Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Machined clutch

5K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  wgc 
#1 ·
Hello , looking for advise on my clutch I had a shop that told me maching is the way to go . So got it done I’m not impressed. My clutch is only running 2.6 maybe on ratio the low end torques not there at all if I shim it I can get 2 mil shims in there still before it touches the cover what’s going on if it was machined shouldn’t I be able to max fit .7 mil ? Thanks

#36 ·
Hello everyone ,
I’ve got a few updates , today I put in shims 1.5 and switched to gold spring , running mix 19.8/17g average of 18.4 g really impressed with how this machines preforms now I even tried to go to 1.7 shim and that was a no go screws were touching the cage and belt was so low it was riding on the collar and rubbing the belt . I guess they must have machined something as 1.5 seems to be my max .. also did a ratio and at 1 rotation I’m 4 over,, as var as I can figure out that’s 2:85:1 I think could be wrong ..

#37 ·
I was thinking 1.5mm shim was very close to max on a stock sheave, .7mm on Coops machined sheave, I think you might have very little taken off your sheave or even this shop may have through your balance off for the way your belt is suppose to travel in the sheave for the price they charged you, you could have stuck with your stock sheave adding 1.5 mm and made very close to the same gains. Coops only!!

#39 · (Edited)
1.5mm is pretty much the max on a 700. At 1.7mm you get belt rub on the cover. It really sounds like that sheave want machined down, more like cleaned up with a rard buff, or possibly ballanced as Griz7 said.

Where are you getting the numbers due your weights? What brand are they? Pretty sure they aren't oem, i don't recall yamaha having 17gr weights, i was pretty sure they only had 14, 16, 18, 20, 30. No odd numbers, and definitely no decimal point numbers.

Are they epi weights? Are you weighing them with or without the covers?

Why did you choose a gold spring? What are you running for tires on this bike?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#40 ·
1.5mm is pretty much the max on a 700. At 1.7mm you get belt rub on the cover. It really sounds like that sheave want machined down, more like cleaned up with a rard buff, or possibly ballanced as Griz7 said.

Where are you getting the numbers due your weights? What brand are they? Pretty sure they aren't oem, i don't recall yamaha having 17gr weights, i was pretty sure they only had 14, 16, 18, 20, 30. No odd numbers, and definitely no decimal point numbers.

Are they epi weights? Are you weighing them with or without the covers?

Why did you choose a gold spring? What are you running for tires on this bike?

The weights I’ve weighed them all oem part number
3b4-17632. 19.8447 with cover
5km -17632 -17.0097 with cover
5GH -17632 -14.1748 with cover

I understand someone back in the day someone said those same numbers came out at 700 was 18 g 20 with cover
660 was 16 and 18 with cover
450 was 12 and 14 with cover
But there actually not

as for tires there 28” zillas I know there really lite tires but I also run 27” silverbacks and 27 dirt commanders just depends on where I’m going the gold felt the best for my style of riding , I found the purple just didn’t have that low punch I was looking for maybe down the road I’ll switch the green spring witch is right in the middle gold punch with purple back shift

#44 ·
A person could attach a piece of wire to the CVT case then bend it over the dial as an indicator.
Only need one revolution of the primary.

#46 ·
reogem- well damn if that ain't trick. I got so use to Ridgways using the primary for the count that I'm really impressed with this. However just one question. I noticed that the 120 degree line doesn't look like it's in the exact middle of the of the arc between the 180 & 90 degree lines? I'm thinking it should be exactly 45 degrees, and it doesn't appear to be. Keep in mind that I'm old and my eyesight (and other things, lol) are going. Have absolutely no experience with NASA. Thanks Rick.

Reactions: reogem
#51 ·
reogem- well damn if that ain't trick. I got so use to Ridgways using the primary for the count that I'm really impressed with this. However just one question. I noticed that the 120 degree line doesn't look like it's in the exact middle of the of the arc between the 180 & 90 degree lines? I'm thinking it should be exactly 45 degrees, and it doesn't appear to be. Keep in mind that I'm old and my eyesight (and other things, lol) are going. Have absolutely no experience with NASA. Thanks Rick.
It isn't the middle, 120 isn't 45 deg from 90, it's 135deg. (90+45=135...135+45=180)

#47 ·
Turn the primary just one revolution. The secondary will only turn part of a revolution. For example if your ratio is 3:1 when you turn the PRIMARY one revolution the SECONDARY will turn 120° or 1/3 of a full (360°) revolution.

#48 ·
@wgc 45° mark falls approximately on the 2.67 ratio mark.
I drew this on my cad program it should be 1000 times more actuate than a sharpie mark eyed up with a bolt hole and a fender point..
FYI the red and green marks are at 22.5° intervals.

Reactions: wgc
#49 ·
reogem- Thanks I'll disregard the placement of the line and and use this. I have all the faith in you brother, wasn't doubting, just my "curious minds want to know" thing. I agree with your more accurate statement although I never did that sharpie thing anyway. Thanks Rick this should make it a lot easier for people to get a good accurate ratio count. Everyone in the community should appreciate this as well. Bill

Reactions: reogem
#50 ·
1/360th of a secondary rotation is closer than 1/24th of a primary rotation :)

#52 ·
CanadianKodiak- Well Geeze, thanks for pointing that out to me. reogem all ready stated that the 45 degree line would fall around the 2.67 mark. But thanks for the math class.

#54 ·
Well thanks, Bud. I was obviously lost but seeing that the conversation was between reogem and myself I didn't appreciate your comments. reogem answered them for me 2 days ago. No harm done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.