Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 660 Grizz with about 45hours on the ticker,I crawled under the bike the other day and noticed the front driveshaft coming from the tranny to the front diff was loose,like it wobbled a bit,it sildes front to rear about 1/2-3/4",I figure it must have a snap ring at both ends keeping it in and I have no leaks just was not sure if this was normal .the rear shaft has no play and it tight as a drum.sometimes I hear a clunk when deaccelerating or jumping around trails and the only thing loose is this particular shaft

·
Ron
3,076 Posts
That doesn't sound right, I would investigate further...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe if a few people could check their grizzly 660's out it would be cool,I checked it in neutral sitting flat ,read up on a few boards and quite a few people have this "loose" feeling shaft in the front,don't know if the snap rings are not holding it in tight or if it floats a little,I have not had any leaks,pops,grinds or vibrations so any input thats productive will be def. be appreciated and help build our search data base.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anybody mind checking their grizzly's for me and see if there is any play in the front shaft.thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
my 06 with 1100 km on it is the same way, i went to the dealership and they said some play is exceptable but it seems to be way to much to me. i have 1/2 to 3/4" movement also. i looked at a new machine while i was there and it did have some play but not as much as mine. it seems to me the shaft looks to short and doesnt engage the splines correctly

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Sounds like your front diff bolts loosened off. This is common on the rear diff of the Rhinos. Id put the shafts back in, and check all your diff securing bolts on the front. And lock-tite them

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have a 2004 660 with 1800 miles and the front driveshaft is a little loose on it. When I just hit my back brakes, I can hear it clunk a little. The slack really isn't too bad, but I figured where the 660 has the rear brakes on the rear driveshaft is what makes it so noticeable. When I use my front brakes only, it doesn't make a noise.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The front drive shafts on the 660 are know to wear if you ride in mud and water. The problem is the splines on the rear don't fulling engage into the rear coupler, allowing water and mud in there pushing out the grease, causing the splines to wear and then the shaft will wobble and have a lot of play in it.. there is no snap rings on the front drive shaft, just slides in and there a spring in the coupler keeping tension on it. I just got done ordered new couplers and drive shaft for mine, and sent them out to Turnercycles, to be modified, so I don't have this problem any more..

·
Registered
4 Posts
anybody mind checking their grizzly's for me and see if there is any play in the front shaft.thanks in advance
I have the same on my 04 660. Front joint on engine end wobbles. I thought it was a bearing but from what I've been seeing it sounds more like a worn spline.

·
Premium Member
8,795 Posts
Replace the couplings and the shaft. Elongate the dif frame side mounting holes 3/16" toward the engine. This take up the slack and help prevent the wear and wobble in the future.

Reactions: crvttbass

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replace the couplings and the shaft. Elongate the dif frame side mounting holes 3/16" toward the engine. This take up the slack and help prevent the wear and wobble in the future.
Any suggestions on a good place to get these parts?

·
Premium Member
8,795 Posts
Partzilla, Partshark, there are many others. The coupling needs to be OEM. Considering that most folks don't use 4wd that often a knock off shaft can be use. I used a Qlink for 3-4k miles it was still tight when I sold my 660.

Reactions: crvttbass
1 - 13 of 13 Posts