Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas my son 14 has a 2013 grizzly 350 with stock rims and tires. The quad is kinda unstable in turns tires are kind of mushy with the proper air in them. Any ideas on a way to make this thing more stabile with tires and rims or anything else for that matter. Taking him to Hatfield-McCoy in October and would like to make this thing better handling. Thanks in advanced.

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
Tighten the stock setting and try more air in the tires.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with wider offset.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool how much more air you think and I will look into spacers as well as tightening suspension.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
The stock tires will never stop rolling under on turns they are just to thin. The higher inflated tires will also bounce off every rock or stick cause a hard riding and twitchy steering.
As for the shocks full up in the rear and 1 notch from the highest is usually the best for experienced riders.
Offset wheels or spacers along with a good 6ply radial running 4.5-5 psi is the best answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you any idea on what would be the best tires to run . He’s 14 so you know how that goes kids always pushing it lol. Just want to make it more stable. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically what offset wheel should I go with and I heard big horn tires would help it be more stabile. I’m open to any suggestions just want what would be the most stable.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Big Horns is a good option as well as Bear Claw HTR's and many others. Spacers and new rims and tires helped my 700 a lot. I hated the tippy feeling when it was stock.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
1" billet aluminum spacers work excellent. I have them at all four corners now for many thousands of hard miles.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Ok jvictory so did you do offset rims and spacers? Or just spacers. Thanks for the help
I did rims and 1.5" spacers but I had to add fender flares after the spacers to help keep the mud spray off with the 27" tires.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with some of the above using a radial ATV tire. Made a huge difference On my old 450.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the stock Maxxis up to 7psi up front on my Kodiak 700 (same tires) just to keep them from rolling under on turns. I recently installed a set of Reptile Radials and its a world of difference, only running 5psi up front and are way more stable on turns and side hills. The ride it noticeably better too. Looked into Bighorns and Bearcalw HTR too, the Reptiles were in between those two in price and I ride a decent amount of mud.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I added 1 inch spacers and installed the k299 original bear claws on the stock rims on my wife’s 450 and she was very happy with the stability after that. The spacers and a more squared higher ply tire help a bunch for stability.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did 1" spacers up front, and 1.5" in the rear, and even with stock tires, that made a BIG difference in stability. Then I did 1" wider HTRs, and that helped a little more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies Fellas greatly appreciated. Gonna do spacers for now to get through this trip than put new tires and wheels on for next year. Is there a limit on how much air to put in those stock Maxxis tires so there not so mushy? I just don’t want to pay to mount tires twice if I bought new ones with stock rims. Anyone have any experience with the Kendall Bear claw Htr on stock rims?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks for all the replies Fellas greatly appreciated. Gonna do spacers for now to get through this trip than put new tires and wheels on for next year. Is there a limit on how much air to put in those stock Maxxis tires so there not so mushy? I just don’t want to pay to mount tires twice if I bought new ones with stock rims. Anyone have any experience with the Kendall Bear claw Htr on stock rims?
Why would change wheels if your installing spacers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it’s either spacers and original tires. Or buying a tire and wheel packages with 6 ply tires. I don’t want to put new tires on the stock rims. Than sooner or later buy rim. I just need to buy new tires and rims lol and add spacers if it’s this a little unstable
Thanks for all the help Fellas

·
Site Founder
4,958 Posts
Well it’s either spacers and original tires. Or buying a tire and wheel packages with 6 ply tires. I don’t want to put new tires on the stock rims. Than sooner or later buy rim. I just need to buy new tires and rims lol and add spacers if it’s this a little unstable
Thanks for all the help Fellas

Stock rims are light. You want that with a 350. You will notice a BIG difference in stability with some better tires with stiffer sidewalls and 1" spacers on just the rear. However, I wouldn't get too heavy of a tire or else you're bog that little 350 down a lot.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Stock rims are light. You want that with a 350. You will notice a BIG difference in stability with some better tires with stiffer sidewalls and 1" spacers on just the rear. However, I wouldn't get too heavy of a tire or else you're bog that little 350 down a lot.
X2

Absolutely no reason to replace the stock wheels if you install 1" spacers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts