Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 22 Se yesterday and thought I'd start a thread on the mods I plan on doing to turn it into a trail cruizing beast. This is my short list right now. taking it camping this weekend and will put some miles on it, sure the list grow form here. The ordering has already begun :) One question I do have through the plastic it looks like there may be a cat. converter in the pipe, if so does anyone know of a older stock pipe that it can be replaced with?

TIres, the zilla's are not for me.
Fuel programer
K&N fiter and prefilter
Billet power tip
Shock covers
Rack boxes

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
66 Posts
I picked up my 22 Se yesterday and thought I'd start a thread on the mods I plan on doing to turn it into a trail cruizing beast. This is my short list right now. taking it camping this weekend and will put some miles on it, sure the list grow form here. The ordering has already begun :) One question I do have through the plastic it looks like there may be a cat. converter in the pipe, if so does anyone know of a older stock pipe that it can be replaced with?

Fuel programer
K&N fiter and prefilter
Billet power tip
Shock covers
Rack boxes
I'd add fender flares for sure if you want a trail beast. I went with the direction 2 after trying both OEM Yamaha and them.

My guess is that there would be tuning needed if you change to a cat-less unless the cat really isn't restrictive at all. I've tried the whiskybent exhaust which removes some restriction from the stainless anti-spark mesh, and the bike did run fine. I'd be interested to know also, as for longevity reason, I'd prefer cat-less exhaust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run these on all 3 of my Raptors, you get the same benefits of a slip on for almost no cost. The factory spark arrestors are soooo restrictive.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
66 Posts
I run these on all 3 of my Raptors, you get the same benefits of a slip on for almost no cost. The factory spark arrestors are soooo restrictive.

Yep, I tried something similar, still have it, but the noise level is noticeably louder. The stock mesh/pipe baffling seems to be made to absorb the sound even more than sparks. I might try it back on for trail riding, might be less noticeable than on my relatively small plot of land.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,329 Posts
I am considering buying a new exhaust can, a 2013 part that precedes the changes made in the 2014 exhaust can. I will then ship it off to have it ceramic coated to reduce heat emitted from the metal and install it on my 2014. There is a thread on here, somewhere, where someone installed an exhaust can from 2013/12 (same part number) on a 14 or 15 Grizzly 700 and said it ran fine. I have been considering that for a long time, just haven't pulled the trigger yet... OK, OK, to be honest trying to avoid pissing off the wife by spending MORE money. I absolutely do have plans to do it but needs to be at the right time. ;) With my AFR meter, I can see if the ratios change and how.

I do have my AIS blocked off and do not intend to change that.

Since there is so much controversy about K&N air filters, you might consider just sticking with a quality oiled foam filter like UNI or others. Remember that OHV riding is frequently done in very high dust environments. It is your call, but do yourself a favor and on youtube, look up Project Farm and find his comparisons he did on car air filters. That guy does some amazing test videos and could absolutey qualify as someone who does very thourough tests using control methods. He is not just some fly-by-night guy saying he tested X object, meaning he used it and has an opinion. Project Farm does not fall under - used it, here is my opinion.

Reactions: Patroller

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like how quiet the stock setup is. I didn't even put my earplugs in when I rode it, but I'm looking for a little more performance.

I'm a K&N guy, have been running them for decades and never had a single problem, They work great for the conditions I ride in and will last the life of the quad. Was never a fan of foam filters, have seen too many that have fallen apart. But I appreciate the heads up, will take a look at his videos.

Sky Cloud Mountain Plant community Plant

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
I do like how quiet the stock setup is. I didn't even put my earplugs in when I rode it, but I'm looking for a little more performance.

I'm a K&N guy, have been running them for decades and never had a single problem, They work great for the conditions I ride in and will last the life of the quad. Was never a fan of foam filters, have seen too many that have fallen apart. But I appreciate the heads up, will take a look at his videos.

View attachment 102998
K&N filters have been proven in every industry to be more gimmick than actual benefit. They definitely do let more dirt past, and should be no part of any engine filtrating system. They do make a great reusable cabin filter. A foam filter will always be superior, and the only reason they fail is from user error when cleaning. You do not twist or wring out a foam filter only squeeze it. If a person can't clean a foam filter properly, I'll guarantee they aren't cleaning a k&n correctly.
As for these bikes having a catalytic converter. There is none in the system if you look at the parts diagrams there is no mention whatsoever of catalytic converter there is none in any other pipes nor the muffler, this is also confirmed with the fact that there are no O2 sensors on this bike for the computer to be monitoring the actual emissions. Even if there were a cat, it's a modern engine, and the catalytic converters used on modern engines are way higher flow than they were in the old days and do not require replacing or removing from the system which is why most current race engines that are emissions compliant actually have a catalytic converter still on them.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I'm seeing conflicting posts about whether there is a CAT or not. If they do must be like old school cat systems pre-OBD in late 1970s without use of 02 sensors.

A few statements posts there is one. Just looking for clarification.

EHSRacing made comment in this old post

"the ais will effect some of the decell popping because it acts like a exhaust leak basically bleeding a slight amount of fresh air on the back stroke which then ignites the unburnt gases once in awhile creating a back fire the effect is marginal on actual afr above idle it although does raise egt slightly which is its purpose with the cat to burn cleaner and pass emmisions or carbon std etc like the other post here said.'

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
It's not difficult to figure out that there is no catalytic converter on these exhausts. There is a simple muffler and a head pipe. Neither of which contains a catalytic converter, there's no catalyst material side either the head pipe or the muffler. A simple unbolt of the head pipe and the muffler and a 10-second visual inspection will confirm this.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I'll have to do visual inspection at some point but my emission sticker does show TWC (Three Way Catalyst)

•• A 3rd party Yamaha performance shop told me "
"22 is same as 19+ yes factory has a core in the front of the exhaust like a cat"

Motor vehicle Font Technology Plant Auto part

Also EPA document here shows on line 150 that for US Market 2022
TWC, single bed, open loop for
YFM70GPANS (GRIZZLY EPS), YFM70GPHNH (GRIZZLY EPS Hunting), YFM70GPSNS (GRIZZLY EPS SE), YFM70GPZNB (GRIZZLY EPS XT-R), YFM70KDANG (KODIAK 700), YFM70KDHNH (KODIAK 700 Hunting), YFM70KPANG (KODIAK 700 EPS), YFM70KPHNY (KODIAK 700 EPS Hunting), YFM70KPSNB (KODIAK 700 EPS SE)

NYMXX.686BFE

https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2022-02/off-road-mc-atv-utv-recveh-2006-present.xlsx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was hoping that bulge was just a heat shield, seems maybe it's not. Not surprised my Yxz came with one. Hopefully someone will pull theirs and let us all know for sure. Will see how much difference the filter/programmer/power tip make. That really wakes up the Raptor's so I'm hoping for the same on the Grizzly. That is the setup I'm running on 2 of my Raptors the third has a HMF slip on with filter/programmer and you can't tell the difference from the other 2.

Have the power tip and filter on it's way but have not ordered a programmer yet. Seems people like the EHS for the Grizzly so think I'll give them a call tomorrow. Haven't decided if I want to vent the airbox lid or just run without it. I run a prefilter so the lid is really just a restriction even when vented. I know on dyno runs on the Raptor just removing the lid is a 2-3 hp gain sure it would be close to the same for the Grizzly.

Tires, these I'm having a hard time on deciding. If it weren't for ridiculous amount of rocks the Zilla's throw I'd probably just run them. Put 163 miles on it this weekend and they really rode fine. Right now I'm leaning toward the Bighorns. Gonna go 26 inch for sure, want to get all the power I can and with me just riding gravel roads ground clearance doesn't matter. Still got a ways to go before I'll be ready to make that decision.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Fuel programer
K&N fiter and prefilter
Billet power tip
Shock covers
Rack boxes
I'm almost relieved you aren't going with mud tires. Mudzillas are only good for one thing... I'm not sure why there chosen for an all-around tire for a lot of people...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the tire decision was made much quicker than I planned. Was searching last night and found some 26x9R-14 Kenda Bounty Hunter K585 HT Radial tires for $200 for all 4 shipped to my door. Had the kind of tread pattern, hopefully non rock throwing, I was looking for and a hard lasting compound so figured for $200 I couldn't go wrong. Should be here Friday so hopefully can get them mounted for Saturday's ride.

Called EHS and ordered the controller this morning, hoping that, the tip and the filter all get here by the weekend. Would be sweet to have the new tires and tune all ready to go. Talked to them and they said the pipe has a converter in it. So we'll see how what I have ordered goes.

Ordered the factory front and rear plastic rack boxes. Lost the bag I had strapped to the rear rack this weekend and had to go back about 10 miles to find it so it made it easier to spend the cash. $400 bucks seems like a silly amount for a couple of boxes but they are factory and are made to fit the racks. They do come with cup holders, cant wait to try them out :)

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
I'm almost relieved you aren't going with mud tires. Mudzillas are only good for one thing... I'm not sure why there chosen for an all-around tire for a lot of people...
I don't think I know anyone that has ever chosen a mudzilla for an all-round trail tire. They are usually only chosen strictly for mud. Zillas on the other hand being a much shallower lug make an ok trail tire, hence the reason Yamaha put them on the grizzly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first mod has arrived and are installed! Just the shock covers but there is A LOT of silver on the quad and it needs to be broken up. I'm going red/silver. Really want to order this seat cover, it looks awesome, but is expensive and if customs checks it you never know how much it is actually going to cost. The stock seat burns my butt if I park it in the sun for more than a couple of minutes, these gripper seats are much better about not getting so hot.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think I know anyone that has ever chosen a mudzilla for an all-round trail tire. They are usually only chosen strictly for mud. Zillas on the other hand being a much shallower lug make an ok trail tire, hence the reason Yamaha put them on the grizzly.

Yeah you'll be surprised what you see at the popular trailheads around here and down in Appalachia... The zillas, in my opinion, are still too chunky-at least for me.

I had gbc dirt devils, kenda bear claw HTRs, etc.. and they all seems to be to chunky.

Depends on the riding location I guess...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well the tire decision was made much quicker than I planned. Was searching last night and found some 26x9R-14 Kenda Bounty Hunter K585 HT Radial tires for $200 for all 4 shipped to my door. Had the kind of tread pattern, hopefully non rock throwing, I was looking for and a hard lasting compound so figured for $200 I couldn't go wrong. Should be here Friday so hopefully can get them mounted for Saturday's ride.

Called EHS and ordered the controller this morning, hoping that, the tip and the filter all get here by the weekend. Would be sweet to have the new tires and tune all ready to go. Talked to them and they said the pipe has a converter in it. So we'll see how what I have ordered goes.

Ordered the factory front and rear plastic rack boxes. Lost the bag I had strapped to the rear rack this weekend and had to go back about 10 miles to find it so it made it easier to spend the cash. $400 bucks seems like a silly amount for a couple of boxes but they are factory and are made to fit the racks. They do come with cup holders, cant wait to try them out :)
Those tires should work well for all around. I know someone with similar ones on a foreman.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the Ehs programmer and Power Tip and installed them last night. Sounds just like my Raptors now. My other programmers all have a piggyback for the tps and the fuel injector. The Ehs only has a piggytail for the injector. Trying to figure out how the programmer can know when to add fuel at different throttle positions without a signal from the tps. Guess I will need to give them a call.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Gas Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm seeing conflicting posts about whether there is a CAT or not. If they do must be like old school cat systems pre-OBD in late 1970s without use of 02 sensors.

A few statements posts there is one. Just looking for clarification.

EHSRacing made comment in this old post

"the ais will effect some of the decell popping because it acts like a exhaust leak basically bleeding a slight amount of fresh air on the back stroke which then ignites the unburnt gases once in awhile creating a back fire the effect is marginal on actual afr above idle it although does raise egt slightly which is its purpose with the cat to burn cleaner and pass emmisions or carbon std etc like the other post here said.'
It's not difficult to figure out that there is no catalytic converter on these exhausts. There is a simple muffler and a head pipe. Neither of which contains a catalytic converter, there's no catalyst material side either the head pipe or the muffler. A simple unbolt of the head pipe and the muffler and a 10-second visual inspection will confirm this.

Believe my 18 kodiak had a cat on stock pipe.

My 18 Kodiak had a cat in the front portion of pipe. Here it is in heated state
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system

1 - 20 of 51 Posts