Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Your owners manual will tell you what is recommended... there are lots of oils that will "work"

·
Registered
136 Posts
Depends on the weather. If you live in Florida that will work but a thicker one would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used the Yamalube 0w30 semi in my 16 griz after the break in and found that my 708 would go down on oil all the time when temps were abit warmer, it did not seem to burn it where there was no sign of smoke on start up, the colder temps the 0w30 seemed all right and stayed up, so I switched to 10w40 and has not gone down on oil since, I use it all year round with no problems starting in the very cold days, I would recommend the 10w40 syn based on the experience I had, 0w30 semi would be all right if you lived in a very cold climate all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it gets pretty cold here on northern manitoba. Plus thinking of changing it again in the spring for something a little thicker.
But does it work for a wet clutch?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah it gets pretty cold here on northern manitoba. Plus thinking of changing it again in the spring for something a little thicker.
As far as I know yes, I had no problems with it, using 0w30 semi your Griz will turn over alot easier in the very cold, Yamalube also has 0w40 full syn which will work good also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes 0w30 or 0w40 would be really good for your location. Yamalube has a nice 0w40 snowmobile oil that will work just fine. I just did my first change with 5w40 Shell Rotella T6. Was going to use thier 0w40 but they dront list 0w40 as JASO MA approved, but the 5w40 was.... I'm in Northern Ontario, so like you, I wanted a good life winter weight oil.

Also just a heads up, you can still run the 0w30 or 0w40 year round, warm weather will not effect it. It's still a 30 or 40 weight oil it just flows like 0 weight in winter. Someone mentioned earlier about not running it in a place like Florida, that is a misconception, 0w40 and 10w40 could both be run in say Florida, it's still a 40 weight oil. The difference is in the cold.

Just whatever you choose, make sure it's JASO MA or MA2 approved so you keep your wet clutch happy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here in Ohio I've been using Yamalube 0-40 full Synthetic Ester based snowmobile oil year round since new, now going on 10,000+ miles with no issues at all including the wet clutch. I've also been running ITP Bajacross 8 ply radial tires the whole time (a heavy tire). Uses no oil, never had to adjust the valves, and the clutch is good (no slipping) even though it doesn't have the JASO MA specification. Ride in temperature range 17-96 Deg. Fahrenheit.

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
The wet clutch performance is not affected by the oil viscosity so ant oil flow rating is OK for the wet clutch.
The JASO MA rating denotes no friction modifiers added to the oil, so wet clutch safe. Friction modifiers can cause the wet clutch to slip is the reason this becomes a topic here.
I've used the rotella dino for years without a problem, and the Colorado division of wild life also runs this in all their machines.
I ride in the cold, around -20f is about the coldest, to near 100 in the Colorado and Utah desert with the same oil.
When its cold I give'er a short shot of starting fluid with the choke on and do not touch the throttle for a minute or so until a little hear builds up, then she is good to go the rest of the day if I don't let'er get cold on a long stop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m running 5w40 yamalube in winter and i’m also in Canada, Montreal location. Summer time i use 10w40 yamalube.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts