Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a rear view mirror installed on their 700?

I'm going through the process of making my Grizzly 700 street legal (WA State permits ATVs on 35mph or lower roads with proper equipment and registration) and I need to get a handlebar mounted rear view mirror. The regulations specifically say handlebar mounted unfortunately, so rack mounted mirrors are out.

I just spent half the day wiring it for turn signals and a horn, but the mirror I got at the local dealer sucks. I can't see anything behind me and I'm not sure it'll pass inspection. It's just a cheapy universal plastic mirror. With so much stuff on the bars it seems difficult to attach a clamp-on mirror in a usable location.

I've seen a few hand guards with mirrors in them, but some seem like they'd be awful floppy and unstable.

If you've got mirrors installed on your Grizzly I'd love to see pics and/or info about what mirrors you used.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
If it were me, I’d install a bar-end mirror mount like this...

Just google that, this one was on eBay. Others have mentioned that the ends are welded closed, so you’ll likely have to ream/punch the ends.

Cheers,

-Opie

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
A nice handle-bar mount mirror is the Moose Anti-Vibration Mirror for ATV's. Made of glass, large enough to see behind you CLEARLY. I'd recommend removing the anti-vibration portion since it seems to be "weak" point in the design. It's a solid design, durable, and easy to clean. I run one on my front rack and it works really well and it can also be mounted to the bars.
I also have the PowerMadd Handguards with the mirrors and don't have much good to say about the mirrors. They mount sturdy and are durable, however the visibility is about a 12-pack out back, you'll catch a blur of something and maybe an approaching led light. Then again, when riding at the speed of light, it's a 360 degree blur, maybe I should slow down, ha.

Reactions: Logan80

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It’s the only pic I have of it right now, but I have the cheap version of the mirror @OpDawg posted. It looks cool but it does not adjust well. Maybe the good one above would work much better. Plus the bar ends on most Grizzly’s are plugged with steel you’ll have to drill out. Both my 2009 and now my 2016 were steel plugged. The plug was at least 3” deep as well. I drilled the whole way to install the acerbis guards I have. I Jerry rigged my mirror to the hand guard support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
104 Posts
For the same reason I have a mirror as well but according to the law I only need one. I don't know if it is an original Yamaha or an aftermarket item.
Never use it though because I'm not a historian so what's behind me is in the past and I never look back .. ........ :wink2::wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just mounted a Devilmotor 3inch round on front rack that is foldable to tuck out of the way if you don't have space on the bars. it was on Amazon for under $13 literally mounted it today and was impressed how solid it appears to be- it is meant for the handlebars but easy to take apart for where I needed it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just mounted a Devilmotor 3inch round on front rack that is foldable to tuck out of the way if you don't have space on the bars. it was on Amazon for under $13 literally mounted it today and was impressed how solid it appears to be- it is meant for the handlebars but easy to take apart for where I needed it.
I looked for that manufacturer on Amazon and couldn't find it. However, I can't mount my mirror on the rack and pass inspection unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Some people don't like windshields but this is what I have. If you absolutely have to have it handlebar mounted, I guess this wouldn't be an option.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
While it's cool that you can actually make them street legal there, I wish we could here, it seems to me that some bureaucrat moron did the wording that specified handlebar mount for the mirror. What could possibly be wrong with " a rear view mirror mounted in such a way to afford the operator of the atv a clear view behind the atv while operating on a public way"? I suppose that would allow the general public to use their brains, good heavens, we can't have that!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's definitely nice that we can do this. It's mostly for forest roads and such really. Technically if you come out of a designated ORV trail onto a road of any sort and don't have a license then you can be ticketed. It's crappy but now at least there is a work around for those of us that like to go wheeling on trails. I remember back when I had my samurai I'd see "trail cops" going after dirt bikers, quad riders, and guys with extreme 4x4 vehicles that weren't street legal.

The rules I have to follow to get the on-road tab on my license are here: RCW 46.09.457: Equipment and declaration requirements for wheeled all-terrain vehicles?Exception.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
It's definitely nice that we can do this. It's mostly for forest roads and such really. Technically if you come out of a designated ORV trail onto a road of any sort and don't have a license then you can be ticketed. It's crappy but now at least there is a work around for those of us that like to go wheeling on trails. I remember back when I had my samurai I'd see "trail cops" going after dirt bikers, quad riders, and guys with extreme 4x4 vehicles that weren't street legal.

The rules I have to follow to get the on-road tab on my license are here: RCW 46.09.457: Equipment and declaration requirements for wheeled all-terrain vehicles?Exception.
@Logan80, yeah that's pretty cool, and reading through the link it's mostly pretty sensible. The "handlebar Mounted" just needs to be deleted. Not that there is anything wrong with handle bar mounted mirrors except they can be a real pain to mount, as you are finding out. I had a nice set on my Grizz, but all I could see was my shoulder no matter what I did. These were NOT the handlebar end mount, so I could not get them outboard far enough. I adapted one to my front rack, works like a champ.

·
Premium Member
10,662 Posts
Not to high-jack the thread, but this post may help others with mirrors. We have no rules for mounting mirrors in Colorado as we can't legally run on paved roads.
I didn't want the additional width of bar mounted mirrors on tight trails in the trees, but I did want to see behind without turning around.
I used mirrors designed for bicycles that attach in the end of handle bars.
It turns out the inside diameter of bicycle bars is very close to the I.D of ridged copper tubing.
I cut a long piece which eventually got mounted to the front rack with stainless screws and nylon nuts. Once I drilled the holes I used a phillips screw driver to dimple the top side hole to recess the screw head.
On each end of this tube I sweated 45 degree joints. These joints then have shorter straight pieces sweated in, adding additional width to the set-up and the mirrors are installed in the ends of the tubing.
I wanted the mirrors to be wide enough when deployed, yet also narrow enough to be protected by the rack when folded in, and that is the reason for the 45 degree joints. The length of these short pieces gets the mirrors in the right place so I can see past my hands. If you just use a longer straight piece all the way across, the mirrors end up behind the grips when riding.
When you sweat the ends on, make sure to use a flat surface to get all three pieces in alignment. (in the same plane)
I had to dry fit the pieces a few times for the proper length for proper width and placement, and my 660 is different than the 700's, so take a little time to get yours just right.
I got the ends just outside the rack so the mirrors rotate without binding on the rack.
Here are some pictures from day rides showing the mirrors standing up and folded down.
I did this set-up to save rack space, but still get a solid mounting point out of the way. There is some vibration at different engine r.p.m.'s but these single lung machines just do that.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157643354500614

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157640330374705

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157638422946515

1 - 14 of 14 Posts