Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a ride this past Saturday on my 2019 Kodiak 700. It rained most of the day and the trails were very sloppy. It

It rained most of the day. Lots of puddles up to 10" deep. We rode about 70 miles. I made an effort to avoid going through the puddles too fast but the rad was about 80 -90% lugged with mud by the time we finished. The temps later in the ride were not at overheat but getting close.

It looks like most of the slop came through the front grill.

I'm looking to avoid this kind of plug up as much as possible in the future.

Has anyone tried made up a bracket with a finer screen to put in front of the grill?

I figure that might at least slow the mud down and would be a lot easier to clean out if required.

Anyone tried anything that helped?

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
I remember this coming up years ago, most that ride heavy mud relocate the radiator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember this coming up years ago, most that ride heavy mud relocate the radiator.
That's kind of a last resort for me as the front rack is then gone as far as space goes. I generally carry a chainsaw up there and need the space.

Most of the guys I ride with ride big Can Am's. Just abut all of them have a rad relocate as they over heat pretty quickly with any crud at all in the rad.

There were 28 ATV's with one overheat (Polaris), a Grizzly with a ripped off oil cooler line and a Can Am with a badly bent tie rod. The Can Am guys tell me they are very soft rods.

·
Premium Member
9,001 Posts
I remember others trying fine mess screen and didn't like it much, but don't remember why.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Can Am with a badly bent tie rod. The Can Am guys tell me they are very soft rods.

So you're sayin' Can Am guys have soft rods?

:grin2:

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,150 Posts
I've thought about making a "Outerwear" cover for the grille. However there is plenty of mud and silt that comes in on the back of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Mud blocked my radiator, the engine overheated, and the water pump seal failed.

Like you, I did not want to relocate the radiator. I bought a 12volt water pump that plugs into my lighter, that is designed to wash boats with. It requires a water source like a pond, stream, or lake.

Similar to this:
https://www.banggood.com/12V-65W-High-Pressure-Marine-Deck-Car-Washer-Wash-Water-Pump-Cleaner-Sprayer-Kit-p-1125649.html?cur_warehouse=CN
I also have this:
To be honest, neither is a great solution, but they do work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've thought about making a "Outerwear" cover for the grille. However there is plenty of mud and silt that comes in on the back of the radiator.
I sure agree with that but keeping a little more out might help.

The ride I was on was very muddy and it took me more than an hour to get most of it out. Next nice day I'm going to pull the wheels to get the rest out. Lots of fallen leaves blocking all the drain holes as well. The guards at the CV boots were packed hard with wet mud right up the the boots. I had to dig that out with my hands.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I like the use of my front rack also. I found that the best way I can keep my radiator clean is not to ride too close to the guy in front of me and ease into the mud holes as easy as possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went to metal supermarket in mississauga and bought some perforated aluminium....mostly to prevent sticks from putting holes in the rad..it works well on the lower part of the front bumper...not sure about mud but it blocks debris.... be sure to keep the rad clean at all times...the PO of my machine allowed the rad to get about 80% plugged with mud and cooked the rings.it had to be removed during the repair and flushed a gazillion times not including the stick that punctured the center of the rad.😥 when the rad was plugged I never got a hot light on the dash BUT running an already lean engine with restricted air flow is going to cost u down the road

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was sitting by a creek one day, and a guy comes to the creek with a pretty nice WATER GUN. and sits there and just sprays his rad off about 10 times, then leaves. probably an easy thing to do if you have the room for it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was sitting by a creek one day, and a guy comes to the creek with a pretty nice WATER GUN. and sits there and just sprays his rad off about 10 times, then leaves. probably an easy thing to do if you have the room for it
I do have room. It might be good for slow riders as well. I'll put one in my cargo box. No shortage of water with a beaver pond every 500 yards.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's the problem with mud riding or riding in muddy conditions. Relocating the rad is the best option, but you will lose the front rack. Not to mention the battery lives under there... You can try going slow through mud as not to kick it up (not much fun in that). The bikes that I've had or those that ride with me we would always try to make it back to a wash station, yet one may not always be available to a lot of y'all. I always kept water or a gatorade bottle to pour on the rad. If all else fails you can always piss on it! Just remember it''ll smell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts