Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am working on an 89 yamaha Pro hauler. I beleive it shares quite a few parts with the timberwolf. I am wondering how to go about removing the lower cam chain sproket from the crankshaft. I am wanting to replace the crank bearings but as far as the parts list from yamaha, it shows the cank bearing/cam gear and the half of the crank to be one piece. Can it just be pressed off? or will that destroy the sproket?

ALSO, the main reason i have this engine dissasembled was that i pulled the oil filter,. and it had each rib of the filter completely full of metal shavings, and a little more in the crankcase. It looked like a trans gear was going to be ground smooth. I have checked over each and every gear, bearing and shaft and cant seem to see where this would be coming from. Is there a common place that these engines fail? I am stumped on where these shavings could have come from. The piston is in perfect shape, the bore looks like new, the head hasnt had anything beat against it. I am stumpped!

Thanks for the replies, i am looking forward to what you guys have to say.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Maybe it was the first time the filter was changed or looked at if you are not the first owner? After breakin when it was new they will be a significant amount of metal in the oil and filter. As far as the timberwolf lower cam chain sprocket it's part of the crank. Most Likey the same on the pro hauler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts