Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well came over from a hybrid ATV used a Arctic Cat H2 with a Kawasaki Prairie 650 Twin it had a 6.3 gallon tank and goes about 110 miles on a tank.

This new 700 Grizzly is getting about 65 miles on a tank and then is done. Currently carrying a 1.5 gallon can with me. This seems marginal.

What are your ATV's getting mileage wise? What do you use for extra fuel carrying?

I like the Rotopax but hear the customer service side of that company is lousy.

P.S. Seems like my ATV is idling really high? Anyway to lower it seems the fuel injection is all computer controlled.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
The fuel milage will go up with the more miles you put on it. my last ride I got 24 miles to the gallon. easy ride very little 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I posted this after owning my 16 for a month . Every ride I do is pretty much 75 miles minimum and I never carry fuel no need to at all . Its all on how one drives but the grizzly is good on fuel .

First off gas mileage will vary so much that my numbers are kind of meaningless but here’s a few numbers from my ride today . I filled my bear at home she was topped right up . At 38 miles my 4th bar checked out I was down to 3 . At 55 miles my 3rd bar checked out I was down to 2 I was watching closely . I then stopped and filled my bear up at the gas station it took 6.307 liters ( I’m in Canada ) . Looking at my manual my grizzly holds 18 liters . Doing the math quickly I should be able to do about 150 miles on a tank as roughly 6 liters = 55 miles so 18 liters should get me to 150 . 6 X 3 = 18 .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I think once the engine loosens up a bit the mileage should go up.

I am running 26 inch Bighorns and I can assure you that no way am I going to get 100 miles on one tank of gas.

As for my driving style it is slow and always in 4 wheel drive. Our terrain is sand and hard rock and you need it constantly. I cannot recall a day under 50 miles in a ride. The max of 65 miles requires me to carry extra fuel.

Note: I have run out of fuel before and it is no fun at night. I have a hunting partner with a 660 Grizzly and he carries a 4 gallon Kolpin pack. When riding with me on my old ATV... he could not make 80 miles let alone 100 miles on his best day of riding. Last ride we went into no mans land and ended up 122 miles total for the day. Throw in riding in the hills and rocks and that mileage will certainly be reduced.

I think I am going to order a Rotopax 2 gallon deal and bolt it to the front rack. When I run out of fuel in the main tank fill it up and head back in the most direct route.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've usually ride the farm or short trail areas where we are constantly going back to the trailers so I can just fill up often. BUT, on a couple of longer rides I have tried to keep track of mileage just so I know.
My Grizzly seems to get around 15 mpg back road riding. 75 miles would be pushing it. Not sure I would ever try a trip over 50 miles without a source of gas.
Grizzly gets about 10-11 mpg when river/sand riding.
Snow!? I'm lucky to get 8 mpg. But that's almost full time 4 wheel drive and lots of throttle! Actually I'm heavy on the gas at most times.

Note: Tires are 26"s tall and I run a 10" wide on front and 12" wide on rear. Stock tires I'm sure would do better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put a Rotopax 4-gal fuel and a pair of 2-gal water on the front rack. the extra fuel is great, but the added weight is EXTREMELY noticeable. was very happy when it was time to refuel and get the weight off the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ramaas:

That is a lot of weight up in front.

I only carry what I need namely fuel. A two gallon Rotopax should weigh about 15-20lbs with the mount.

The front rack on the Grizzly is tiny and looks very light.

Side note: Installed the Moose front bumper and it is already trashed by the rocks the lower arms hang way to low and get bashed up pretty good.

Thanks for the commentary. Finished up my gun rack and it came out awesome.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When my buddy and I trail ride we both get the same mileage, he has an 08 700 with 26" buzzsaws and my 07 700 has 25" bighorns. Our fuel guage will start flashing around the 90 mile mark and it hits walk at 110 miles. I carry a 4 gal rotopax mounted to the rear rack and he has a 1.5 gal can. It usually only takes another gallon to get back to the truck but I carry a little extra in case somebody on the trail may need it.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I've had a Rotopax 3gal. fuel cell for 6yrs and love it , never needed customer support it's an excellent product. I get around 75 miles per tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When my buddy and I trail ride we both get the same mileage, he has an 08 700 with 26" buzzsaws and my 07 700 has 25" bighorns. Our fuel guage will start flashing around the 90 mile mark and it hits walk at 110 miles. I carry a 4 gal rotopax mounted to the rear rack and he has a 1.5 gal can. It usually only takes another gallon to get back to the truck but I carry a little extra in case somebody on the trail may need it.
To state that your Grizzly somehow gets 110 miles is completely misleading. Unless your trail riding is on flat downhill with minimal 4wd drive mode. I'm new to this forum but have been using ATV's of all types since their inception very few ATV's of the utility type get over 100 miles to a tank with varied riding conditions.

The Rotopax fuel container seems to be the ticket.

I've had a Rotopax 3gal. fuel cell for 6yrs and love it , never needed customer support it's an excellent product. I get around 75 miles per tank.
That seems to be the norm after a good break in period. I will order the 3 gallon Rotopax. The 2 gallon one is nice but if I'm going to bolt one on might as well carry some extra.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I always carry extra fuel. My 2011 700 doesn't get great mileage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My last long ride was 80 miles. I had 2 1.5 gl can on the back. I found some el-cheapos at the discount box store that fit between the bars on the rear rack. I needed one can to complete the loop, and my BIL's bone stock got better mileage than I did. We were int eh hills of E. KY (Black Mountain / Harlan Co) so we had a lot of hills to climb, but also several down-hills, of course with the engine braking you dang near have to give it gas going down hill.

Wish there was a "clutch" to some how allow coasting when you want it, but htat's another thread ;)

dw

·
Premium Member
9,254 Posts
The stock grizzly drive combination sucks for mpg and best performance.
Taller tires, 26" true as far as I'm concerned, and some C.V.T. mods can have major benefits to the rid-ability of a grizzly.
The stock set-up is tame for inexperienced riders, and keeps the machine out of its optimum performance parameters for safety.
I played around with my set-up and found raising the pulley ratio freed up a lot of low-end get up and go.
Then I changed the reaction time of the up-shift which produced much improved mpg with increased ground speed.
I wasn't after the increased ground speed, but lower engine rpm's at cruising speed for extended fuel range per tank.
The 660 has about 4 gallons available before selecting the reserve portion on the tank. I routinely make 135 miles without switching to reserve. Plus I do this in a mountainous area.
Also, a stock grizz indicates speed 12% higher than true, so if you think you have gone 65 miles, that is off by 12% too.
My 660 stock did about 70 miles indicated on the 4 gallons on the top of the tank, but with mods. that was almost doubled and the distance traveled is now true distance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can go 100 miles and still have one bar showing on a regular basis. My machine is all stock though and a 14 model which gets better mileage than earlier years. My riding area is mostly fire roads at a fairly brisk pace. I am in 2wd most of the time as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To state that your Grizzly somehow gets 110 miles is completely misleading. Unless your trail riding is on flat downhill with minimal 4wd drive mode. I'm new to this forum but have been using ATV's of all types since their inception very few ATV's of the utility type get over 100 miles to a tank with varied riding conditions.
I don't understand how you say this is misleading, I average around 100 miles per tank, equates to approximately 24.5 mpg. I don't use 4wd unless I have too and this was cruising around the trails in the Piute. If I was blasting down the fire roads at 30+ mph or full throttle from corner to corner then I probably wouldn't get that kind of mileage. My buddy and I also get around 35mpg on these same trails with his Raptor 700 and my KTM 525 quad.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Being new to this forum it isn't good to jump in and call someone's post out. There are many riders that get over 100 miles per tank. ( I could never) just because you couldn't doesn't mean someone else can't. Sure it's all based on riding conditions and style bit of someone fits right into that and gets great milage good on them

·
Premium Member
9,254 Posts
To clear up any misleading information, let me posts a few pictures and videos of rides I enjoyed through my area with other members that traveled to enjoy this area too.

Hammerhead came out from Virginia to haul ass for a week. We did 970 miles while he was here, rode elevations from 7000 ft. to 13,114 ft. and the 3rd day he was here the two of us did 455 miles in 18 hours of the one day.
To get ready for that day we had to run his 700 out of fuel to know the tank range of his machine. This was from the test day and not all of the terrain was easy. There was a mixture of road riding, creek riding and moderate to difficult trail riding and his did 106 miles before quitting.
30 seconds after this picture, his shirt pockets filled with water. L.O.L.

These are from the long day to document some of the distance covered was not on the road. Hammer and I can say ya, 300 miles of the day was on the road, but that still leaves 155 miles on the trail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6IcswbovmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0laEyA_A6Q

The rest of his trip out Hammer and I rode with two other members and did other long day ride around 100 miles. The other machines didn't get the range, but also didn't have C.V.T. mods.
This was from a day all 4 us did over 130 miles and mine did not need gas added.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z00RY0cncR4

Then a month later I enjoyed riding with another member, RansomP and his group. We did a bunch of this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAud17gYBgk

Then just a couple months ago DrMudd came out and we did it again and the last day here on his '15' 700 we did 100 miles and didn't need to add gas. His only has taller tires, no C.V.T. mods.

Misleading? Not in the least.
Conditions and mods are important, that's why pictures and videos are good and a signature lets others see the mods to member machines.
Plus its fun posting pictures in conditions that others can experience for them self when they get here.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I agree Ridgeway not misleading , every ride I do is like 75 to 100 miles I never carry gas . I think 150 miles under certain conditions is possible as my numbers in this tread suggest . It's all on how and where you drive I personally find my grizzly excellent on fuel .

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
X2 on what Ridgway said, I normally get from 95-110 on a tankful on my 700. My 660 goes from 110 to 125. However I'm not hard into the throttle and just use 4x4 when needed. I always carry gas and I use the roto-pax system on the front of my 700. If you use Roto-pax get the self venting spout because the carb one (Eco Spout)that comes with it just plain sucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Being new to this forum it isn't good to jump in and call someone's post out. There are many riders that get over 100 miles per tank. ( I could never) just because you couldn't doesn't mean someone else can't. Sure it's all based on riding conditions and style bit of someone fits right into that and gets great milage good on them
NOTE:
Being new to a forum does not mean I cannot question a statement. I have experience in forums and have encountered a lot of boastful claims and grandiose claims which amounts to misleading information.

On my fourth ride with the new Grizzly and claims of 100 miles to a tankful in my riding conditions is highly unlikely. Also have my hunting partner with a 660 Grizzly for two seasons and he has yet to achieve this lofty goal. He always refuels at the 60-65 mile mark.

However, in all fairness to the posters if you ride in 2wd it might be a normal occurrence. The majority of our riding is 95% 4Hi mode.

I would love to get 100 miles on a tank but have yet to see any evidence this is going to happen. Much like the diesel forums wherein claims of 25 MPG. When I have never seen better than 14MPG on my truck for over 200K miles. Yeah maybe someone get's that mileage when the planets align but not my experience.

Interesting when you question someone on a fact all of a sudden the replies come out faster than politicians at a fundraiser.

The prior statement stands. I highly doubt you could take my Grizzly and run it in 4hi following me around and get 100 miles. You will be walking this much I am confident of and now with four trips out... it is pretty much a certainty.

I have a stock 2014 Grizzly with 26 2.0 Bighorns which are lighter than the regular Bighorns. See photos. No fuel with 62.9 miles. Lastly, I hunt in areas alone on occassion and need to be mindful of mileage.

Glad you mentioned the spout issue on the Rotopax. I had my suspicions that the Eco Carb one was worthless. I hate those eco spouts never work and spill a ton of gas.

I have the rotopax on the Christmas list with the water spout.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts