Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum. I have an 05 660 Grizzly I bought about 5-6 years ago. Used it for plowing and yard work. 1-2 times a year I take it out riding. It's had it's fair share of issues recently and I really contemplated buying a new one and ditching this old girl.

However, the price of new is killing my soul a little. This thing is paid and owes me nothing so I think I'm going to fix her up better than new. Few questions for you all:

1) One of my biggest gripes is no power steering. I see there are $750 kits to make older 660s have power steering. Anyone have good / bad experience with adding power steering?

2) I did wheel bearings a year ago and now they are shot again. I was in a pickle and just bought what a local dealer had on the shelf. So who makes the best wheel bearings? Does Timken make a Grizzly wheel bearing?

3) I'm having major carb issues. As opposed to rebuilding my stock one I was thinking of just buying a new one. They are relatively cheap. Recommendations of brands? Anyone have a pre-jetted unit off the shelf? Or am I better off buying the $60 carb and a $50 FMF or dynojet jet kit?

4) there are so many online stores. What is a good place to get all the bearings, bushings and ball joints for this thing? I wanna do a complete suspension overhaul.

Really appreciate any help. Love my old Griz and I'm pretty excited to bring her back to life.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm relatively new to my 660 but here's what I can help with.

I got my factory parts from Partzilla. Definitely order everything at once their shipping is spendy.

The guy I bought mine from said he put an overbore kit on this one. Unfortunately, I don't know the size or make but it definitely takes my 325 pound backside up long 40 degree inclines quickly.

Hope this helps somewhat

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum. I have an 05 660 Grizzly I bought about 5-6 years ago. Used it for plowing and yard work. 1-2 times a year I take it out riding. It's had it's fair share of issues recently and I really contemplated buying a new one and ditching this old girl.

However, the price of new is killing my soul a little. This thing is paid and owes me nothing so I think I'm going to fix her up better than new. Few questions for you all:

1) One of my biggest gripes is no power steering. I see there are $750 kits to make older 660s have power steering. Anyone have good / bad experience with adding power steering?

2) I did wheel bearings a year ago and now they are shot again. I was in a pickle and just bought what a local dealer had on the shelf. So who makes the best wheel bearings? Does Timken make a Grizzly wheel bearing?

3) I'm having major carb issues. As opposed to rebuilding my stock one I was thinking of just buying a new one. They are relatively cheap. Recommendations of brands? Anyone have a pre-jetted unit off the shelf? Or am I better off buying the $60 carb and a $50 FMF or dynojet jet kit?

4) there are so many online stores. What is a good place to get all the bearings, bushings and ball joints for this thing? I wanna do a complete suspension overhaul.

Really appreciate any help. Love my old Griz and I'm pretty excited to bring her back to life.

Joe
Welcome to GC. Most of your answers can be found with a quick search and some reading. OEM is the way to go for wheel bearings. How long did your stock bearings last? If your part number is the same as late models, you can buy the Kawasaki Terex wheel bearing which is the exact same Koyo bearing for half the $$$. I can't think of any good reason to buy a whole new carb if yours isn't damaged and is rebuildable. Partshark is my go to source for parts but I have bought from many of them. Just shop and compare prices a little. Shipping can be a deal killer on one site and a deal maker on the next.

Reactions: Splashman

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Koyo is the factory wheel bearings, and are by far the best....but....DO NOT purchase the factory bearings through a Yamaha parts dealer. Purchase them through a Kawasaki dealer. The "front" wheel bearings of a Kawasaki Teryx (any year) are the same Koyo bearing, at half the cost.
You can also try purchasing the bearings through a bearing store. Koyo bearing part #: DAC3055W
Although I have not found them to be cheaper than a Kawasaki dealer.

Your best to rebuild your factory carb than purchase a Chinese ebay special. Just remove yours and clean it. Replace parts that are required. More than likely a good cleaning will fix it. I prefer to use a good dunking/soaking carb cleaner as they are much more effective.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I'm leary about rebuilding the factory carb. There is a lot of stuff that could be wrong with it and I'm not really sure what it is. I'm having sporadic fuel delivery issues. I'd really like to replace everything in the carb but haven't found any "Total" rebuilds. usually just jets and gaskets.

I'll look around though.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Thanks guys.

I'm leary about rebuilding the factory carb. There is a lot of stuff that could be wrong with it and I'm not really sure what it is. I'm having sporadic fuel delivery issues. I'd really like to replace everything in the carb but haven't found any "Total" rebuilds. usually just jets and gaskets.

I'll look around though.
Jets and gaskets is a rebuild kit. There is nothing else to replace except for the vacuum slide and it's guide. Both these should never require replacing. If they do, purchase them seperately.

Do some research about the Chinese ebay special carbs. It's seems they are a hit and miss whether they will work or not. I'd much rather have a good quality Mikuni or Keihen carb on my bike than those.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
I actually have a rebuild kit at my house. I may give her a shot.
Looks like most of your questions have been answered. I'll just add a little input:
1. I have done aftermarket EPS kits in UTV with rack and pinion steering, but not ATVs. What I can offer is that an aftermarket kit will not be "progressive" power steering, which means it will give just as much steering boost at 45 MPH as it does at 5 MPH, which can be dangerous. Takes some getting used to. You'll lose some tactile feedback from the trail. Young macho ducks hate that. Old dogs with sore elbows love it.

2. Buy from Rocky Mountain ATV if you want your parts fast. Buy from somewhere else if you want them cheaper and are willing to wait a couple weeks. I find that Ron Ayers Motorsports online store has good pricing, but takes a while for stuff to arrive.

3. Have you ever used carb cleaning dip before? Great stuff. Usually doesn't nail the goop in the smaller jets due to flow issues, but that's what the rebuild kit is for. When you disassemble your carb, screw the mixture screws all the way down, carefully noting how many turns. When done with the rebuild, reseat them and back them off the recorded number of turns, start there for tuning.
I suck at tuning carbs so I used to get them "close enough to start and run OK" and then I would take it to a bike shop where they have specialty tools for tuning. The Grizz being one cylinder makes it easier/cheaper.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On two different machines, I have purchased the $60 carbs off ebay and I'm glad I did. Perfect right out of the box. There exactly like the original.

In my opinion the Kawi wheel bearings are much better, but I still have to replace them too. Poor design.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
$60 seems like a small price to pay to try one out while the original is soaking in the dip.

Reactions: wheelsquad

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
In my opinion the Kawi wheel bearings are much better, but I still have to replace them too. Poor design.
That's the first I've heard someone say that koyo bearings are a poor design. Can you elaborate? In my time off roading, I've always considered wheel bearings to be a maintenance item. Anything that moves and contacts other metal ain't gonna last forever.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
That's the first I've heard someone say that koyo bearings are a poor design. Can you elaborate? In my time off roading, I've always considered wheel bearings to be a maintenance item. Anything that moves and contacts other metal ain't gonna last forever.
No kidding. I like to hear his explaination too.

How often is he changing them?
Is he using proper installation procedures? Is he using proper torques or a impact gun?
Is he a heavy mud rider?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
3. Have you ever used carb cleaning dip before? Great stuff. Usually doesn't nail the goop in the smaller jets due to flow issues, but that's what the rebuild kit is for. When you disassemble your carb, screw the mixture screws all the way down, carefully noting how many turns. When done with the rebuild, reseat them and back them off the recorded number of turns, start there for tuning.
I suck at tuning carbs so I used to get them "close enough to start and run OK" and then I would take it to a bike shop where they have specialty tools for tuning. The Grizz being one cylinder makes it easier/cheaper.
The carb dip is excellent stuff, and it's the only way I clean a carb anymore.

FYI Here, the carb dip I use is Solder Seal Gunk's "Hydro Seal II".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great info guys, really appreciate it.

Now I just need some time to tear into this thing. Poor Griz is still all muddy and running like crap from my trip last week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered a CDI box, bearings, jet kit and a new speed sensor today. This should solve the immediate problems. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the power steering yet.

I am also contemplating doing a wrap to freshen up the plastics. I was thinking flat black but might go with a matte silver or gunmetal grey. Anyone have good lunch doing vinyl wrap on their Griz?

Might powdercoat the factory wheels black too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rebuilt / Jetted the carb on Thursday, took her out all weekend. Runs awesome now! Definitely just needed a good cleaning / overhaul.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on this thing. All cleaned up, running awesome. Painted it all satin black, reupholstered the seat, wheel spacers out front to give it a little wider stance.

Still haven't gotten the Power Steering yet. That's the next step after plowing season is over.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts