Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stumbled across a 2005 Grizzly 660. Has a plow and winch. It has been used to plow a driveway in the suburbs for the last 10 years. Lived outside under a tent / carport in Hamilton Ontario Canada. Came to purchase an XR250R and CB900F. Considering the condition of the bikes little if any maintenance was done. Rough looking plastic, Rusted out front bumper and mostly bald tires. Going to try to boost and start the best this Friday. Decide if the $2000 he is requesting is worth it.

So from those that know what to look for ??

Thanks all.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,661 Posts
Welcome to GC.

I'll let the knowledgable 660 guys respond to you but also may be a bit late. Did you buy it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a bit late. He wanted it gone and dropped the price. So now I have a grizzly and a sore back. 4 flat tires, one seized front caliper even a 5 pound sledge couldn't move. 100 feet or driveway and only one ramp. Yes not the most well thought out plan but usually I only buy bikes.

It will need:
Drain the varnish from the tank
Carb cleaned or replaced
New battery
Starter relay or safety switches replaced
Front calipers, Pads

Mainly make sure it starts and runs. Then decide what next. At least the winch works 8 more posts to put pics up.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,661 Posts
hehe, congratulations??? :grin2:

Sounds like a good amount of work with some $$$ thrown in.

You are at the right place for 660 knowledge. There are a good many on here with the knowledge if you're running into issues getting it fixed up.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Welcome to GC from Maine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still waiting on title. He never registered it in his name and lost the paperwork. the company he purchased it from has been very helpful. Sent a pic of the ownership and said it was put in the mail.

I see a lot of new $60-$70 carbs on ebay. I assume these are chines replicas. Has anyone tried one ??

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Welcome to Gc from Tn. congrats on the new to you Grizz. My buddy has bought a couple of the cheap Ebay carbs for a couple of old Hondas and had good luck with them but don't know about for Yamahas.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Still waiting on title. He never registered it in his name and lost the paperwork. the company he purchased it from has been very helpful. Sent a pic of the ownership and said it was put in the mail.

I see a lot of new $60-$70 carbs on ebay. I assume these are chines replicas. Has anyone tried one ??
Carb kits are cheap and rebuilding is easy. And then you have an OEM carb moving forward. I would only ever install a Chinese carb as a last resort. We get lots of new users on hondaatvforums.net that come there cause they can't get the Chinese ones to go right. Rebuild OEM and good to go. I've personally revived 3 old ATV's that sat for years recently with rebuilding the OEM carbs.

Edit: if after rebuilding you still can't get the stock carb to go, these guys stand behind their used parts: http://store.powersportsnation.com/yamaha-grizzly-660-03-05-carburetor-carb-15369/

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have to say I have little experience with the carbs themselves but I would say a rebuild kit, that is not everything for the carb, for $35 or a carb, (this is on Amazon) for $45 I would go with a carb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello from Alabama, I have an 06, 660 Special Edition, use it for riding and hunting, it has roughly 1,800 miles on it with no issues WHATSOEVER, BULLET PROOF so far, I keep it inside my garage so that helps, bought it new from a wholesale company for $6,400 and it has payed for itself pulling deer out of the woods and planting food plots, I think you'll like yours once you get it all up and going ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK a little bit of work on the ATV today. Got the carb out. I have been disassembling the carb. I have been very careful as nothing wants to move. One question. In the second pic the large screw at the back of the pic. What does it do ?? it does not want to move.

I would have done more but I had to remove and rebuild the 1981 CB900F carbs and the XR250R carb. Both up and running now and yes I'm getting sick of carb cleaning. why do so many people leave the toys with the fuel in the on position ??

Thanks

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Ohya title never showed. Back to emailing the company.
Here in WA state we can do a abandoned vehicle title, it goes into the system, and 2 years later if nobody reports it stolen we get a real title. Anything like that where you are?
Of course getting the goods from the source company is best but if they fail out on you...
+1 on rebuilding the OEM carb. But for that price, you could maybe get it running with the Chinese carb, and use that while you carefully rebuild the OEM carb.
Sounds like you got yourself a project.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
OK a little bit of work on the ATV today. Got the carb out. I have been disassembling the carb. I have been very careful as nothing wants to move. One question. In the second pic the large screw at the back of the pic. What does it do ?? it does not want to move.

Thanks

Don't worry about that screw. It's just a plug. You don't need to remove it.

Things to look for on your Grizzly.
1) Rear diff movement in the frame. Common issue to happen. Be best to install or make a rear diff brace. Easy to do.
2) Front driveshaft, engine side coupler wear. Well documented issue.
For insurance to keep the splines from wearing, elongate the diff mounting holes and move the diff back in the frame about 3/16"-1/4". Never have a problem again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to GC. Got my 02 Grizzly for $2300. I was also told that it was used to plow the driveway but has lots of wear and tear for only driveway plowing. Good luck with making it ride worthy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts