Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just some thoughts - If you're afraid of the Kodiak because of the sealed brake and wheel bearings, I believe the sealed rear brake is really designed to last the life of the machine (or very close). Yamaha also uses very high quality Koyo brand wheel bearings. Since you don't ride much mud anymore, you would likely go thousands of miles on a Kodiak or Grizzly before needing to replace the bearings.
Yeah im not to worried about wheel bearings i have replaced so many ATV wheel bearings over the years it's like changing oil at this point. My Zuki had Japanese bearings in it but it spent a lot of it's early life in sandy mud/water creeks.

I would rather pull a caliper off and slap some pads on than have to pull the diff out to replace clutch packs. I think it was this forum lastnight i was reading where a guy in another country had to have his diff clutch packs replaced and his mechanic could not find the right clutches. I think it was a midyear change from solid axle to IRS if i remember right but he did find them. I prefer simplicity and i would pay more for it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah im not to worried about wheel bearings i have replaced so many ATV wheel bearings over the years it's like changing oil at this point. My Zuki had Japanese bearings in it but it spent a lot of it's early life in sandy mud/water creeks.

I would rather pull a caliper off and slap some pads on than have to pull the diff out to replace clutch packs. I think it was this forum lastnight i was reading where a guy in another country had to have his diff clutch packs replaced and his mechanic could not find the right clutches. I think it was a midyear change from solid axle to IRS if i remember right but he did find them. I prefer simplicity and i would pay more for it.
I think you either misread what they were saying about replacing rear brake clutch packs or the guy posting it mistyped it, if his were ruined there's a very good chance that he used the wrong diff oil which would be his fault not the brakes.
You will never replace the pads on the Kodiak rear brakes. Oil bated brakes are basically lifetime brakes. That was one of the main reasons I bought the Kodiak. First time I ever drive my buddies 750 brute force, I accidentally left the parking brake engaged. I wasn't used to the power Sai I didn't notice any resistance when I gunned it. 20km later, diff oil was billing and spraying out of the vent tube on my jacket. We didn't know what the oil was... Until a couple weeks later he thought about the brake. Tire the diff apart to replace the pads only to discover they were still like new.
20km at foll lock is actually alot of use compared to normal usage. The dealer figured we probably put more wear on the brakes in that 20 km than most people would in the life of the bike... Plus it was done in boiling oil. That sold me on oil bathed brakes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Personally, I think you would be better off to get 700 Kodiak eps where you'll get the lower center of gravity the same engine as the grizzly take the money that you save and invest in a set of 1-in wheel spacers which will give you the same width as a grizzly. Some grizzly clutch weights that will give you the same performance as a grizzly, not that the Kodiak is a slouch, but the lighter weights really wake it up. Then you'll also have wheel brakes that you will never have to change and you will always have brakes no matter if you go through water or mud you don't have to wait for them to dry out, another benefit of oil bathed brakes. Also with the Kodiak you'll have 12-in rims which are much better on an ATV . And you can put your choice of tire size and type on there instead of being stuck with the zilla's that are not really ideal trail riding tires, there are much better choices out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think you either misread what they were saying about replacing rear brake clutch packs or the guy posting it mistyped it, if his were ruined there's a very good chance that he used the wrong diff oil which would be his fault not the brakes.
You will never replace the pads on the Kodiak rear brakes. Oil bated brakes are basically lifetime brakes. That was one of the main reasons I bought the Kodiak. First time I ever drive my buddies 750 brute force, I accidentally left the parking brake engaged. I wasn't used to the power Sai I didn't notice any resistance when I gunned it. 20km later, diff oil was billing and spraying out of the vent tube on my jacket. We didn't know what the oil was... Until a couple weeks later he thought about the brake. Tire the diff apart to replace the pads only to discover they were still like new.
20km at foll lock is actually alot of use compared to normal usage. The dealer figured we probably put more wear on the brakes in that 20 km than most people would in the life of the bike... Plus it was done in boiling oil. That sold me on oil bathed brakes.

I didn't even think about having to run a special diff fluid in it with a wet brake. I would have dumped Lucas gear oil in it without even thinking about it. I run Lucas in everything because i buy it by the gallon and run it in my jeeps and Toyotas. The wet brake sounds more durable than i thought but i hate having to keep special fluids around and trying to remember to use them. I change my diff fluids regularly because water always finds a way in.

This Grizzly/Kodiak decision is becoming more difficult. The Kodiak would save me money up front and having a better turning radius and come in green. But the Grizzly would fit my style when it comes to working on the thing. I have no interest in replacing clutch parts and i would never run wheel spaces on anything. My ATV is the one thing i just dont have to think about or replace stuff on if it dont absolutely need it besides general maintenance.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well wheel spacers were just a suggestion if you wanted to be the same width as the grizzly. I have a Kodiak and I haven't encountered anything in 2 years that has made it feel unstable. I do alot of playing around oils abandoned mines here in Northern Ontario, and logging roads, clear cuts, gravel pits, and random trails through the bush. The mine sites have some pretty sketchy places to ride to go see the old structures, again, never felt tippy when off camber riding. I like the narrower machine (which is about the same width as any other 500 to 700 class bike....grizzly is wider than most), the bike handles narrow trails way better. Much more nimble in tight turns on a twisty trail.
As for diff fluid, only difference is it was a friction modifier in it, like you would use on a regular LSD in a jeep or truck.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
For 50" trails you can beat the Kodi with a Griz. My machines are 50" with the rims and tires. They are lighter with a tighter turning radius. Kodi aren't as tall great for ducking under fallen trees and brush. The ride may or may not be as good as the Grizz but on a tight twist rough trail, ride is the last thing to worry about. Change the roller weights to 20's or 22's and you have a Sporterized Griz.
Last August the day I brought the 19 Kodi home. Before I put on the beadlocks and new Growlers.

Reactions: Diamondgator

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
For 50" trails you can beat the Kodi with a Griz. My machines are 50" with the rims and tires. They are lighter with a tighter turning radius. Kodi aren't as tall great for ducking under fallen trees and brush. The ride may or may not be as good as the Grizz but on a tight twist rough trail, ride is the last thing to worry about. Change the roller weights to 20's or 22's and you have a Sporterized Griz.
Last August the day I brought the 19 Kodi home. Before I put on the beadlocks and new Growlers.
View attachment 99157
Good looking bike! But Looks much better with the Growlers! I'm kinda biast like that! Lol

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
468 Posts
View attachment 99157
Pretty sure you meant to say you can't beat a Kodiak with a grizzly... Lol
And it's true, in my 2018 Kodiak SE, I have 18gm weights and a machined sheave and cam plate, and it's now a grizzly eater. But even stock, it was quick and handled really well. this thing is nimble in tight trails.
I'm still thinking of 1" spacers all around to push my 26" reptile radials out for that extra stability.
Gonna be fun and interesting this winter with a set of tracks on it. I'm just begging for a big dump of snow... Lol

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Pretty sure you meant to say you can't beat a Kodiak with a grizzly... Lol
And it's true, in my 2018 Kodiak SE, I have 18gm weights and a machined sheave and cam plate, and it's now a grizzly eater. But even stock, it was quick and handled really well. this thing is nimble in tight trails.
I'm still thinking of 1" spacers all around to push my 26" reptile radials out for that extra stability.
Gonna be fun and interesting this winter with a set of tracks on it. I'm just begging for a big dump of snow... Lol

I strongly recommended you give 1" spacers a try. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Bring me yours so I can try them first before I buy!
It's only a 3hr drive..... Lol

I get to Sudbury in 2 hrs flat, as long as there's no construction.... Lol

I would lend them, but I don't have spacers no more.

1" Spacers I had were on my 2009 550 witch is sold. My 2019 Grizzly has no need for spacers

·
Registered
468 Posts
I get to Sudbury in 2 hrs flat, as long as there's no construction.... Lol

I would lend them, but I don't have spacers no more.

1" Spacers I had were on my 2009 550 witch is sold. My 2019 Grizzly has no need for spacers
But I'm 40 min North of Sudbury, and there's lots of construction right now.....
Well that's not an excuse, go buy another set, bring them to me to try.... Lol

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Good looking bike! But Looks much better with the Growlers! I'm kinda biast like that! Lol
I don't take many pictures of my rig took awhile to find these.

One with my favorite riding Bud

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you need to decide what is more important, color or bike features.
I have never had anyone ever care what color my griz is, after the first mud hole they all look the same or you're not trying hard enough. I got a green one for hunting, it doesn't stand out in the woods so the game warden doesn't see it and come snooping around. They use glasses to find you then walk in through your hunting area and screw everything up.
If a good 700 is too tall for you, get a little baby 450. My 5'2" g.f. doesn't have a problem riding a big griz and has never complained it is 'tippy'. The one thing she can do on it is take it out for a couple hours, cover it with mud and not have mud on herself.
As for tires and other features, I looked at a base model with eps to get 12" wheels with cheap tires. The money saved here can be put into mods for the best set-up. If you are financing, you are at the mercy of the company and have very few choices, take what you can get.
These bikes have two clutches, on for the starter and one for the engine crank, the belt rides in pulleys we can modify for better low end performance and higher m.p.g. I learned this because I installed taller tires. It is the diameter that does the most to screw up the performance, not the weight of a tire like some think. I can put 100#s of beer on my front rack and still haul ass, or a big 'f'in rock and not notice a difference in pulling. I do notice the weight causing the bike to roll, but it still hauls ass.
This picture shows the front a-arms, and the hill I am about to go down;
https://flic.kr/p/fr9FzX You can see the a-arms after the rock;
https://flic.kr/p/froXt1 and past the rock ,back up the hill;
https://flic.kr/p/froW7W I am at tree line, the oxygen in the air is down about 44%, so the engine is also down the same amount. I am running 26" O.G.'s, 11% taller than stock for my bike, and with maxed out c.v.t. mods for the pulleys I have no problem. And the rock is full of gold, silver and lead along with a fair amount of quartz crystal and weighs about 200#s.
PROBABLY FOOLS GOLD / IRON PYRITE? HAHA ??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I talked to my local Yamaha dealer about an XTR and they told me they have one on order. They said they would put a hold on it so i am guaranteed to get it but they do not know when it will be in it could "be next year". Next year is only a month away so im not sure if they mean 40 days or 365. I am kind of ton on what i should do because i like the atv i just dont want one set up for mud.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts