Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Alaska bush 200 miles from the nearest road connected to the outside world. I have a 1996 Big Bear 350 4wd. Engine starts without choke even when cold. Black smoke pours out the tailpipe and after about a mile the engine dies. I clean off the sooty plug and wait till engine cools and it starts. I have torn apart the carb cleaned all orfices, adjusted the float with no result. Then I replaced the carb completely. Still the same. I have adjusted the valves to specs. Still nothing. It ran a while longer, now the engine won't start at all. It is obviously not the carb. What else could it be? Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
What elevation are operating at?
Has it always done this since you owned it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in the Alaska bush 200 miles from the nearest road connected to the outside world. I have a 1996 Big Bear 350 4wd. Engine starts without choke even when cold. Black smoke pours out the tailpipe and after about a mile the engine dies. I clean off the sooty plug and wait till engine cools and it starts. I have torn apart the carb cleaned all orfices, adjusted the float with no result. Then I replaced the carb completely. Still the same. I have adjusted the valves to specs. Still nothing. It ran a while longer, now the engine won't start at all. It is obviously not the carb. What else could it be? Thanks for your help guys.
Might be running it too rich with the fuel air mixture. Black smoke is too much fuel and white is too much oxygen if i'm not wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It could have low compression I would do a compression test

1 - 5 of 5 Posts