Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 grizzly 700’s and looking to upgrade to a larger mud tire and possibly 2” lift. The areas we ride have a lot of mud holes and muskeg and has been frustrating getting to these holes and having to turnaround while other machines with the mud tires blast through. My wife has a concern though for her machine. How much more “tippy” will it feel with bigger rubber and lift kit. Should I forego the lift and if so what would the max size of tires that I could go with without rubbing. Quads are a 2013 and 2016. Looking to get zilla’s or mayhem’s. Hopefully they won’t be to rough riding going slow on hard pack.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have 2 grizzly 700’s and looking to upgrade to a larger mud tire and possibly 2” lift. The areas we ride have a lot of mud holes and muskeg and has been frustrating getting to these holes and having to turnaround while other machines with the mud tires blast through. My wife has a concern though for her machine. How much more “tippy” will it feel with bigger rubber and lift kit. Should I forego the lift and if so what would the max size of tires that I could go with without rubbing. Quads are a 2013 and 2016. Looking to get zilla’s or mayhem’s. Hopefully they won’t be to rough riding going slow on hard pack.
@Gube, I don't know much about mud tires, but the two you mentioned seem quite popular, must be a reason. I do know that you can go up to least 27" without a lift, and I seem to recall that 28" is do-able, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Which bike does your wife ride? The 2016 has a wider stance than the 2013, which is the same as my 2008. You could consider adding wheel spacers for a wider stance. As you probably already know, big tires, lifts, spacers, etc. all increase the stress and wear and tear on your axles, cv joints and boots and wheel bearings. Adding bigger tires and powering through mud and muskeag will likely mean that you will want to do some clutch mods to increase your available torque. A lot of guys go to 27" Zillas, no lift, add wheel spacers, and either shim and spring the clutch, or send the clutch out to Arnie for the Coop45 stage 3 mod. If you did all of that, that Grizz will rip through about whatever you want to, and still handle well. Have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fo the info. My wife rides the 2013 and loves her machine. Just need to be able to rip through the mud holes better than what they do now. She’s just worried if it will feel tippy with the bigger tires.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Zillas are a great option but not a dedicated mud tire, if thats what you are looking for. I run 30’s and 2 inch lift on my wife’s grizzly and she still gets around the tight trails at speed with no problem. Never heard her complain about feeling tippy. Zillas are I light tire so If you went with 28’s you could get away with just the shin mod IMO

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
Raising the center of gravity will change the balance point, but that a rider will learn to compensate for.
She'll probably start slow and work up to her comfort level with the new ride height and may not make it through at first, so have a winch point handy:)
If you add wheel spacers later, know these add extra stress to the bearing so keep an eye out for bearing play and looseness.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The MudZilla is more specialized toward mostly mud, as the name suggests. The Zilla is pretty aggressive, not as much as the MudZilla, and has a center tread area that helps with ride quality on harder surfaces. The Kenda Executioner is a good mud and soft terrain tire, plus the AMS Swamp Fox looks good too. The Maxxis MudBug is another good one, and those Mayhems look good. There really are too many choices. How much of your riding is on harder surfaces compared to soft? What do the guys you ride with have that works well for them?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
You can run 30's on a Grizzly 700 with no lift. They fit easily.
If you going that big, I suggest going with a lightweight tire. The Maxxis Zilla is the lightest per size that you can get. But like already mentioned, they are not a full dedicated mud tire, if that's what your looking for.

The Mudzilla is a full dedicated mud tire, but it struggles against other pure mud tires in muskeg. The tread bars are too vertical on the tire, which means it doesn't give a good bite in the mud to propel you forward. These tires are also extremely heavy. Still a great tire though as it is very durable and wear resistant.... just not for great for muskeg.

The Executioners are pretty decent tires in the skeg due to there tread design. They are also very durable and wear resistant. But contrary to popular belief, they are not full dedicated mud tires, and sizes are limited.

In the skeg, one of the best options is the Highlifter Outlaws. But these tires wear fast on trail usage, and they are very expensive to purchase.

There is other great options for skeg tires, but we need to know exactly what kind of tire your looking for. Do you want full dedicated mud tires?

Riding with a lift and big tires will not make the bike dangerously tippy. Yes it will be tippier, but I doubt your wife will notice it that much and will get use to it very quickly.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
16 Posts
28” Zillas are as big as you want to go without a lift. I barely have an inch of clearance without the lift kit. I don’t see how anyone is running a 30” without cuttIng the lip in the back fender.

28” Zillas with a highlifter liftkit equals 17” inches of clearance on a 2011.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the updates. The guys I ride with pretty much just use stock tires. We have radial reptiles on our newer machines and bear claws on my 2002 600. Our terrain is about half and half for mud holes and harder pack trails. Half of those mud holes are muskeg. I will post some pics once I decide on the new rims and rubber and when they are installed. I really appreciate the knowledge base of the folks on this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts