Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just ordered a set of 26x9-12 and 26x11-12 Maxxis 3.0 tires for my 2017 Grizz. I've had great luck with other maxxis bighorn tires, but wanted to try something different this time. Weight wise they're supposed to be more in line with the 2.0 than the OG. Time will tell and I will post some pictures once I get them mounted.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your long term thoughts on them.

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
99 Posts
Haven't seen these. Looking for a new set of either 27x9-12's or 26x9-12's all the way around for the 98' Grizzly 600. Look forward to pics.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Someone has to do it!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I will be interested to see how they do.....I am going to replace my 2.0 before the Colorado trip in the fall and was planning on OG's as it seems that they are proven, long lasting and rather bullet proof.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Maxxis 3.0... You have my attention.

I will be interested to see how they do.....I am going to replace my 2.0 before the Colorado trip in the fall and was planning on OG's as it seems that they are proven, long lasting and rather bullet proof.
OG's are wear rated very well, but bullet proof is far from true. That is a fact with any tire. It seems (from my experience) that when you start getting western them, they require sidewall plugs. They are great tire, but hey this is another thread. Those 3.0's have had my eye for awhile out of curiosity... I was waiting for someone to try them, and I am interested to hear your opinion.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
OG's are wear rated very well, but bullet proof is far from true. That is a fact with any tire. It seems (from my experience) that when you start getting western them, they require sidewall plugs. They are great tire, but hey this is another thread. Those 3.0's have had my eye for awhile out of curiosity... I was waiting for someone to try them, and I am interested to hear your opinion.
With the right amount throttle, the right bone headed mistake and the right rock, anything is possible.

I consider this one my own fault. Steep grade + aggressive throttle + sharp rocks - 4 Wheel drive = cut Bighorn. I think this could have been avoided if I had been in 4x4. The rears wouldn’t have been spinning on sharp rocks that way.

And here’s another cut that just didn’t make it all the way through.

I’ll be purchasing a new tire before our next trip. So let this be a lesson to you all. GoFundMe is #okbear’sNewBighorn. lol. Oh, and carry lots of plugs!!!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
With the right amount throttle, the right bone headed mistake and the right rock, anything is possible.
Oh, and carry lots of plugs!!!
I carry lots of plugs and I use them also but really, boneheaded? Guess I qualify for that category also, ha.

Mr. Ransom, congrats on your new tires sir. You just keep us posted on what you think of 'em. Until then, I'll keep plugging away with Okbear until we wear our treads down.

I'll leave it at that, ha since I keep deleting inappropriate comments, much akin to things you can't unhear around a campfire, hahahahaha.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I carry lots of plugs and I use them also but really, boneheaded? Guess I qualify for that category also.
Haha. I only speak for myself. I heard the thing pop and as soon as I saw the cut I immediately knew how I screwed up.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Well I just ordered a set of 26x9-12 and 26x11-12 Maxxis 3.0 tires for my 2017 Grizz. I've had great luck with other maxxis bighorn tires, but wanted to try something different this time. Weight wise they're supposed to be more in line with the 2.0 than the OG. Time will tell and I will post some pictures once I get them mounted.
Looking forward to your review!

·
Premium Member
10,672 Posts
We'll have to learn a new tire track pattern for keeping up with Ransom. As least we'll know where he wasn't been.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
I carry lots of plugs and I use them also but really, boneheaded? Guess I qualify for that category also, ha.

Mr. Ransom, congrats on your new tires sir. You just keep us posted on what you think of 'em. Until then, I'll keep plugging away with Okbear until we wear our treads down.

I'll leave it at that, ha since I keep deleting inappropriate comments, much akin to things you can't unhear around a campfire, hahahahaha.
Like At HM ... didn't see feel or hear anything...then bam.. there it was the machete chicken cuts your BH. Same thing last spring in TN didn't see, feel or hear anything then bam.. a hole in the sidewall of my reptile. Got them Growler 8 ply now. So far they seem to be taking the pounding.

RansomP.. Chadwick his some tire busting terrain are those 3.0's 6 or 8 ply?

Reactions: RansomP and Vincent

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
RansomP.. Chadwick his some tire busting terrain are those 3.0's 6 or 8 ply?

Maxxis site says they are 6-ply, same as the OGs and I think 2.0s.

@RansomP were the 3.0s any cheaper than the OGs? I'm not currently shopping so haven't looked up pricing. Be interesting hearing your after ride comments.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RedRocket the 3.0's are a 6 ply radial tire. My understanding is they are basically the same weight as a 2.0. I've read several threads where guys love/hate the bighorn 2.0's, so I guess the jury is out for me. I'm not a real aggressive rider (unless I ride with you or Hammerhead! LOL!) and I haven't had any side wall or puncture issues with my bighorn OG's, so hopefully I have good luck with these too. The 3.0's intrigue me because the fronts are directional and the rears are not. One thing I've disliked about OG's in the past is when conditions are slick or on hard pack they seem to push in the turns. I was hoping the directional fronts might give them a little better handling in those conditions. The 3.0's have the same tread depth as the OG's and the rears are 11 wide(which I preferred over 12 inch rears with the OG's). I don't want to wide a tire on the farm, cow shit thrown on your arm or on the back of your neck sucks!

I really looked hard at Growlers, and I almost bought a set of 25 inch bg 2.5's. They seem like an awesome tire, but with all the high mountain riding I do I opted for a lighter tire that I may not have to do any CVT mods with.

The 3.0's were slightly cheaper in a 26.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
My understanding is they are basically the same weight as a 2.0.
Did you buy them mounted to wheels? If not, do you have a way to weigh them once received?

I wouldn't mind having an 11" tire width versus 12" on the rear too. Slightly cheaper is good, too bad they weren't even more cheaper

For the review, that is.
:grin2:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you buy them mounted to wheels? If not, do you have a way to weigh them once received?

I wouldn't mind having an 11" tire width versus 12" on the rear too. Slightly cheaper is good, too bad they weren't even more cheaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHeP9Sve48

For the review, that is.
:grin2:
I'm mounting them on my stock LE wheels. I'll weigh the tires when I get them. I bought the set 55 bucks cheaper than 26inch OG's same size.

Pure offroad lists BH 2.0 26x9-12 21.2 lbs, 26x11-12 25.7 lbs....So I'm hoping they're somewhere close to that.
Pure offroad lists BH OG 26x9-12 25.2 lbs, 26x12-12 29.9 lbs........25x8-12 23.6 lbs.....25x10-12 27.8 lbs

·
Registered
724 Posts
Maxxis says that the 2.0 are 6-ply.

If you wanted something really beefy, try:

Carnivore
8-ply-rated, light truck-inspired tire engineered to perform in extreme terrains.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts