Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 07 Grizzly in my creek which is shallow and not the first time I have done it. after about 200 yards it just died along with the dashboard. While sitting in the creek, I checked and the main fuse was blown. I pulled the spare and replaced it. Dash comes on and then it blows the spare fuse. I also seen it arc when I was trying to place the spare fuse in the main slot. I just want to bounce my ideas for solutions off someone but hoped that someone might be able to help me shortcut the find. I did buy a check audible short / open circuit finder.

Seems to me that something electrical got wet and should be waterproof and its not. With the main fuse blowing and not holding, how do I go about tracing the wires for the short? Start at the main? Start with the smaller fuses? I look forward to your thoughts.

Nate

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
In most cases of blowing main fuses, it's a chafe in the wiring harness causing a short to ground.
Now where this chafe can be is the million dollar question. The most usual suspect areas is near the lower part of the steering stem and near the exhaust pipe area by the cylinder head. Not guaranteed this is your issue, but is most common.

You also have a 2007 model. A failed/burnt/shorted stater is also very likely as the 2007/2008 models are known for this. By 2009 Yamaha had fixed it with an updated side cover to cool the stator. Well documented issue. Lots of information out there on it.

·
Premium Member
10,651 Posts
Use an ohm meter to know there is a wire chaffed/rubbed through to the frame.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I should take a step back from the stator issue I mentioned above. That is only true for the 2007/2007 Grizzly 700's.

You should mention exactly what model of Grizzly you have. In 2007, there was numerous different models of Grizzly. 400, 450, 660, 700.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
You can rig up a circuit breaker of the same amperage (just so you don't keep popping fuses while you're troubleshooting) and unplug components one at a time till you find which one don't blow the fuse. Hope you find it soon I hate electrical problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for all your help. You guys were totally on it! So I pulled the ATV back to the house with my dad's 400 big bear and started to look for a short. Thinking this was going to be a long process I started at the battery and fuse boxes with spraying some contact cleaner. Sprayed down everything in that compartment and then got lucky. Went to bend over set the contact cleaner down on the garage floor and seen that a bundle of wires looked pretty close to the muffler. Grab ahold and see that it has burnt through the rubber shielding and 5 wires (see pic). Good thing I have a pretty sound electrical background and could splice and reconnect these wires without issue. Bike started right up without any issues after the repair. I did notice that when I had it in park (choke was full on) the reverse light was blinking but I think there are already post that cover that maybe called the reverse limiter??? I see that some people modify it so it doesn't work or works differently but I'll read up on it. Long story short, thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Thanks again for all your help. You guys were totally on it! So I pulled the ATV back to the house with my dad's 400 big bear and started to look for a short. Thinking this was going to be a long process I started at the battery and fuse boxes with spraying some contact cleaner. Sprayed down everything in that compartment and then got lucky. Went to bend over set the contact cleaner down on the garage floor and seen that a bundle of wires looked pretty close to the muffler. Grab ahold and see that it has burnt through the rubber shielding and 5 wires (see pic). Good thing I have a pretty sound electrical background and could splice and reconnect these wires without issue. Bike started right up without any issues after the repair. I did notice that when I had it in park (choke was full on) the reverse light was blinking but I think there are already post that cover that maybe called the reverse limiter??? I see that some people modify it so it doesn't work or works differently but I'll read up on it. Long story short, thanks again.
Cool, it's nice when a problem can be solved quickly once in awhile!

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Always appreciate when people include the solution to the thread, pics make it even better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts