Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy’s I’m new to reading & understanding wiring diagrams. Like the different symbols and all. Maybe one of you guys can help me understand a little bit better. The relay #17 in the picture I added, could someone explain the symbols ? Thanks in advance.

·
Grizzled
3,424 Posts
If I have this right...

Relays are actually pretty simple, yet convenient devices. The concept is to allow current to flow on one or more of the pins, or could also shut off current on a pin, based upon current being active on a different pin. Can also connect ground.

So someone correct me if I'm wrong... but the triangle is representative of a diode that flows current in only one direction. It will not allow back-feed current to flow in the opposite direction. The diode direction flow is the way of the point of the triangle. So in the example of 17, when the blue/red wire is energized, the current flows to the red/black wire but does not allow current to flow in the opposite direction. That means if red/black is energized, the blue/red wire will not be energized. Going further, once the blue/red wire is energized, a switch occurs and connects red/blue to brown/black. There is no direction for the red/blue to brown/black connection. Keep in mind the red/blue to brown/black connection could be either positive or negative.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If I have this right...

Relays are actually pretty simple, yet convenient devices. The concept is to allow current to flow on one or more of the pins, or could also shut off current on a pin, based upon current being active on a different pin. Can also connect ground.

So someone correct me if I'm wrong... but the triangle is representative of a diode that flows current in only one direction. It will not allow back-feed current to flow in the opposite direction. The diode direction flow is the way of the point of the triangle. So in the example of 17, when the blue/red wire is energized, the current flows to the red/black wire but does not allow current to flow in the opposite direction. That means if red/black is energized, the blue/red wire will not be energized. Going further, once the blue/red wire is energized, a switch occurs and connects red/blue to brown/black. There is no direction for the red/blue to brown/black connection. Keep in mind the red/blue to brown/black connection could be either positive or negative.
Thanks for the response RedRocket, I done a good bit of research last night & Iv got a better understanding of it now! You wouldn’t happen to know of any 4 or 5 prong bosh style relays that have the diode in it would you?

·
Grizzled
3,424 Posts
Somehow I missed this. But sadly, no, I do not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts