Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. i just thought I would post this as I am seeing lots of questions about clutch mods lately, including my own questions.

So i just finished doing my clutch mods. Very happy with the result after lots of research and time.

History of my experience.

Old Grizzly - 2009 Grizzly 700
- 1.5 mm shim
- 4 450 weights.
- 28" zillas
- $50 bucks

Mods, 1.5 mm shim and 4-450 weights every other weight.
Very snappy response. I was thrilled when I first did this. It worked great and cost only about $50 bucks. I did loose about 6 mph top end. I had 28" zillas and the grizzly was very responsive. In High I had all the power I wanted. Would recommend for those on a budget.

New Grizzly 2013 Grizzly 700.
- Coop Mod #3
- Purple spring.
- 18 g weights from 660
- 27 Mega Mahems (they came with atv so didnt get to chose my tires. I would go with Zilla's again in a heartbeat.)-
- $210 bucks

I sent my outer Shiev to COOp to get his Mod 3 done. When I got it back I was disappointed at first. I put a purple spring in and had just the coop mod. Turns out I put it together not quite right. More about that below.
When I got it in correctly had more low end power, but not enough to counter the tires. After adding the 18 g weights it was much better. Similar to the mods of my 09 grizzly but power is much more stable and shifting smoother. Will pick front end up. I could always use more power and snap, but it will do for now. I wish I could buy more different weights and play with it even more, but dont want to spend more at this point.
If you have larger tires, go with 18g weights, you will not regret it. It is still sluggish with just the Coop #3 mod.

I also have the same top end which is nice for the days when I trail ride. $$210 invested + time.

Grizzly clutch notes.
As many people pointed out, no Impact Guns. I used one to loosen and probably should not have.
DONOT USE a ratchet strap. Make a vice for the primary/secondary out of wood and threaded rod. Works much better.
USE A TORQUE WRENCH.
Watch videos on assembly and re-greasing.

forgot to add this before: VERY IMPORTANT When putting the primary back together, be sure to grease everything well. There are lots of vids about how to grease the weights and slides. When i assembled mine the first time, i think i had a weight move on me and get out of place. When I put the primary on I could see just the end of the splines. I didn't know it at the time, but I had something not right. After you grease the weights and put the cam plate back on and the cover, be sure to hold the cam plate in against the weights while putting the primary back on. If not you can have a weight get out of place. This happened to me. Didn't do any damage but Im sure it could have. You can shove rags between the cam plate and cover to help hold it tight as you put it on. Be sure you have splines showing when putting the primary back on!

how to torque the 22mm crank shaft nut CORRECTLY - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

Im sure I am forgetting something but hopefully it will help some people decide what to do.

Joe

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you put any shims in with the machined sheave? Playing with the shims combined with the machined sheave might give you a little bit more low end.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I did not put any Shims in.
I know I could add some to try it but don't want to get the belt closer to the case.
I'm pretty happy with my set up now that I put new Weights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very interesting!! Thanks for the write-up!

I'm currently replacing my one way bearing, i ordered a set of 8 660 weights and a 1mm shim to see how it feels. My 2009 700 Grizzly has stock tires, but i felt it lacked abit of low end for my taste.. We'll see!

Reactions: EZZ70

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
No doubt clutching is the best bang for your buck mod on these machines. My 2016 is much more fun now that it has a jbs sheave, purple spring, and 16g weights!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Clutching is def. the best way to go. A high flow air filter is the only other thing I would do again.

With stock Tires you will feel a difference. When I did my 1.5 mm shim and weights on the old one (2009 Grizzly) it was too much with the stock tires. When I added larger tires it was great.

BlackGrizz550 - How is it with the 16g weights vs the stock 20g? I thought about going down to a 16 g but thought it may be too much.

Joe

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Clutching is def. the best way to go. A high flow air filter is the only other thing I would do again.

With stock Tires you will feel a difference. When I did my 1.5 mm shim and weights on the old one (2009 Grizzly) it was too much with the stock tires. When I added larger tires it was great.

BlackGrizz550 - How is it with the 16g weights vs the stock 20g? I thought about going down to a 16 g but thought it may be too much.

Joe
Joe,

The 2016's come with 18g weights. So I would imagine the gains were similar to dropping 2 grams on a previous 700.

I came off a strong running Grizzly 550 that had a JBS sheave, 14g weights, and a purple spring. This 2016 revs slower than my 550, but it definitely has more power.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey everyone. i just thought I would post this as I am seeing lots of questions about clutch mods lately, including my own questions.

So i just finished doing my clutch mods. Very happy with the result after lots of research and time.

History of my experience.

Old Grizzly - 2009 Grizzly 700
- 1.5 mm shim
- 4 450 weights.
- 28" zillas
- $50 bucks

Mods, 1.5 mm shim and 4-450 weights every other weight.
Very snappy response. I was thrilled when I first did this. It worked great and cost only about $50 bucks. I did loose about 6 mph top end. I had 28" zillas and the grizzly was very responsive. In High I had all the power I wanted. Would recommend for those on a budget.

New Grizzly 2013 Grizzly 700.
- Coop Mod #3
- Purple spring.
- 18 g weights from 660
- 27 Mega Mahems (they came with atv so didnt get to chose my tires. I would go with Zilla's again in a heartbeat.)-
- $210 bucks

I sent my outer Shiev to COOp to get his Mod 3 done. When I got it back I was disappointed at first. I put a purple spring in and had just the coop mod. Turns out I put it together not quite right. More about that below.
When I got it in correctly had more low end power, but not enough to counter the tires. After adding the 18 g weights it was much better. Similar to the mods of my 09 grizzly but power is much more stable and shifting smoother. Will pick front end up. I could always use more power and snap, but it will do for now. I wish I could buy more different weights and play with it even more, but dont want to spend more at this point.
If you have larger tires, go with 18g weights, you will not regret it. It is still sluggish with just the Coop #3 mod.

I also have the same top end which is nice for the days when I trail ride. $$210 invested + time.

Grizzly clutch notes.
As many people pointed out, no Impact Guns. I used one to loosen and probably should not have.
DONOT USE a ratchet strap. Make a vice for the primary/secondary out of wood and threaded rod. Works much better.
USE A TORQUE WRENCH.
Watch videos on assembly and re-greasing.

forgot to add this before: VERY IMPORTANT When putting the primary back together, be sure to grease everything well. There are lots of vids about how to grease the weights and slides. When i assembled mine the first time, i think i had a weight move on me and get out of place. When I put the primary on I could see just the end of the splines. I didn't know it at the time, but I had something not right. After you grease the weights and put the cam plate back on and the cover, be sure to hold the cam plate in against the weights while putting the primary back on. If not you can have a weight get out of place. This happened to me. Didn't do any damage but Im sure it could have. You can shove rags between the cam plate and cover to help hold it tight as you put it on. Be sure you have splines showing when putting the primary back on!

how to torque the 22mm crank shaft nut CORRECTLY - Grizzly Riders - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

Im sure I am forgetting something but hopefully it will help some people decide what to do.

Joe
Glade you got it figured out.
Thanks
Coop45

·
Registered
1 Posts
No doubt clutching is the best bang for your buck mod on these machines. My 2016 is much more fun now that it has a jbs sheave, purple spring, and 16g weights!
Hello
With the clutch setup u have on the 16 can you power wheelie it ? It it stock tyres ?

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
Welcome from Color
Hello
With the clutch setup u have on the 16 can you power wheelie it ? It it stock tyres ?
Welcome from Colorado.
You may need to start a new thread for your question. BlackGrizz550 may not see you questions, and others might tell you about their bikes, mods and performance differences.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts