Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts
I thought about this the other day. Need to get back in for my blood work. Thanks for the reminder, doc.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Got mine checked for the first time a couple of months ago because of this thread. Funny how you miss someone and consider them a friend when you've never met them....RIP AB

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts
I had my second physical and labs done since Scott's first post in this thread. PSA's are fine (thank God), however I found out that my testosterone levels are low. That can cause a whole range of issues to include weight gain, fatigue, man boobs and so on. It just goes to show that an annual trip to the doc is a great idea not just for avoiding potentially life threatening health problems. But also for quality of life issues.

Oh, and just kidding about the man boobs.

Scott- I hope you're having a blast up there with the Big Man!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gosh do not know where to start, as a firefighter and medic I have certainly seen my share of bad things happening to good people. But, lets heed AB's message to his brothers. I know a little bit about it and while a private person, I have faced with this same thing about 4 years ago. Cancer of the prostate and the possibility of spreading to the bones and other organs was an easy decision to address and I am no spring chicken either when discovered. Now In AB's humor, wish my physican had smaller hands at the time.

What I can offer in a PM for anyone who is struggling with this particular matter, you are never alone when bad things happen. Jeff

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts
Gosh do not know where to start, as a firefighter and medic I have certainly seen my share of bad things happening to good people. But, lets heed AB's message to his brothers. I know a little bit about it and while a private person, I have faced with this same thing about 4 years ago. Cancer of the prostate and the possibility of spreading to the bones and other organs was an easy decision to address and I am no spring chicken either when discovered. Now In AB's humor, wish my physican had smaller hands at the time.

What I can offer in a PM for anyone who is struggling with this particular matter, you are never alone when bad things happen. Jeff
This is a great thread to bring up from time to time. Props to Aussie for posting it!

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Hi there lads ,, to the old regulars on here you may of noticed I've been very quite on here well the heads up is I've got advanced prostate cancer I've had it for almost 12 mths now and in all honesty supprisd I'm still alive mine is terminal and can't be fixed as it spread to the bones , I've had two leg opps (IM nails ) just so I can keep walking and bladder surgery to boot I've tryed all the drugs chemo , radiation , hormone therapy the lot , so at the moment I'm doing another round of chemo and radiation to the spine and on pain killers ,,,, life gone from having your own business and being on top of the world life was great to this ,,,,
Now I'm not here to bang on about my but I want each and every one of you lot to do me a faver ,,,,
That is GO AND GET YOU PROSTRATE CHECKED !!!!! With the PSA test it's a simple blood test that can and will save you life if you get it early enough ,,, don't let the doctor say your too young you don't need it yet that's crap !!!! I'm 50 yr and won't see 51 due to not getting it cheeked and by the time I did its spread out from the prostrate and too late to control it
So if any thing good can come out of this mess will be to save at one of your lives as 1 in 4 WILL suffer from this !!!!! So don't put it of do it today !!!!!
Cheers AB

Heard my old friends voice in my head this morning as I debated on whether to have the finger wave at my annual checkup today, got it done, only jumped a little, blood work to follow. I will drink a cold one in your honor today.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts
Heard my old friends voice in my head this morning as I debated on whether to have the finger wave at my annual checkup today, got it done, only jumped a little, blood work to follow. I will drink a cold one in your honor today.
Cheers, Doc. I’ll toast to that. I’ll be headed to the doc in October for
annual bloodwork.

AB is missed around here. But his words can always be found here. I love stumbling across a thread he posted in.

To any members who haven’t read this thread in its entirety- read it! May save your life or that of somebody you know.

·
Registered
705 Posts
x1,000,000,000

I recall a story my Doctor told me years and years ago. He had a patient who never had the exam completed on him. The first time it was done they found an enlarged prostrate which turned out to be cancer and he ended up not making it.

I know it sucks, but get it done if you are over 40.

·
Registered
194 Posts
First I heard of this, sad indeed. A distant family member was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer last October. He had just retired 7 months prior to finding out. Had a successful business, a cottage on a lake, great family and is such a fine person overall.
He had symptoms that he kept to himself. Now he is telling everyone to not do what he did and kept it quiet.
He is only 54 and has about 4 years or less. His chemo and such is working good, so hopefully he can get more time out of this.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Curious, what were his symptoms?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts
And fellas.... Most times the exam isn’t even the ole finger up the wazoo anymore. Mine is a simple blood test along with my other annual labs. The first year was a baseline. The following years are just looking for change. My doc (who is about my age) said some old school docs still insist on the “exam” but it’s no longer the standard for a routine exam. Even if you have an old school doc who insists on it... who cares? Go get it over with and don’t sweat it for another year.

·
Registered
194 Posts
From what I've heard from other family members was he was getting sick repeatedly and dropped 20 + lbs in short order. He is doing well on chemo right now, just had part of his colon removed a week ago. They also inserted a " hockey puck " /disk that will be there for life that I believe is for administering a drug treatment.
He is stage 4 and it got into his liver.

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Have you read all posts?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
I believe @biknboat was referring to his earlier post #90.
Thanks, I missed that post...
When A.B. started this thread he wrote to us of the seriousness of early diagnosis and treatment if needed, and not to let embarrassment stop us from examinations.
Thinking back on past threads here on G.C., I remember more posts warning of wearing a helmet for safety than taking the time for a 10 second stance before a doctor.
A.B. started this to help his friends get our priorities in line.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes I believe em/barr/ass/ment ( pun intended lol ) is probably the no. 1 reason men don't go for checkups.
I personally believe that processed meats and meat grilled to being burnt and charred is partial cause for this ailment.
I stopped eating all processed meat 12 years ago, and rarely ever grill red meat anymore, though it tastes so good.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts