Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on these? I've always been a Bighorn guy. I just bought a used 2014 Grizzly with like new 27" XTRs on it. They are huge! I will be adding a shim if I keep them, but I may take them off for a smaller Bighorn.

How are these tires for trail riding and snow riding? Do they ride and wear like a Bighorn?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I had an older 26" set and liked them before upgrading to my Growlers. They wear like iron! Only complaint was they were terrible in snow.

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Last set I had also wobble bad on hard pack.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got 27" XTR and have 9,000 miles on them and expect to put on another 4-5k. We ride a lot of muddy logging trails they are great in the mud. Everywhere else a smaller lugged tire will ride smother.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Last set I had also wobble bad on hard pack.
X2 one of my fronts tires did have a wobble as well but it was only noticible driving on pavement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We only use the XTR on trail riding adventures. Primitive trails, rocks and gravel, mud, swamps roots and logs. You know the stuff we live for.

Never had anything else. So nothing to compare to.

No problems other than what other have mentioned above. Rough ride, etc. have close to 8K on a 700 and 550, both equipped the same.

550 was purchased 1st. & per recommendation we mounted 27x9r14 front, 27x11r14 on the rear. I felt that was too much for the 550. Consequently when we decided to add to the stable we elected to get a 700 and use the 27's on that and get 26's for the 550.

In lieu of shims and springs a motorhead buddy said its far cheaper and easier to just change the weights in the primary . So 4 weights for a 450 and 4 for a 700.

Kept the originals tires and wheels for winter and knocking about on and off road. The off road tends to be very well established trails suitable for a Subaru, etc.
We have found the stocks tires to be just fine for snow travel. Once the snow is deep enough one is going to bottom out and no amount of deep lug is going to matter. We even plow the 700ft dway and clear an acre of parking with a 550, Warn plow and stock tires. the bike only weights 700lbs. I don't think big lugs will help you push more weight. Chains and studs would help on ice, but we don't get much ice. Pretty much stays packed snow all winter till break up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Save your money and wear them out. They are a decent all around tire. A couple guys in my group have them. We ride trails, rocks, minimal mud, and jsnow from Erie PA to HMT.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Have them on the wife's bike. They have around 10,000km on them in 10 years and still have good lugs. Ride in forest, mud and rock with 0 problems

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I only have a few miles on these tires. I aired them down to 4 PSI vs 7 PSI that the previous owner had.

They don't have as good of side bite as my HTRs did. Forward traction is fine. They do ride pretty smooth. Anything above 30 MPH and the whole machine wobbles horribly.

We will see how they do plowing this winter, but right now I'm thinking I will buy new tires come spring time. The wobble annoys me. Perhaps they can be balanced by an auto shop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't loose your stock tires. you will find them to be superior to the mudlites on snow, etc.
Its the softer compound of the stocks that sticks to the snow better vs the deeper lug.
think hard sole Virbram mountaineer boots vs Xtra-tuffs on the wet hull of an aluminum skiff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts