Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I'm not ready yet for a full on exhaust and tuner, so I've been looking at the 2r racing tip I believe it's called. I've read that some people are saying it's making their bikes run too lean, and backfire etc. For $30 if I don't like the results I will just scrap it, I just don't want to cause engine damage. Can I get some keyboard expert advice? :devil:

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
I had a 2r knock-off tip as the used Grizzly I bought had the spark arrestor removed so I needed to do something. Hence it was cheaper to buy the "2r" tip with a spark arrestor screen as this tip was basically the same thing as 2r. At least I was legal.

Rode it that way for about 1000 miles but I do have a FI Controller but only made very minor adjustments to it and really don't believe I needed it but keep in mind, most of my riding is at altitude, air is thinner anyway. The 2r style tip does sound a lot meaner than the OEM tip.

A month ago I bought and installed the OEM spark arrestor and tip as the 2r style tip was just too loud for my preference. Multiple days of all day riding was enough to be done with that tip and go to something more reasonably quiet. I am happy now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks. I'm going to try it. For $39 I get a key chain bottle opener and the tip. If the opener works long enough to get the beer down and tip on then hey we're in business. My biggest concern was engine damage without a controller, if I don't like the sound then no biggie. I've wasted way more than $40 on stupider.... No proud, but who can't say that...

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Yup, I ditched my 2R too. Too loud and a lot of backfiring on my 700. Looks pretty nice though! I thought of sawing off the stock tip and leaving the guts in then putting the 2R back on just for the looks. :rofl:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So both of y'all are running stock mufflers? I didn't want an aftermarket muffler because their all so loud. I had a HMF utility on my brute force and it almost hurt. Now I'm older, and trail ride more. Plus I do hunt, so I can't be scaring big game three counties over! Haha. Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
So both of y'all are running stock mufflers? I didn't want an aftermarket muffler because their all so loud. I had a HMF utility on my brute force and it almost hurt. Now I'm older, and trail ride more. Plus I do hunt, so I can't be scaring big game three counties over! Haha. Thanks for the advise.
The 2R is loud and I had to constantly turn off my machine when pulling up to talk with another rider so I could hear them. I sure wouldn't want one on my Grizzly for hunting. Just me. Honestly, it doesn't add any horsepower, just noise and looks.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I took off mine and put barkers on, lol.
If your curious about it being too loud, pull out the stock tip and ride around for a bit. If you do like it you can switch back and forth easily for hunting and trails

Reactions: LostTexan83

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after watching the old YouTube I see what you mean Whisky Mike. I didn't know that's all that tip was doing... I'm an electrician for a living. I can help y'all with wires haha. I will pull my core out in the morning and test ride before I order one. So if someone wanted an exhaust with a mild tone, with a performance gain where it looks?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The tip alone won't do a whole lot I don't think. You can make a tip too if your handy. Let me know if you want to.

The only one I know of that's gives a performance gain worth spending the money on is barkers, which you definitely need a programmer for. If you do Ehs big 3 with the Airbox lid, tuner, and barkers duals it's expensive and loud, but gives you some gain.

For quiet exhaust there is the hmf swamp series (not the xl) is barely louder than stock. I don't think it gives much gain though.

As for performance on your bike, a machined primary is the best bang for buck, especially with the 27" mudzillas since they are heavy. Going from 1.5mm to 3mm is night and day, and you already have the purple spring

·
Premium Member
10,152 Posts
Here's my thinking;
Max out the C.V.T. ratio for the big bang in performance increase, then the little stuff like the exhaust can be felt. Adding a couple pounds of torque through a stock C.V.T. is not as noticeable as multiplying what torque you already have, then adding to that.
As for the tip, on my 660 the larger exhaust opening combined with the opened air box lid added crispness to the throttle, and more sound which is far behind.
This thing gets there so fast the deer are caught flat footed and still chewing grass while I take their picture.

And the elk don't seem to mind either,

or the turkeys,

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
There was a recent conversation where I was surprised to learn that a fuel controller on a Grizz with the single exhaust header makes a noticeable difference with a stock pipe. Unfortunately this is not an option for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks. Maybe I'll save the $40 for beer and fuel for now and do some more research. Thanks all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts