Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I been off the page for 4 or so years now I guess. Good to see it’s still up and i know I can get some good info on here if it’s anything like it used to be. Today I got a non running Grizz 700. The dude I got it from rigged up some crazy creative wiring and guess what it didn’t work. Got a killer deal on the bike though. At this point, just wondering if anybody has the time to take a few pics of the TB wiring and the wiring from the right side and the wiring over the battery off a stock bike. Like I said I haven’t had a 700 in 4-5 years so I don’t really remember what it’s supposed to look like but this guy has all kinds of cut wires and splices and weird stuff going on. Tearing it down the rest of the way tomorrow and hopefully I can figure it out. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Hey.. Nasty great to hear from you..it has been a longtime.
I don't have any pic's of the areas you need and my rigs are in storage or under snow.
Go to forum sponsor 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair at the bottom of the troubleshooting page you will find a service manual for the 700.

Also try typing this in Google search site grizzlycental throttlebody wiring

Good luck!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome back!

·
Premium Member
10,672 Posts
Welcome Back:)

I don't have the correct bike for pictures you need, but maybe the stock wire connections you have on your bike have enough left stock wire at the connector ends to see the stock color coding to know what needs connected/spliced to what.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after cleaning and looking over what the last guy did I found he has the fuel pump directly wired to the battery and then from that wire he has one going to the small plug on the TB and also one wire going to the big plug on back of the fuel tank. I put a new battery in it and it runs but sputters. The bike is stuck in 4wd. In the past I’ve seen that a dirty front diff plug leads to all kinds of problems but I cleaned and it’s still stuck in 4wd. I’m trying to figure out why he decided to redneck rig the fuel system. Also I’m not able to do anything on the pod except change between the time and the miles. My plan is to try to find a parts bike and steal some wiring as well as a few other things if I can find em. Open to any help! Electrical problems are the worst.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I believe your best bet would be to replace the entire wiring harness. It'll probably be the easiest and you'll know it will be right

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just read a thread on here recently about someone who had just replaced his complete wiring harness but it still didn't solve his problems. Maybe he could sell you his old one if it fits( don't remember if it was the same machine or not). Good luck with the gremlins.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Welcome back nasty and good luck resurrecting the abused Grizz. I hate electrical problems too

·
Registered
269 Posts
"Why he decided to redneck rig the fuel system" I've come across this type thing before & put it down to just another wonder of the animal world.
Back to your problem, I'd suggest getting a photocopy of the wiring diagram & enlarging it so it's easy to see(use magnifying glass) & to follow, strip as much of the quad as possible to make following wiring easier, arm yourself with a good multimeter with thin prongs, use the continuity scale, study the colour coding of the wires so your familiar with them(they then cease to be a mystery) for eg. your following a wire from the fuel pump, on the w/diagram you follow where it goes, locate that spot on quad so you now know where the fuel pump wire goes to, but it goes thru some sheathing & 2 wires come out same colour code & go into a plug, do a continuity test to get the right wire, mark it with masking tape, write "pump" on it & continue on following the pump wire, if you think about the wiring in small sections instead of "look at all that nightmare" you stand a good chance of remaining sane. :grin2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seen some wiring harness's on eBay while looking for stuff for my 2007 700 Grizzly. Not sure if those would work. Worth a look, I'd just replace it.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Good to see you back on here, living with another Grizz!

What have you been riding?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Good to see you back on here, living with another Grizz!

What have you been riding?
Guessing by what I see in the profile picture maybe he had a Canned Ham. Welcome back to GC.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been riding in boats airplanes and helicopters lol I sold my last bike before I left for the Air Force. I’m stationed at Little Rock ar. I’m at a point now where I can play around with a bike. I haven’t had much time with the bike but I returned it to stock wiring wise. Cleaned a lot of connections and found a couple *possibly* bad relays. I also checked the timing because the motor just sounds horrible turning over and it was off probably 2 teeth. I still am not able to get it to run. I need to get a multi meter but I haven’t gotten to it yet. The TB is not getting fuel. After turning on and off the key messing around, I have heard that buzz type noise after turning it off once. Also the front diff actuator will not do anything. I’m very curious if it’s an ECU issue or if it’s still wiring or what. I rode it the first day I got it and it sputtered after a little bit of throttle but ran smooth etc but the fuel system was hard wired to the battery. I think I have a combo of problems but before I get too carried away buying stuff, I need to get fuel moving. I’m half tempted to buy another 700 and test parts back and forth to narrow things down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts