Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just cut open another tire (maxis bighorn 27X12R12) . Tire shop just called to say the cut is too big and can't be fixed . Who can explain to me the difference between the Maxis Bighorn original , 2.0 or the 3.0 ??? is it just the sidewall thickness ??

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's not sidewalls at all, it's the tread size abc pattern.
The 2.0 is slightly smaller lugs than the original, resulting in a lighter tire.
3.0, have the smaller lug too, but also a completely different tread pattern for the front tire sizes.
I'm not a fan of the 3.0, strictly due to the 2 different patterns. With all my years in the tire industry, that has always been a hard no when installing on a 4x4. It's 4 the same, no other option. Imo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm not a fan of the 3.0, strictly due to the 2 different patterns. With all my years in the tire industry, that has always been a hard no when installing on a 4x4. It's 4 the same, no other option. Imo

Maybe it's time for the industry to change. Heck many have run different combinations on their atvs and SxS with excellent results.

Commun complaint with big horns original and 2.0 are the understeer push in corners.
Maxxis tried to address this with the better directional shevron design on the fronts

Owners have reported improved steering response with this new style

·
Registered
249 Posts
My problem with the BH 3.0 is that they are nowhere near 26" tall set at the recommended tire pressure for a Grizzly. I measured then at about 24 1/2" with the fronts set to 5.0 and the rears set to 4.5 as recommended. Just keep that in mind when looking at them. Disappointing for sure...

·
Grizzled
3,516 Posts
Can you elaborate on the specific reason behind that opinion? I have no reason to disagree with you, I'm genuinely curious to hear the reason why you or others would pass on different tread patterns front to rear. I'd also comment that off-roading, ATVs will typically travel faster, higher average speed, than large 4x4 vehicles on the same trail.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Maybe it's time for the industry to change. Heck many have run different combinations on their atvs and SxS with excellent results.

Commun complaint with big horns original and 2.0 are the understeer push in corners.
Maxxis tried to address this with the better directional shevron design on the fronts

Owners have reported improved steering response with this new style
Oh I'm not saying that it would steer better, that's a given, anyone with tire experience will tell you a rib, or a chevron patten will steer easier than a bar/paddle style tire. It's the traction difference when in 4x4 that's gonna be hard on your drivetrain over time. Mind you, the limited slip diff helps alot with this issue. It's bad enough that we already stress the drivetrain with uneven wear between front and rear tires due to lack of rotation. But I believe there is enough slop in the system to compensate for that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can you elaborate on the specific reason behind that opinion? I have no reason to disagree with you, I'm genuinely curious to hear the reason why you or others would pass on different tread patterns front to rear. I'd also comment that off-roading, ATVs will typically travel faster, higher average speed, than large 4x4 vehicles on the same trail.
See above

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
So i just cut open another tire (maxis bighorn 27X12R12) . Tire shop just called to say the cut is too big and can't be fixed . Who can explain to me the difference between the Maxis Bighorn original , 2.0 or the 3.0 ??? is it just the sidewall thickness ??
I use the O.G.s with great success and will have another set when needed. These are tougher than the 2.0's and I have ridden with others using the 2.0's and they seem to like them but there have been some days when only a 2.0 failed.
As for the steering, Grizzly's come with the tires toed out, I set my steering to zero toe and like this much better then.....
when hauling ass on a dirt road or trail just how am I to determine what causes my 660 to jump/dart/dive/duck back and forth every now and then? I can tell you after first installing these O.G.s, when running lower tire pressures like suggested on the fender, there was a lot of hopping back and forth. I raised the air pressure and it got better. Then I raised it some more and it settled down more.
I now run 11 p.s.i. with great pleasure, there is no law against violating the fender sticker as some seem to think, and there is only better ride without a reduction in pull or tire performance. Try it, you can always let air out, or change the toe back to stock.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The O.G.s are a tougher and heavier compound than the 2.0s and 3.0s. I have run the O.G.s now for 3 seasons with no complaints other than one: they do push in corners, especially in snow. I am happy overall with their handling, but they could be better. I already had my mind made up that my next set will be 3.0s for the sake of correcting the steering imperfection.

EDIT: I run 7 psi in mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The O.G. would be my next choice if my ITP Bajacross XD tires weren't available. They don't push through corners on a 2011 Grizz. Heavy but almost indestructible. High mileage too.
The later model Grizzs tend to push through corners "under steer" regardless . You can't go wrong with a good 6 or 8 ply radial.
It would help if everybody included a signature describing their rig.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the O.G.s with great success and will have another set when needed. These are tougher than the 2.0's and I have ridden with others using the 2.0's and they seem to like them but there have been some days when only a 2.0 failed.
As for the steering, Grizzly's come with the tires toed out, I set my steering to zero toe and like this much better then.....
when hauling ass on a dirt road or trail just how am I to determine what causes my 660 to jump/dart/dive/duck back and forth every now and then? I can tell you after first installing these O.G.s, when running lower tire pressures like suggested on the fender, there was a lot of hopping back and forth. I raised the air pressure and it got better. Then I raised it some more and it settled down more.
I now run 11 p.s.i. with great pleasure, there is no law against violating the fender sticker as some seem to think, and there is only better ride without a reduction in pull or tire performance. Try it, you can always let air out, or change the toe back to stock.
Interesting point about the air pressure. I just installed BH Originals on my 2020 Grizz and set the pressure to 7 psi. It rode pretty good but I may increase it a bit to see how it performs. How does the higher pressure hold up in rocky terrain?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That's interesting. I run 3.5 psi cause our trails are all eroted and rough as hell around here. Always bouncing of rocks for the first few miles of trails.
Imported Growlers can run very low pressures like champs

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
Interesting point about the air pressure. I just installed BH Originals on my 2020 Grizz and set the pressure to 7 psi. It rode pretty good but I may increase it a bit to see how it performs. How does the higher pressure hold up in rocky terrain?
These have 7000 miles on them with the high pressure, but remember I run the narrower stock wheels. the higher pressure is to stop the sidewall flex causing the bike to hunt back and forth.
Here is it in the rocks;

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's interesting. I run 3.5 psi cause our trails are all eroted and rough as hell around here. Always bouncing of rocks for the first few miles of trails.
Imported Growlers can run very low pressures like champs
I'm at 4.5/3.5psi front/rear with my Reptiles, and they handle/steer great, anything less and the front starts to wander/roll in the corners. Anything above 6psi and they get too stiff and ride quality suffers A LOT. I can't imagine needing 10psi+ to stiffen it up enough for good handling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm at 4.5/3.5psi front/rear with my Reptiles, and they handle/steer great, anything less and the front starts to wander/roll in the corners. Anything above 6psi and they get too stiff and ride quality suffers A LOT. I can't imagine needing 10psi+ to stiffen it up enough for good handling.
This is my experience also with the Pit Bull Growlers. Although I've never dropped my pressure below 4.5 PSI. 6 PSI is the highest I've gone otherwise it's too rough.

·
Premium Member
9,851 Posts
It happens with the O.G.'s and my stock wheels, a different set-up than yours, and this is because of the speeds I ride over the terrain I cover in my area. Other may not ride like I do, or have the same conditions as here so I don't tell anyone what to do, just suggest what works for me and link videos when I can.
This a small canyon near Kane's creek camp ground outside Moab;

I put a 12" wide tire on a 7.5" wide wheel and a 9" wide tire on a 5.5" wide wheel with 14"s of sidewall to flex and the extra air keeps the sidewall from flexing at high speed over big rocks. These are 6 ply tread with less sidewall ply. Under 11 p.s.i. my tires also roll and wonder on the wheel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts