wire it into the short harness (in between the 3 bullet connectors and bulb base) since it's waterproof anyway. I tried it with the stock bulb out of curiosity, but it's too much of a load (I assume) and it didn't work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This isn't my grizzly but it shows how the strobe works.

Hopefully my brother in law stops bumping me now!

I could make the panels wired up if anyone seriously is interested I'll buy the materials. I wired it to a blank 1157 plug so you keep the factory harness.

I could have fit the strobe module inside the housing but it would be really tight so I opted to wire it into the short harness (in between the 3 bullet connectors and bulb base) since it's waterproof anyway. I tried it with the stock bulb out of curiosity, but it's too much of a load (I assume) and it didn't work.
I would definitely be interested in one of those, let us know some prices.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I wye to do it I would probably make the panel, you would just have to install it. I could send extra butyl sealant to use when you re seal it. A new taillight is $25, then the time to modify it might end up being spendy. I'll try to have prices tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think for the panel wired up it would be about $30, that's where I'll start and I'll see how it goes. If your seriously interested let me know and I'll order materials in the next day or so. That's with no strobe.

To do the job you would need - an oven, 3/4 masking tape, hacksaw/dremel/cutoff wheel. Screws / rivets optional

1 - 13 of 13 Posts