Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 timberwolf 250 2x4. New top end, new battery, fresh rebuilt carb, new starter, valves adjusted.
When I try to start it it drags and turns over very slowly. If I take the carb off and put my hand over the intake it turns over normal. i can get it started and it runs perfectly fine. It did this before the rebuild also. What am I missing here? Very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Low voltage or improper timing are my guesses.
How about a video?

·
Registered
8 Posts
normal cranking after you remove the carb and block the intake does not make sense, if I understood that correctly. leaving that aside I would: check battery voltage(should be 12.6 volts), remove starter(leave hooked up to the electric wires)press starter button to see if starter turns at normal speed and check voltage at the starter while pressing start button, reinstall starter and remove spark plug to see if engine cranks at normal speed, install spark plug, remove valve and cam covers crank engine and watch valves and timing mark to see if the valves are opening and closing properly and at the right time, spray fogging oil in the cylinder to see if this improves the cranking speed. If problem persists take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Low voltage would be constant whether carb on or off. Sounds like the timing is off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts