Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very unlikely it is valve seals unless you have other far more serious problems. Very likely 'they' were going to rip you off. Not likely you need to remove head, just cam and valve springs, but you must know what you are doing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ll share my story. I had the service bulletin performed on my 2016 this spring, and that didn’t solve the smoking problem. The dealer then found that the problem was the valve seals all along (the top of the valves were oily). Yamaha told my dealer that they would cover the parts but I had to pay for the labor, which would be about $700. I was opposed to this, and told my dealer that Yamaha should fix the smoking and I should not be on the hook for the repairs. He said he would get back in touch with Yamaha. This happened last week. I haven’t heard back yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I guess it’s called valves sems seals I just need to know if I need to do anything with time or valves adjustment after words

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess it’s called valves sems seals I just need to know if I need to do anything with time or valves adjustment after words
Why not just see if Yamaha will fix it at night cost to you? They may. The Yamaha rep my dealer talked to said that the service bulletin is poorly written and should have included the valve seals as something to look at, which is why I’m trying to get then to fix mine for free

·
Registered
51 Posts
I need to look up more about the engine but generally valve seals are easy to replace without taking engine apart. What sork was done to fix smoking recently? Rings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I need to look up more about the engine but generally valve seals are easy to replace without taking engine apart. What sork was done to fix smoking recently? Rings?
They covered the cost of a piston, rings, cylinder, and the labor required to do that under the service bulletin.

They also found that the connecting rod was seized to the bushing that’s in between it and the crankshaft and were surprised it ran as well as it did. Yamaha paid for a new bottom end parts but I had to cover the labor for that. Maybe they figured they already gave me enough for free and that’s why they want me to cover the labor for the new head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ll see what the service manager at the dealer hears back from Yamaha. If it is not satisfactory, then I’ll ask to speak with the rep at Yamaha. I remember him saying something about how I wasn’t the original owner, which is BS. They should stand behind their product (which was defective from the factory, btw) no matter who owns it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update: After the service manager got back in touch with Yamaha, they agreed to only cover 4 hours of labor, and I was on the hook for the other 2. The service manager really pushed them to cover all of it, but Yamaha wouldn’t play ball. I got the machine back yesterday and it still smokes a little but I think that’s because they put too much oil in it. It also has a noise from the top end I don’t recall hearing before. Sounds like lifters tapping or something. Video link; Kodiak top end noise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok one shop said they really don’t think it’s the valves sems seals cause they can take a lot
The problem is there was a bad lot of them that were oval so they didn’t seal real well. With my machine it was definitely the valve seals. The top of the I take valves had oil on them. Yamaha knows this is a problem, and that’s why they paid for parts and 4 hours of labor to replace the whole top end on my 5 year old machine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The problem is there was a bad lot of them that were oval so they didn’t seal real well. With my machine it was definitely the valve seals. The top of the I take valves had oil on them. Yamaha knows this is a problem, and that’s why they paid for parts and 4 hours of labor to replace the whole top end on my 5 year old machine.
So what do u think I should do

·
Registered
18 Posts
No sure it’s a 2017
Well you have 5 years from the date of purchase (whether you or someone else bought it) so id recommend doing your homework to see if you’re still in the window. It’ll save you thousands of dollars.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts