Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 Grizzly 660 doesn't seem to have any spark. Everything was working fine then I shorted my battery while charging it. I have replaced the battery. Now it won't fire up. Could something else got damaged when my battery fried? Everything else electronic seems to be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always do process or elimination. Electronics can always be traced. Start at your battery and trace all the way to your stator. The only thing that can't be tested is the cdi box. If it turns over your solenoid and starter are fine. Check your coil with resistance. If you haven't yet pull your plug and make sure you haven't flooded the chamber with gas. Put a rag over your plug hole and hit the start button for a second. Check your coil. If it checks out good check your stator. If that checks out good then it's probably your cdi. If the 06 has any fuses check them as well. Just make your way down the line. You'll find it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the plug out How do I check the coil for resistance. Do I need more than a multimeter and test light to do so. I did find 2 30 amp fuses and both were fine. Are there other fuses I need to look for

·
Registered
67 Posts
You would to verify with a service manual for your individual machine on the fuses. And if your multimeter has a ohms section on it you're good. Your manual should also tell you the specs on the ohm readings. I believe all are pretty close in readings and. Primary side on the ignition coil should measure 0.03-0.06 and the secondary should read 9k-16k I do believe.

Your pick up coil should read from 450-550 ohms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would to verify with a service manual for your individual machine on the fuses. And if your multimeter has a ohms section on it you're good. Your manual should also tell you the specs on the ohm readings. I believe all are pretty close in readings and. Primary side on the ignition coil should measure 0.03-0.06 and the secondary should read 9k-16k I do believe.

Your pick up coil should read from 450-550 ohms.

The coil residence on the primary side reads 0.06. The secondary side reads 17.9k I don't have a service manual is this out of spec. I have checked for power coming to the coil it seems that that seems ok.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
You need to get service manual. All information for testing is in that.
Manuals are available at tradebit.com for about $10.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm with dezz. It's always good to have a manual on hand for specs. On the resistance part, out of the range is usually not okay. Lower than the range is worse that higher I do believe. But your coil seems fine. Check all your grounds make sure none have rusted through or any non sense. Check any quick connect clips. Take them loose shot some compressed air or electrical cleaner in them and after they dry put them back together. Check for any frayed wires on the frame. Make sure you don't have wire grounding in self for no reason. Seems like you have a short somewhere. If you've done all this great. Keep moving. CDI check. There's no way to test them. So they only to do it is to take one off a running quad switch it with yours and see if it works. If you have a buddy that has the same grizz or close year model and size or hell there may be some numbers left on it and you can match it up to another quad you can check it. Then check resistance on your stator. But first thing if you haven't yet check through you harness where there's any jumpers, check for gray or any types or damage, cracks, or corrosion. If you find any damage, if severe cut it out and re-splice it, if not severe tape is up at least to protect it. I hope I'm helping and not just blabbing on lol. Let me know how it goes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the power wire to the coil it gets 18-19 volts while hitting the starter button. That same wire gets the same back at the cdi box. Does that seem correct? Does that tell me it's being powered correctly?

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Can't have more than 12 volts meter must be toast.

Check the ignition fuse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts