Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking to buy a new Grizzly within the next few weeks. so im just going to oder the new tires with it but im having a hard time finding which tire i should go with. im leaning more to the 28 or 29.5 terminators or the 28 motoboss. so if anyone has this set up please let me know what you think about those tires or if anyone has a different set up that they like please feel free to comment and post a picture of what you have.

and can i run 29.5 without a lift?

·
Registered
800 Posts
What type of Grizzly are you getting? I know of lots of guys on here who run 30's on their 660's and have no trouble. I believe that if you have a 700 you are going want to stick with 28's if you want to do anything besides mudding. I bet some guys like @DrMud and @NCMUDMAN could help you, along with the users @dezz @jesus_is_lord @Mud708 and maybe even @OpDawg. Lots of mudders here so this should get some attention.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id be getting the 2018 eps grizzly. i mean i have no problem putting a lift if i need to but kinda dont want to. i just want to buy the 29.5 terms because i can get them for the same price as the 28s so why not get the bigger size

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
What type of riding and terrain will you going over is the first question that needs answering. Then we need to know your budget.

Too many people get the wrong tire because it's "looks cool". Once the novelty wears off they regret the purchase or simply go online and start making negative comments, more importantly saying that a tire or product is garbage. In most cases, the product they are complaining about is not garbage. It's simply they are using the wrong "tool" (product) for the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we mostly travel to go ride so it would be something good for anything really. terms are popular here and the price is not really an option for me. and i heard a lot of good thing about terms so thats why i was going to go with them. i more worried about fitting the 29.5 on stock height with the shocks cranked up

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mines a 2008 700 and the 29.5 fits fine at stock height. I actually removed a 2 inch level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Mines a 2008 700 and the 29.5 fits fine at stock height. I actually removed a 2 inch level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would appear you’ve trimmed the plastic (rear bottom), otherwise it’s trimmed itself!

-Opie

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
If your looking for a mud oriented tire with trail manners, then the Terminators are hard to beat. Good tire.
The

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
id be getting the 2018 eps grizzly. i mean i have no problem putting a lift if i need to but kinda dont want to. i just want to buy the 29.5 terms because i can get them for the same price as the 28s so why not get the bigger size

Have you thought about clutch (and possibly HP upgrades)? 29.5 or even 28 are going to drop you down a peg or two in the torque department...

-Opie

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
It’s tough to balance mud and trail performance. What kind of mud are talking about here. Deep thick peanut butter mud or run of the mill trail mud? What do you do the most?

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
My son ran 29.5 with a 2 mm shim and white spring, that was on a Grizzly 700 2010. If you are going to mud that is fine, expect to tear up a bunch of axles. Maybe a rear end, etc. Go ahead and buy the T shirt that says we void warranties. If the budget can stand it, hit it. If money is a little closer, buy a camera and join team go around.

Now that my son lost his ride sponsor, he either stays tore up or goes around more.
YouTube channel from back in the day....MrMudder16

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
I've never ran them but don't the Zillas have good mud capabilities with trail manors.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have 30 inch silverback mt2 on my wife grizz. Had to put a lift so it wouldn't rub. I would look into maxxis zillas. They are really light but run a little smaller than advertised so you would have no problem running a 30. I really liked the pair that I had for mud and trail. Also, keep in mind for that size of tire you will need to do shim mod or machined sheave and change your secondary spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've never ran them but don't the Zillas have good mud capabilities with trail manors.
Weak sidewall, bead is prone to get crud jammed in there (slow air leaks), and the tread doesn't last very long. But, they are nice and light with very good traction. A buddy of mine went through 2 sets of Zilla's while I am still using the XTR's I had before he got his first set of Zilla's.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Weak sidewall, bead is prone to get crud jammed in there (slow air leaks), and the tread doesn't last very long. But, they are nice and light with very good traction. A buddy of mine went through 2 sets of Zilla's while I am still using the XTR's I had before he got his first set of Zilla's.
The Zilla wears faster because it uses a softer, lighter weight rubber compound. That is it's secret to being the lightest tire per size in ATV tires, yet still offer an aggressive, fairly deep tread pattern.

The XTR uses ITP's extended wear rubber compound, which made it's first debut in the famed 589 tire. The XTR is also heavy per size, and are known to have weak sidewalls as well.

It's about compromise. Unfortunately people do not want to compromise. They want it all. They want a tire that has 2" deep lugs but rides smooth as glass, never wears out, cannot be punctured, light weight and is cheap.
We can't have it all. You got to prioritize what is most important and least important....and make your decision from that.

Reactions: MORSNO and Vincent
1 - 15 of 15 Posts