Here is a helpful tip from EPI Performance
45638DF0-45AD-4654-9D3F-18B6FF831B68.jpeg

Reactions: wgc

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bringing this back alive lol

So I worked some OT and scraped together a little extra funding and ordered a set of zilla's in 26x9x12 and 26x11x12

Going to leave my clutching the same for now to see the effects

My clutch mods right now
Coop45 mod#3
4-450 weights
4-660 weights
EPI Gold secondary spring
.75 shim installed

I do have 17 gram OD weights I ordered from JBS but since ordering and receiving an email they received my order and taking money I have not heard anything or seen them in a week?

Dont know how she is going to respond, maybe better low end to mid, revy/ upshift? What do you all think?

Should be interesting I will report back once they arrive and are on the machine

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would ask for your money back from jbs for starters. Then go to your dealer and pick up a set of oem grizzly weights.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Must admit. I run oem 18 gram 660 weights in a little 550, with orange spring.

Your running four 660 and four 450 weights,

Witch averages same as my stock 550 weights (16 grams) and a STIFF gold spring.

Seems a tad excessive and unbalanced considering the intended application.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just went outside and pulled the cover off my 700 kodiak, ice finally melted enough I could get at the straps for the cover. Started right up..... Oh how I missed that sound. Lol
Naveed it down off lawn on to the driveway and went for a few rips around the building in hi..... Omg I forgot how torquey it is now with the machined sheave.... Oh why do I have to go to work tonight.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have a extra secondary with the stock spring, I had Coop45 get me a used secondary ( he serviced it) and put a gold spring in it when I bought my sheave from him

I can put the OEM secondary in that was on machine if the gold spring is to heavy? It is in excellent shape
Would it work better than gold spring?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Try it as is for a now, later on pop in the other secondary an see what works best for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well today I took the stock spring out of the secondary that was on bike, gonna order a purple spring for it since that is the general consensus that works the best or that would be closer to what I need

Man I am not trying to bash anybody but I have emailed, facebook message and called 3 times and cannot get a response from JBS for the stuff I ordered. Anyone else have this problem with them? I placed an order last month and it was lightening fast getting here, if they don’t have it in stock just let me know and refund my money

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Mite also consider putting your stock weights back in....

·
Registered
Grizzly 700 SE 2018
9 Posts
Well today I took the stock spring out of the secondary that was on bike, gonna order a purple spring for it since that is the general consensus that works the best or that would be closer to what I need

Man I am not trying to bash anybody but I have emailed, facebook message and called 3 times and cannot get a response from JBS for the stuff I ordered. Anyone else have this problem with them? I placed an order last month and it was lightening fast getting here, if they don’t have it in stock just let me know and refund my money
..same for me, i ordered and heard nothing for about 4 weeks and got no response on Emails. But finally he answered and my order arrived.

I also had the 17 gramm weights, but went back to 20 gramm. Fuel mileage was very bad compared to the Stock weights at least 20%. Also RPM was way to high while cruising, didnt sound healthy and was very annoying.

I have a 2018 with machined primary sheave, 1 mm shim and purple spring.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Here is a helpful tip from EPI Performance View attachment 97164
This information is not for the Yamaha setup. This is for a snowmobile type setup, where the clutch has a tapered bore with a tapered crankshaft to fit onto. Much like a tapered ball joint stud or tie rod end stud.

But it still a good idea to clean the shaft of any debris, especially the splines before installing the primary clutch.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
I also had the 17 gramm weights, but went back to 20 gramm. Fuel millage was very bad compared to the Stock weights at least 20%. Also RPM was way to high while cruising, didnt sound healthy and was very annoying.
:)
15% lighter weights with a 20% decrease m.p.g. That stands to reason and if you had been riding w.o.t. a lot the m.p.g. would have been worse.
The weights react to rotational force, so less weight in/of the weights requires more engine r.p.m.s for the weights to move and increase machine ground speed.
So when cruising the engine was running faster, more noise with nothing gained.

·
Registered
Grizzly 700 SE 2018
9 Posts
:)
15% lighter weights with a 20% decrease m.p.g. That stands to reason and if you had been riding w.o.t. a lot the m.p.g. would have been worse.
The weights react to rotational force, so less weight in/of the weights requires more engine r.p.m.s for the weights to move and increase machine ground speed.
So when cruising the engine was running faster, more noise with nothing gained.
Maybe depends on riding Style but for my type of riding, i experienced, a bit heavier weights than the stock 18 gramm fits better. Also due to the purple Spring the RPM are anyway higher by holding longer in lower gear. And m.p.g is almost back like stock now.
Befor installing them I never thought that a few gramm causes such a difference. I think too light weights are not the right choice for regular riding, maybe for big Tires and creeping thru deep Mudholes..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got the 26's mounted and put on machine today

They do look a lot smaller than the 28's but they look good

I haven't had a chance to ride yet

But I am going to try it with them with the clutch set up as is

If I dont like it I will throw the purple spring on the other secondary I have and change the weights in the primary to 18 grams

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ok tore everything down today and went ahead and just put purple spring in and 18gram weights

I haven’t got to ride it a bunch, but I like it.

The best way I can describe it to me, the machine feels sportier, faster all around just feels better

I am keeping this combo

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ok tore everything down today and went ahead and just put purple spring in and 18gram weights

I haven’t got to ride it a bunch, but I like it.

The best way I can describe it to me, the machine feels sportier, faster all around just feels better

I am keeping this combo
This is pretty much what I'm running, 26" tires, machined sheave, 18gm weights and purple spring. It's a very nice setup, lots of torque, yet great trail riding ability.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Just an update to anyone who is looking for a good combo

after doing a lot of experimenting with clutch set up and mods on machine this is what I finally feel is where my bike runs the best, actually runs like gangbusters lol

Coop45 #3 mod
1mm shim
18 gram weights (all 8)
EPI gold spring in secondary

I adjusted my EHS controller to the recommenced setting in the instructions from EHS
HMF swamp series slip on
K&N filter
EHS air lid
Dynatek ignition
26” zillas

she will rock n roll now, go over backwards in high with almost no body English, in low hold on snappy as hell

This combo flat out gets it

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am writing this to hopefully help someone down the road on mods to their grizzly.
I’m Speaking from first hand experience with my machine.

I have done the shim mod, all the way up to 1.8mm shim. Then I did the 4/450 weights and 4/700 weights. After that looking for more low end I had Coop45 machine a new sheave for me (mod#3) and went ahead and had him get me a secondary from eBay, he serviced it for me and installed a EPI gold spring, I went ahead and added a .5mm shim with his sheave and a new OEM belt while I had it tore down again.

Ok had this thing apart several times, put back together several times and everything was put back together by specs and TQ’ed to spec.

I am going to be brutally honest here, and I know every machine could potentially respond different (meaning some better than others), on my machine there was no night and day difference between all the mods, it did respond and runs good, but I am not getting easy wheelies like some people say on-here with 28’s again maybe their machine responded better than mine and yes I am jealous lol, but seriously I have put a good bit of time and money in machine seeking that one thing that would blow my mind, it didn’t happen with 28 Zillas on my machine.

When it was stock and had stock OEM tires she would pull the front up with ease in high and felt quicker, being honest here.

The big difference in my machine was the tires, 28’s take away a lot from my machine anyway, point pick your tires wisely first time around and if you go big be prepared for the loss, again maybe your machine will respond better hopefully it will.

I am going back to 26” tires soon
Hopefully that little bit helps someone and don’t spend the $$$ to chase that better power, my conclusion is the grizzly just don’t have the grunt let’s say like a brute force, canam twins and you will continue to chase something that’s not there, be happy with a super nice, reliable and very capable machine but not a powerhouse.

The tire size is what is killing you, it is hard to pull wheelies with that size of tires.
and if you have a winch on the front end...well that just adds to it. (Wheelie poppingmuch harder with the weight of the winch on the front end)
have fun!

Coop45

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just an update to anyone who is looking for a good combo

after doing a lot of experimenting with clutch set up and mods on machine this is what I finally feel is where my bike runs the best, actually runs like gangbusters lol

Coop45 #3 mod
1mm shim
18 gram weights (all 8)
EPI gold spring in secondary

I adjusted my EHS controller to the recommenced setting in the instructions from EHS
HMF swamp series slip on
K&N filter
EHS air lid
Dynatek ignition
26” zillas

she will rock n roll now, go over backwards in high with almost no body English, in low hold on snappy as hell

This combo flat out gets it
Glade your happy! Thanks for your info, it helps everyone here, everyone has a different riding performance they are looking for, and it sounds like you found your sweet sport!
thanks again

Coop45

41 - 60 of 63 Posts