Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if they think it would be a bad idea to mount a winch to the rack? main reason is because i will only be using the winch for plowing snow, and i want to be able to easily remove the winch for just riding. I dont want the extra weight of the winch while trail riding. This is for my 16 grizzly.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
This has to be the most odd ball thinking. The winch weight is what 25lbs? why not just keep it on all the time in the proper location attached to the frame? if something were to ever happen you would have a winch... not only for yourself but you could help someone else one day. Mounting it to your rack probably isn't the best as the rack will most likely bend if you ever raise the blade while into the snow.

Edit: most people find the added weight of the winch nice up front as it helps weigh the front of the machine down on hills

·
Registered
857 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I have seen a winch mounted on a hitch type receiver in the front. Member grizzrider08 might have had that. But, I'm not sue it would be in the right position to lift a plow....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was also thinking of mounting it right to the plow itself. I use an old toro lawn tractor plow. so its pretty rugged channeled steel.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I made this quick setup this summer, had the winch and plow but didn't have the winch permanently mounted yet but wanted to back drag to level some gopher mounds. Just hooks on the front rack with some sturdy garage hooks from Home Depot. It worked perfectly. And a straight pull on the cable with no bends.

Just wanted to show you since it's exactly what you are trying to do it sounds like. However I am advocating to NOT do this like TRev says, and permanently mount the winch. I went for years thinking I had no uses for a winch. Boy was I wrong. Mount it like intended and you won't regret it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Please do not mount the winch to the rack. Every setup I have seen like that has been bent. And this includes older ATV's, which had much thicker and stronger racks than the new machines today.

Listen to the advice given above and mount it in the proper location. You will be much happier with it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a pulley on my rack but remember it only places half of the pull on the rack and none of the weight of the winch. The pulley also slow the rise and fall by half reducing the chance of overstessing the rack. I agree with those saying to mount in the normal location.

The first plow I had a small winch mounted on the blade but it was a small plow. Good luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and ordered the mount. After installing the plow mount and plow today i realized how heavy that plow really is. no need to twist my rack all up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts