Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need some help my old 2000 grizzly 600 was not starting and back firing out the carb. Seems Really hard to turn over starter is not liking it. I Cleaned the carb set the valves same issue, checked the timing marks and the two dots on the cam are offset (not level) one is up and the other lower than the top of the head. It looks a half a tooth out it has 10,000k 1500hr has anyone had this issue or can advise. The cam adjuster looks 1/2 to 3/4 out im thinking cam chain any help would be great

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Probably jumped timing. The cam timing marks should be level.
At that mileage, I'd definitely replace the timing chain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dezz,
Will try and move it one tooth today. I put new flywheel and Bendix in when I try and start it, sounds like the starter is missing now and again and freespins. Now it is letting out a whining (ceased) noise and not turning the motor. I did take the side cover off to check the new flywheel it seemed ok the Bendix looked like it had a bit of wear, and some small fillings in the case would this be normal. Pulls over ok, I'm thinking starter gear now.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Test your battery. On the 600, if you have a weak battery, the bendix will be slow to engage and you will hear the whining noise from the starter motor or relay.

Do not use the battery charger to tell battery condition. Just because a charger says its charged does not mean it's a good battery. That just means the battery will no longer take charge....it does not prove battery condition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grizzly 600

Ok thanks dezz,
I'll put a new one in, did seem to go flat pretty quick, the sound is like a squeal will soon see when I pull the starter out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grizzly 600 timing

Dezz,

You were right it was a full tooth out whether the person before me did it or it jumped I'm not sure. Always really hard to start. Becouse of this I think it has caused a lot of problems with over cranking it killing the Bendix, flywheel and now starter looks like. Thanks again Dezz, now we are looking at the starter whether its worth repairing or throwing it was full of brush dust and may have done the bearing.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Thanks for coming back and posting what you found, closing the thread properly. That's what makes a forum good. May help someone in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts