1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Nice set up.

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
That is a lot of weight, Grizzly will have a very short life expectancy.

love the log trailer, I just carry logs up to the house on my front end loader pallet forks with my 60 Hp 4x4 tractor. My system only works in open fields, not narrow trails.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That load will never hurt that grizzly, especially with a purpose built trailer like that. Those walking arm trailers make log hualing a breeze. My nephew has been hauling just about double that load with his 2014 honda 420 for the last 6 years. That's a much smaller bike, way less hp and torque than the grizzly. Zero issues with it. That grizzly will barely break a sweat hauling those loads, much easier on it than trying to make it wade through fender deep mud everytime it's out like alot of guys do, that takes a real toll on a bike.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Nice set up, its nice to just get out in the woods and do a little work, just wondering does that trailer have hyd power assist at the wheels?

·
Registered
Grizzly 450 2009
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used this setup for 5 years now without problems.
The only mod I have done is locking the rear suspension solid. The trailer is somewhat heavy with 510 KG unloaded. But the wheels on the trailer is hydraulic driven. Uphill is no problem and my biggest worry is going downhill being able to brake. Then I also have to engage the hydraulic drive.

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
How much is a trailer like that with hydraulic drive line assist?

·
Registered
Grizzly 450 2009
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enough to go fully loaded uphill pretty steep inclines. But it goes pretty slow due to low hydraulic flow from pump on the front rack. The pump is powered by a small 6.5 HP engine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I used to get about 4 cords of firewood every year with a Mountain Goat walking beam trailer. I used my Grizzly 700 a couple times, but went back to my Suzuki Vinson because it worked much better going downhill with a heavy load because of the manual transmission. I could put it in low and it would crawl down the hills, where the cvt would continue to pick up speed.

·
Registered
2011 Grizzly 550, 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R
578 Posts
Is there anyone else using your grizzly to pull a log trailer?
Just be careful. I know you have used it for 5 years, but one downhill mishap could kill you. I've seen more than one person get run over by their trailer. It ain't pretty.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
That last pic looks like an impressive load for a little 450

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Not sure if those hydraulic rear drives on those trailers helps with holding it back enough to go down steep hills with a load on.

Reactions: rick25s

·
Registered
577 Posts
I used to get about 4 cords of firewood every year with a Mountain Goat walking beam trailer. I used my Grizzly 700 a couple times, but went back to my Suzuki Vinson because it worked much better going downhill with a heavy load because of the manual transmission. I could put it in low and it would crawl down the hills, where the cvt would continue to pick up speed.
I found just opposite, my engine brake on my 700 kodiak holds back a heavy trailer way better than first gear on my 450 honda foreman with manual trans. The old Honda wood do good until it was a steep long hill then it would get reving too high and have to start locking up the brakes, the kodiak engine brake holds the load nicely
And seldom need to use the brakr

·
Registered
578 Posts
I found just opposite, my engine brake on my 700 kodiak holds back a heavy trailer way better than first gear on my 450 honda foreman with manual trans.
I have rode just about every model ever available (a friend has a big dealership with test trail), and Yamaha's engine braking is by far the best. A strange thing is when I use non-ethanol 89, there is less engine braking than if I use normal 87. Not a big difference, but I notice it right away. Even at that, no other machine can compare with Yamaha's system. I think it has everything to do with the octane rating rather than the lack of ethanol. Non-ethanol is still the way to go.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Not sure if those hydraulic rear drives on those trailers helps with holding it back enough to go down steep hills with a load on.
My nephew's neighbor has a hydrolic asisted trailer like that, and yes it will hold back a loaded trailer provided the tires don't start to slide. He crushed his little 300 Polaris out on his woodlot that way, trail was holding back well, limited the wheel rotation but once he got to a little mossy area, the tires started to slide, and once traction was broken like that, weight and gravity took over. He started sliding down the hill, he bailed, and the bike hit a tree , and the loaded trailer jack knifed and the logs just mangled his little bike. He replaced it with a 500 rubicon.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That sucks, but he's lucky. I saw a faceplant with no time to bail. The trailer ran over everything. That's why I chime in to every trailer pulling post. Information is a good thing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have rode just about every model ever available (a friend has a big dealership with test trail), and Yamaha's engine braking is by far the best. A strange thing is when I use non-ethanol 89, there is less engine braking than if I use normal 87. Not a big difference, but I notice it right away. Even at that, no other machine can compare with Yamaha's system. I think it has everything to do with the octane rating rather than the lack of ethanol. Non-ethanol is still the way to go.
Oh i definitely agree about the superior engine brake on the yamaha, it's miles ahead of the competition. It really has imprrssed me.
I don't really agree with the octane having an effect on it as that has no effect. But I'm not calling you a lier by any means, nothing surprises me though about these bikes now. Lol

·
Registered
577 Posts
That sucks, but he's lucky. I saw a faceplant with no time to bail. The trailer ran over everything. That's why I chime in to every trailer pulling post. Information is a good thing.
He's very lucky, the guy is around 70 years old, so prob about 68 when this accident happened. He goes out and logs with his bike everyday just to keep busy.
I hope i can do stuff like that at that age.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Oh i definitely agree about the superior engine brake on the yamaha, it's miles ahead of the competition. It really has imprrssed me.
No offense taken. Most people may not notice the difference, but I can feel it. It's not a big difference, probably 95% won't notice it, but it's there. I was in the US Coast Guard. I have 'small boat in high seas' sea-legs. I feel every little thing. That's not a great thing. I have tried and tried to get used to riding without the anti-sway bar, because its so much better in the rocks, but I can feel the inconsequential body roll even on straightaways. At my speeds, it's harmless, few would notice it, but it drives me crazy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts