Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider/owner of a 2014 Grizzly 700 SE...HOWEVER I have put 2300 Kms on it in the past year. I would consider myself an advanced rider in respect to the people I ride with and the trails we ride, meaning they have been riding for years compared to me.
Here is my question and would be a big help from fellow Grizz riders.

I feel my Grizzly is light in the front end when climbing and hitting a bolder etc and feels that I'm going to flip over backwards/sideways.... (I did once and lucky to be alive) I say this as I ride with a lot of Can Am 570, 800 and 1000 owners and they do not have the least bit of problem compared to me.

1. Do we have light front ends?
2. Suspension issue?
3. I don't know the first thing about changing the shock settings...if this is it what should they be set at ? I'm 210 lbs and 63 years old!!

Thxs

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'm a new rider/owner of a 2014 Grizzly 700 SE...HOWEVER I have put 2300 Kms on it in the past year. I would consider myself an advanced rider in respect to the people I ride with and the trails we ride, meaning they have been riding for years compared to me.
Here is my question and would be a big help from fellow Grizz riders.

I feel my Grizzly is light in the front end when climbing and hitting a bolder etc and feels that I'm going to flip over backwards/sideways.... (I did once and lucky to be alive) I say this as I ride with a lot of Can Am 570, 800 and 1000 owners and they do not have the least bit of problem compared to me.

1. Do we have light front ends?
2. Suspension issue?
3. I don't know the first thing about changing the shock settings...if this is it what should they be set at ? I'm 210 lbs and 63 years old!!

Thxs
They do seem to get light when climbing. Aspecially freaky with a passager. Lucky I've never rolled backwards. (Yet!)

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,542 Posts
My experience is mainly with Honda and Yamaha. I can't say that I've noticed the Griz being particularly light in the front end and I'm riding a 2014 700 like you. I'm comparable in body weight at 216lbs. My Griz is equipped with a winch and on big trips I also have a full 4 gallon Rotopax on the front rack so that probably makes a difference. I almost always stand and shift my weight forward when climbing a steep grade. The same goes for when traversing uneven terrain. I always lean 'uphill'. Perhaps those are factors in the difference between what you and I feel. I'm sure you carry some gear with you. Have you considered a front trunk for your Griz? If you have the need for extra fuel, you might consider a Rotopax or similar system. If you don't have a winch, then that's an option also.

Changes to the preload for the shocks is easy. Jack up whichever end you want to change, use a spanner wrench (or whatever) to move the collar at the bottom of the shock. This is covered in your owner manual. If you don't have a spanner wrench, you can use channellocks over a rag to adjust the collar.

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
I use 4 wheel drive on steep inclines a-lot when going slow to spread the required power to both ends of the grizz.
With all the torque needed to climb being through the rear axles, the grizz wants to stand up more when going slow and....
I learned that in many situations hitting the bottom of a hill with higher speed works well.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The fuzzy math factor is the driver usually. How a person hits the hill and how a person uses the throttle.
Soft rear shocks are not your friends. Crank up rear shocks.
Install a winch (must have).

The CA's are longer and heavier. They also have a different type of suspension.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The grizzly is a lighter machine and has a shorter wheelbase than most other ATV's out there. So its far more prone to raise the front end on steep climbs. Before owning my first Grizzly I had several Sportsmans. My last one was a 2up sportsman that was heavy and would climb almost anything. It was very stable because of its long wheel base and width. The heavier sportsmans always felt more confident when climbing steep inclines, I never felt the front end get light. The first time I climbed a steep hill with my Grizzly I almost had to clean my pants out. The front end was getting light and it popped up on me. I did a few things like, changing my riding position when going up steep climbs and I added a little weight on the front end. The positive side in having a light short machine is maneuverability and handling. After I got adjusted to riding the Grizz going back and riding on a sportsman feels like a tank. The extra weight can help and can hurt you. I can use my body english to help maneuver the Grizz. I can pop over logs or rocks that were much harder on the Sportsman. The lighter Grizzly is easier to man handle if you get hung up. My sportsman 2 up was so heavy their was no way I could grab the rear rack and lift the rear end to move it. I can do that with my Grizz.

Just by simply adding a winch to the front(everyone needs a winch), and leaning forward on steep inclines can make a difference. But like @okbear mentioned, something as simple as adding some weight to the front end can make a huge difference in balancing the machine. Good luck and be safe!

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I have a winch , soundbar , lightbar , and a 3 gal. Rotopax can of fuel on my front end and it helps a lot with the light front end feeling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for your replies. This is what I hoped for and even more!! In reading the replies may I say that I do have a forward winch and I do lean forwards when riding uphill. I am riding mountains here in BC so the terrain is very technical...in saying this as my friends have Can Ams they do not have a differential lock as their Can Ams do this automatically in a 'sensor" type thing. I have never used my locking diff....maybe this could be a contributing factor in rare but short steep climbs that cause me grief.

I am taking off my large rear box and buying an ATV -Tec Expedition box for the front. I have purchased 4 of these already for my wife's quad, sons and 2 rideing buddies. Everyone raves about them.

THAXS AGAIN and any additional comments are welcomed

·
Premium Member
12,693 Posts
Be very careful locking the front diff, and I suggest doing/trying this in easier conditions before climbing a technical trail, as it affects the way the grizz steers. There is also a rev limiter that can surprise you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a moose box on the back of my Kodiak. It weighs 40 lbs with nothing in it and hangs over-the-back of the rear axle. Since adding that box I'm very cautious about steep hills. I only weigh a hundred 40 lb you can't get much weight over the front. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Swando, do these boxes impact your vision when mounted on the front of the quad? I have a 2014 700 as well. I have a large cargo box on the rear and want to keep that rack clear for hunting. When i saw the atv tech box you listed i noticed you can lash items down on top of the bag. It looks like i could lash my rifle down on there. Are they in fact waterproof? I have an Ogio honcho soft bag and after a week of constant rain where we go moose hunting, all of my clothing and gear inside is damp. The black fabric also holds mud and only looked good until i went for a ride. I'll try pressure washing it in the spring.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
453 Posts
I have a rather large metal basket on the rear as used mostly for wood gathering and general utility on the property, when I do trails very careful in any climbing with a lot of English forward of the handlebars, on several occasions if not worth it, will find a way around or use the winch to keep the front down. Not one of those who pushes it needlessly. I have had the 660 and 700 rise up and gets my attention so I change my tactics. I usually put a day pack on the front and after reading this, might consider a gas can to balance things out.
You never want to end up under the machine.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I personally don't like or want anything on the front rack blocking my view. I have a wood tray for my chain saw, gas and oil I put on the front when doing trail maintenance. I just hate it.
I do have heavy tires that most likely help hold down the front. Otherwise it is controlled by the rider.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I personally don't like or want anything on the front rack blocking my view. I have a wood tray for my chain saw, gas and oil I put on the front when doing trail maintenance. I just hate it.
I do have heavy tires that most likely help hold down the front. Otherwise it is controlled by the rider.
I don't like a tall box on the front rack either. I tried running a tamarack classic front box on my grizz and didn't like it. I'll run a fuel pack on there when we go on trips or long distance rides, but even still most of the time riding around home I have nothing on the front rack.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Swando, do these boxes impact your vision when mounted on the front of the quad? I have a 2014 700 as well. I have a large cargo box on the rear and want to keep that rack clear for hunting. When i saw the atv tech box you listed i noticed you can lash items down on top of the bag. It looks like i could lash my rifle down on there. Are they in fact waterproof? I have an Ogio honcho soft bag and after a week of constant rain where we go moose hunting, all of my clothing and gear inside is damp. The black fabric also holds mud and only looked good until i went for a ride. I'll try pressure washing it in the spring.
I'm not a hunter but my son is and all his stuff stayed dry....We get a lot of rain in BC but I rarely ride in the rain so "I don't know would be the best answer from me." I will say all of the users like them that I know. I just ordered one 2 days ago and it's already shipped same day. Call Kelly Read at ATV- TEK and you'll get 20% off as well. Best buy out there for under $100 Usd imo. $119 - 20%. plus free shipping

The profile is low enough that it will not block your vision if put on the front...Putting a gun it? It has a metal frame that you assemble and put inside ..it's about 3/8ths tubing. Plenty to support the bag an its contents but if you roll it will get crushed as will most solid or frame bags.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I'm in doubt about climbing steep slopes I bungee a bag of sand on my front rack. I wrapped the plastic bag with duct tape t make it more durable. I used to run the tire pressure the Owner's manual states. After lowing the tire pressure the front tires have more bite and are more predictable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Personally, I'm thinking of mounting this box on the rear. It's water proof, three compression latches, and lockable. It's even the right color.
Tell me about these Rotopax gas cans, are they any good for the front rack? Reccomend size? Is there a better choice for a 2003 660 grizzly?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts