Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing this to hopefully help someone down the road on mods to their grizzly.
I’m Speaking from first hand experience with my machine.

I have done the shim mod, all the way up to 1.8mm shim. Then I did the 4/450 weights and 4/700 weights. After that looking for more low end I had Coop45 machine a new sheave for me (mod#3) and went ahead and had him get me a secondary from eBay, he serviced it for me and installed a EPI gold spring, I went ahead and added a .5mm shim with his sheave and a new OEM belt while I had it tore down again.

Ok had this thing apart several times, put back together several times and everything was put back together by specs and TQ’ed to spec.

I am going to be brutally honest here, and I know every machine could potentially respond different (meaning some better than others), on my machine there was no night and day difference between all the mods, it did respond and runs good, but I am not getting easy wheelies like some people say on-here with 28’s again maybe their machine responded better than mine and yes I am jealous lol, but seriously I have put a good bit of time and money in machine seeking that one thing that would blow my mind, it didn’t happen with 28 Zillas on my machine.

When it was stock and had stock OEM tires she would pull the front up with ease in high and felt quicker, being honest here.

The big difference in my machine was the tires, 28’s take away a lot from my machine anyway, point pick your tires wisely first time around and if you go big be prepared for the loss, again maybe your machine will respond better hopefully it will.

I am going back to 26” tires soon
Hopefully that little bit helps someone and don’t spend the $$$ to chase that better power, my conclusion is the grizzly just don’t have the grunt let’s say like a brute force, canam twins and you will continue to chase something that’s not there, be happy with a super nice, reliable and very capable machine but not a powerhouse.

·
Premium Member
9,860 Posts
What is the roll-out of your current tires?
your current ratio?
and your starting ratio?
Why the mixed weights?
Was this wheely thing from a standing start?
and were your tires hooking up or spinning?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Are you 100% sure one of the roller weights has not fallen out of its channel during reassembly? It happens more than you think.
I've had people tell me straight to my face, "no that did not happen. I know what what I'm doing. I put it together right. This thing is just a piece of @#$^. Something else is wrong".....then I open open it up and have a look, and find a roller weight out of its channel, flipped on its side and crushed by the camplate and sheave.

While you are 100% correct on the power thing. Grizzly's are not twins and will not match twin performance, at least not easily or cheaply or reliably. But in your situation, I would make sure everything you did is correct. Additionally to this, I would remove the staggered weights. Staggered weights prematurely wear the camplate and sheave roller channels at the heavier weight locations.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Maybe this a too much spring force to little primary weight scenario. Cvt can't up shift fast enough. Definitely try 8 stock weights as mentioned.

P.S. My Grizzly doesn't not pop wheelies without a fare bit of body English. I have observed the same with my buddies 09 700

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personally, I believe you have 3 issues at play here.
#1, I'll lay money on it you have a flipped weight. It happens easily. I did it and put 300km on with it flipped sideways, hinders performance greatly.
#2 using 2 different roller weights, this won't yeild the same result as using 8 the same, get yourself 8 20 or 18 gram weights.
#3, that goes spring... Way too heavy for only 28" zillas, install a purple spring and you should be right where you need to be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will tear her down again and put 8 18 gram weights (is there a better roller weight than OEM)?

I will switch the Gold to a purple and see what happens also

I can tear it down pretty quick now lol after doing it several times

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
51 Posts
I’d be interested to hear the results , mainly on the spring swap.
I have a coops sheave and as recommended by Arnie I have a gold spring fitted , running 27” htr’s.
I don’t know if that’s correct or whether I too would somehow benefit from a drop to a purple.
If I did , what would I actually feel difference wise please ?
The only issue I have is lack of availability in the UK, there is simply very little available for tuning of any description so would have to order the spring from the US.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I will tear her down again and put 8 18 gram weights (is there a better roller weight than OEM)?

I will switch the Gold to a purple and see what happens also

I can tear it down pretty quick now lol after doing it several times
I don't believe I've ever heard any other weights being superior to the stockers.

That said

I think your on the right track

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
51 Posts
Well , I have taken the plunge and ordered a purple one from epi , $96.00 inc shipping , and then I’ll have my pants pulled down by customs at this end for import duty :cry:
I have some shims coming from the US as well, $28.00 shipped :oops: so I can have a play about whilst it’s all apart.

I’m thinking I may go greaseless at the same time too , am I correct in reading I can just use the factory weights / sliders minus the grease with no issues?
Many thanks
( apologies for jumping in on this thread OP, thought it would be relevant in a fashion)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, OEM's can be used greaseless, that's how mine are. I really don't find them any louder, maybe just a tad.
Are you in Canada? I really hate to say it but you got bent over and done dry with the prices of the shims and spring.
I paid $63 cdn to my door for the epi purple.
$8 for 2 shims to my door (0.5 & 1.0mm)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Threw the Epi site. My Orange spring cost me 95$ with shipping

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
Dalton Industries is a Canadian Company based in Truro, Nova Scotia
39.00 cdn for springs.
Since they use different color coding you would need to contact them as to what the spring forces are.
Dalton Industries

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
51 Posts
Hi ,
Thanks for the heads up on the weights (y)
The issue is I’m in the uk , the spring was 20 something dollars, the shipping to the uk was 69 dollars , the shims were 4 dollars or so , the shipping 25 dollars. Then when they hit the uk , Customs will not release them until I pay X amount import duty.
We are sadly very limited with regards the aftermarket accessories available compared to what you guys have access to.
Things like the above , my ehs tuner and coops sheave have cost me a hideous amount of money in postage and the import duty, you just have to swallow it and accept it , or do without and just wonder what you are missing out on.

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
For shims go to a good hardware store or fastener supply house. Ask for arbor shims. Less that a dollar each here.

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
Just found on their components page the spring forces

Spring forces

·
Registered
2019 700 SE Tac Black
51 Posts
I actually spent ages last night looking through many suppliers of shims , they all list a 20mm id option but none are larger than 28mm od,
Some offer a custom option but require you to buy a large number of the. , and the timeframe is not quick.
My impatience has cost me a fortune over the years.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Aaahhh into the UK, that does make a big differance. I was thinking you were in Canada when you mentioned customs charges. We get raped that way to usually ordering from the states.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am writing this to hopefully help someone down the road on mods to their grizzly.
I’m Speaking from first hand experience with my machine.

I have done the shim mod, all the way up to 1.8mm shim. Then I did the 4/450 weights and 4/700 weights. After that looking for more low end I had Coop45 machine a new sheave for me (mod#3) and went ahead and had him get me a secondary from eBay, he serviced it for me and installed a EPI gold spring, I went ahead and added a .5mm shim with his sheave and a new OEM belt while I had it tore down again.

Ok had this thing apart several times, put back together several times and everything was put back together by specs and TQ’ed to spec.

I am going to be brutally honest here, and I know every machine could potentially respond different (meaning some better than others), on my machine there was no night and day difference between all the mods, it did respond and runs good, but I am not getting easy wheelies like some people say on-here with 28’s again maybe their machine responded better than mine and yes I am jealous lol, but seriously I have put a good bit of time and money in machine seeking that one thing that would blow my mind, it didn’t happen with 28 Zillas on my machine.

When it was stock and had stock OEM tires she would pull the front up with ease in high and felt quicker, being honest here.

The big difference in my machine was the tires, 28’s take away a lot from my machine anyway, point pick your tires wisely first time around and if you go big be prepared for the loss, again maybe your machine will respond better hopefully it will.

I am going back to 26” tires soon
Hopefully that little bit helps someone and don’t spend the $$$ to chase that better power, my conclusion is the grizzly just don’t have the grunt let’s say like a brute force, canam twins and you will continue to chase something that’s not there, be happy with a super nice, reliable and very capable machine but not a powerhouse.
I have 1.5 mm shims purple spring with 18 stock weights on 27 zillas and I can not wheelie whats so ever in the snow. I haven’t had the 27s long enough to test on summer grounds. I can say that with these mods with stock wheels I would pull wheelies and throttle finger all over the place. These 27s took some power away even with mods, I can say my weights haven’t fell out because I’ve been testing mods and sheaves. I think Ive felt more power from the jbs with oem stock weights with slugs in wc 1.5 shims and purple spring

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tore apart machine, no weights flipped

everything was good

waiting on my weights and other parts to come in

1 - 20 of 63 Posts