Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 700 Kodiak just got a new riding friend. My buddy from work has been riding an 08 450 Kodiak since it was new, but since I bought my 700 Kodiak, he's been talking of getting a bigger bike. I've been searching the online classifieds for him, and he's been thinking possibly going new but both are limited stock. Week the other night I stumbled on a Grizzly, 2017 with only 2000km. Priced pretty decent, and not too far away. Contacted the guy and had good chat. Told my buddy the next day (yesterday), and we went to look at it.
The guy said he has a little bit of problem starring it possible valve adjustment needed. But I've had zero issues every time I tried starting it. It idles revs and drives awesome. No smoke which is a good thing it's never had the top end rebuilt but showing no signs of needing it. All in all seemed like a really good deal so...

We brought her home!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
66 Posts
I quickly checked for someone, and valve lash adjustment for the subaru engines is shim under bucket if I remember well. Much bigger job (if adjustment is needed) than for the 686 engine. Not that bad but he should not think he'll be done in an easy 3 beers Tuesday evening.

My girlfriend is getting a kodiak 450 in the same yamaha blue this autumn, looks very nice. Can't wait to see it in real life! Looks real good on the grizzly.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I quickly checked for someone, and valve lash adjustment for the subaru engines is shim under bucket if I remember well. Much bigger job (if adjustment is needed) than for the 686 engine. Not that bad but he should not think he'll be done in an easy 3 beers Tuesday evening.

My girlfriend is getting a kodiak 450 in the same yamaha blue this autumn, looks very nice. Can't wait to see it in real life! Looks real good on the grizzly.
It's a 45 min job, including plastics removal & reinstall. Have a buddy that does small engine repairs as a side job in the evenings after work. He can do it even faster, he's a guru at this stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
I can tell right know it takes way more than 45minutes.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assure you, it doesn't. I have sit and watched him do these probably 20 times in his garage. Me it would take several hours, and would be unsure if I did it right. That's exactly why I go to a guy that can do this stuff in his sleep

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts
I'd like to see that video.
It takes more than ½ hour to remove and replace the plastic.
If you own a full set of shims might would speed up....some.

660's or older 700's take more than an hour. Only one cam that doesn't have to be removed. But had a fuel tank to pull out.

Reactions: diverscale

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to see that video.
It takes more than ½ hour to remove and replace the plastic.
If you own a full set of shims might would speed up....some.

660's or older 700's take more than an hour. Only one cam that doesn't have to be removed. But had a fuel tank to pull out.
Lol 1/2 hour for plastics? Are you doing it blindfolded? I can strip sides, hood, top storage compartment and surrounding plastic in just about 10 min myself, and I don't do this everyday. I just did it on Monday evening on my Kodiak to install my tuner and some heat shielding and wire routing.

As for shims, my buddy has a full selection as he work on all brands and sizes of bikes, sxs, mowers, etc.

You need to realize not everyone has the same skillsets. Some things come much easier to some than others. Exactly why I take stuff to this guy. He's known to be the best around. He's not cheap either, not easy to get in, fortunately he's a heavy equipment mechanic where I work so have become good friends and have a slight advantage thankfully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol 1/2 hour for plastics? Are you doing it blindfolded? I can strip sides, hood, top storage compartment and surrounding plastic in just about 10 min myself, and I don't do this everyday. I just did it on Monday evening on my Kodiak to install my tuner and some heat shielding and wire routing.

As for shims, my buddy has a full selection as he work on all brands and sizes of bikes, sxs, mowers, etc.

You need to realize not everyone has the same skillsets. Some things come much easier to some than others. Exactly why I take stuff to this guy. He's known to be the best around. He's not cheap either, not easy to get in, fortunately he's a heavy equipment mechanic where I work so have become good friends and have a slight advantage thankfully.

What tuner did you go with CK ? Have you had time to try it out and noticed any difference?

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What tuner did you go with CK ? Have you had time to try it out and noticed any difference?
I got an attitude tuner , it's still a dobec tuner base like ejk and EHS, but it's direct from the original creator Derek Fischer, one of the Fischer brothers that started all the EFI tuners.
I haven't tested it yet thanks to crap weather. But I will say right now. Stay away, go with EHS.
Attitude offers shite customer service. Offered free stuff with tuner but didn't have stock, then months later when they had stuck and I reminded them, they wouldn't send my free stuff because it cost too much to do to Canada. Yet they had no problem shipping the tuner and taking my money for that.

·
Premium Member
9,279 Posts

I never use lol but I really need to here LOL!...I wrote remove and replace not just remove in my post. To adjust the valves the left foot well must also be remove and replaced. Since you have never adjusted the valves on a 708 and I have I am in a much better position to relate the difficulty and time need to adjust the 708 valves.

I also don't give rats ass that you are a "MOD" on this forum and many forums. Don't be a FA-KING DICK.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never use lol but I really need to here LOL!...I wrote remove and replace not just remove in my post. To adjust the valves the left foot well must also be remove and replaced. Since you have never adjusted the valves on a 708 and I have I am in a much better position to relate the difficulty and time need to adjust the 708 valves.

I also don't give rats ass that you are a "MOD" on this forum and many forums. Don't be a FA-KING DICK.
I don't know what being a mod has to do with anything, but I will warn you to watch the language and the name calling. As a senior member, you should know better.

You can disagree all you want bud, I have the same 708, I know how fast I can remove and replace plastics, yes including foot wells when needed. I don't really care how well you think you know the 708 valve adjustment procedure, I only commented on my friend doing it, and he's done it hundreds of times, it's his business. I'm pretty sure since I've watched him do it numerous times, he's good and fast at it. I'm guessing, he's just a bit better at it than you due to experience. Not really sure why that got you all butthurt. He's a mechanic by trade, has worked on engines big and small for the last 50 years. With that kind of experience, ya tend to pick up the pace when doing things

·
Premium Member
12,737 Posts
I never use lol but I really need to here LOL!....
40 years ago I went to the National Finals Rodeo to watch the 10 best in the world compete, does that make me almost as good or almost as fast?
And one time I watched a cooking show, I can now boil water just like the expert.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
66 Posts
40 years ago I went to the National Finals Rodeo to watch the 10 best in the world compete, does that make me almost as good or almost as fast?
And one time I watched a cooking show, I can now boil water just like the expert.
Thing is, if he can do it in 45 minutes, which I don't believe is a proper way to work so fast, the other 99.99% will take much longer than that to do this job. That was just what I was stating, that if his friend that got the ATV wanted to do his valve lash adjustment himself, he should reserve more than a short tuesday evening to do it because we normal people will have to even order shims to finish the job, which lead to a 2 part job for us mortals. People reading should not think it will take them 45min and done.

I remember once I replaced 4 solenoids + filter/pickup in a transmission, I have a lift and a pretty much full equipped garage. Thing took me a few hours, like 4, kinda long and messy job. Then on a forum on the same vehicle, someone asks for help about this, has no lift and does it in his parking, and I see people telling him that's an 1 hour job and you have time to drink a beer even.... well that guy must have gotten a real big surprise.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thing is, if he can do it in 45 minutes, which I don't believe is a proper way to work so fast, the other 99.99% will take much longer than that to do this job. That was just what I was stating, that if his friend that got the ATV wanted to do his valve lash adjustment himself, he should reserve more than a short tuesday evening to do it because we normal people will have to even order shims to finish the job, which lead to a 2 part job for us mortals. People reading should not think it will take them 45min and done.

I remember once I replaced 4 solenoids + filter/pickup in a transmission, I have a lift and a pretty much full equipped garage. Thing took me a few hours, like 4, kinda long and messy job. Then on a forum on the same vehicle, someone asks for help about this, has no lift and does it in his parking, and I see people telling him that's an 1 hour job and you have time to drink a beer even.... well that guy must have gotten a real big surprise.
Yes exactly this. I'm not saying it's a 45 min job for everyone. Myself, or my buddy that bought the bike, we could both do it, but like you said, it's gonna be a full afternoon& evening. Plastics, I can strip down fast, but as soon as I am at the engine, I'm in turtle mode, watching every step, verify I'm doing it right. All so I know I can reassemble it correctly. On the other hand, my mechanic buddy, yes, I'll bet my Kodiak on it that he can do it in 45min. I'll comicly wager an hour with his eyes closed. Lol But yes he does this all the time, it's like second nature to him, and he has all the tools and parts and supplies ready and on hand. Myself, I would need shims, and even a set of feeler gauges as I don't have a set.
I'll gladly go spend a couple hours at his place drinking rum while he works on the bike. Especially considering at the end on the job, final cost is a bottle of crown royal and any parts that may be needed to do valves on a 708 and a 450 plus clean and tune the carb on the 450, while we set back and drink and watch him work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts