Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, its been awhile, a few years to be more accurate... :(

Well thinking on a new 2021 that just came in at a dealership, these machines are few and far between with next years models being even more difficult to get, so THEY say.

Any how, any major concerns with the 2020 or 2021 that is note worthy or should I just try and find a tested and true 2014 or 2015 with low km's?

All input and thoughts appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2011 Grizzly 550, 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R
611 Posts
I have a 2011 Grizzly 550 and a 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R. The 2011 is a fairly better built machine. It seems to be tougher. Several cost cutting measures have been noticeable for me. Nothing major though. I still think you are better off getting a new machine. You NEVER know what a used one has been through. There is not enough benefits of a '14 or '15 to risk what somebody else has done to the machine for the past 6 years. I use the iron tough 550 for utility work, and the 700 for fun. They are both great machines.

I should also say that I test drove every model available in 2020, and the grizzly came out on top, by far. There are some with way more power, but they lacked things that I loved, like the grizzly's engine braking, which is by far the best in the industry. The grizzly also seemed more agile that everything else in it's class, and definitely more comfortable (the seat).

One thing that I'm not sure I like is the tire setup on my XT-R. They steering terrible in tight spaces. I haven't figured out yet if it the tire width (same as the back), or the Zilla treads. No big deal, I just have to back up a lot, because front tires just don't bite, when crawling around trees.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2011 Grizzly 550 and a 2020 Grizzly 700 XT-R. The 2011 is a fairly better built machine. It seems to be tougher. Several cost cutting measures have been noticeable for me. Nothing major though. I still think you are better off getting a new machine. You NEVER know what a used one has been through. There is not enough benefits of a '14 or '15 to risk what somebody else has done to the machine for the past 6 years. I use the iron tough 550 for utility work, and the 700 for fun. They are both great machines.

I should also say that I test drove every model available in 2020, and the grizzly came out on top, by far. There are some with way more power, but they lacked things that I loved, like the grizzly's engine braking, which is by far the best in the industry. The grizzly also seemed more agile that everything else in it's class, and definitely more comfortable (the seat).

One thing that I'm not sure I like is the tire setup on my XT-R. They steering terrible in tight spaces. I haven't figured out yet if it the tire width (same as the back), or the Zilla treads. No big deal, I just have to back up a lot, because front tires just don't bite, when crawling around trees.
Well thank you sir, which would you say has the best sofa cushion ride :) From what I remember my 2015 was pretty comfy but not sure on the new 2021 suspension... thank you

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well thank you sir, which would you say has the best sofa cushion ride :) From what I remember my 2015 was pretty comfy but not sure on the new 2021 suspension... thank you
There was a change one year that made the suspension less cushy, but I can't remember what year that was. Sorry. 2016 comes to mind, but I'm not sure. I do know I stand more often on the 2021 than the 2011, but some of that may be the tires are a lot stiffer. My dilemma is always, do I take the nice ride without the power steering, or a rough ride with the totally awesome power steering. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a change one year that made the suspension less cushy, but I can't remember what year that was. Sorry. 2016 comes to mind, but I'm not sure. I do know I stand more often on the 2021 than the 2011, but some of that may be the tires are a lot stiffer. My dilemma is always, do I take the nice ride without the power steering, or a rough ride with the totally awesome power steering. :)
I found a 2014 and a 2015 with less that 500km, both are in very good condition or the new 2021... hummm :) what to do?

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Take the '15'.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I found a 2014 and a 2015 with less that 500km, both are in very good condition or the new 2021... hummm :) what to do?
I hear ya. Depends on the cost, I guess.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 2015 is $10,000 cad, 476km, it’s the black on black SE or a green 2014 with 1023km for $8000.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new 2021 is blue 0km, $12,500 plus tax, pdi and freight…

·
Registered
611 Posts
The new 2021 is blue 0km, $12,500 plus tax, pdi and freight…
$2500 at least to me, is worth paying for a new one. I don't know after the tax, pdi, and freight. Whatever that turns out to be may bring it over the top, and make it better for the older ones. Man...Your dilemma is now in perspective. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

Exactly what cost cuttung measures do you see that you think makes the new ones weaker than the older bikes?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The 2015 is $10,000 cad, 476km, it’s the black on black SE or a green 2014 with 1023km for $8000.
I would take the 2015 over the 14 just for the color age the km. But i would try talking then down as they are asking pretty much what a 16 to 18 goes for with life km here in Canada. I've been pricing used ones all over ON, NB, & AB, for a coworker. Those provinces mainly because we can get our company float truck to back haul a bike for us.

As for the new one, personalky, i think the better ootion is grab a kodiak, age use the money saved to turn it into a grizzly killer. That's what i have done, with money to spare, age that extra went into offroad bumpers now

·
Registered
611 Posts
Exactly what cost cuttung measures do you see that you think makes the new ones weaker than the older bikes?
By weaker, I don't mean chassis, or the structural parts. Just various small things (nothing major) that I have broke within 200 miles of riding, that never broke on my 10 year old 550 with 3000 miles on it. Here are a few:
  • I am repeatedly losing hub covers, like 5 so far.
  • Ripped off three of the A-Arm skid plates on three different rides. The back side are just tabbed in, so they get ripped off when you back up in the brush. I replace them all with a ricochet kit.
  • I have found several body tabs broken. They now flop around and vibrate. Luckily I noticed them before I had it serviced, or I probably would have thought the service tech did it.
  • I heard rattling, under the seat, and found the airbox was never secured. It was just flopping around under there.
  • A brake caliper seized up, which is really odd because I rarely use the brakes, and never hit them hard. Yes, I'm a crawler, not a racer. The engine braking is all I really need.
I am really easy on my machines. I never abuse them. I've been stuck in the mud like 4 times in ten years, once recently.
P.S. I am in no way bitching about my Grizzly. A little frustrated, but still satisfied. I'm already saving for my next griz in 2030, if I'm still alive.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I would take the 2015 over the 14 just for the color age the km. But i would try talking then down as they are asking pretty much what a 16 to 18 goes for with life km here in Canada. I've been pricing used ones all over ON, NB, & AB, for a coworker. Those provinces mainly because we can get our company float truck to back haul a bike for us.

As for the new one, personalky, i think the better ootion is grab a kodiak, age use the money saved to turn it into a grizzly killer. That's what i have done, with money to spare, age that extra went into offroad bumpers now

Seems like a 14 for 8k$ with 1k kms would be my direction.

I agree the 15 is basically at the same price as the newer models.

This grizzly killer statment has come up a few times and i must say, it intregues me.

I d love to see this grizzly killing kodiak in action in person. Maybe we could meet up next summer for a rip ?

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This grizzly killer statment has come up a few times and i must say, it intregues me.

I d love to see this grizzly killing kodiak in action in person. Maybe we could meet up next summer for a rip ?
We should, it's not that far of a trip.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Hey man, I hear ya, I have a decked out 2012 Green Kodiak 450 IS/EPS with 277km on it, its my hunting buddy :) I am looking for something a bit bigger to passenger my wife... I pwersonally find the 2012 suspension quite stiff even on the lowest/softest setting compared to, from what I remember of the Griz.

·
Registered
2021 grizzly 700 eps
13 Posts
My 2021 eps has been in the shop for 4 weeks now. Only drove it for 3 weeks. The cooling fan fell apart. I took it back and told them it damaged the rad too. Of course they waited til the fan came in before confirming the rad was damaged as well. Which I already told them was the case as I used a scope camera to inspect the rad. So the dealer tells me it's gonna be another 3 weeks til the rad comes in cuz its back ordered. Dealerships don't seem to care what their customers say. My 21 had alot of nuts and bolts that were loose as well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2021 eps has been in the shop for 4 weeks now. Only drove it for 3 weeks. The cooling fan fell apart. I took it back and told them it damaged the rad too. Of course they waited til the fan came in before confirming the rad was damaged as well. Which I already told them was the case as I used a scope camera to inspect the rad. So the dealer tells me it's gonna be another 3 weeks til the rad comes in cuz its back ordered. Dealerships don't seem to care what their customers say. My 21 had alot of nuts and bolts that were loose as well.
O wow, really sucky. I guess the absence of quality control during COVID is a real thing...! Thank you for sharing, hope you get'er all back together soon and not waiting a millennium for the parts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have noticed since 2012 to present the Grizzly's are been plagued with numerous issues. Leaking shocks, faulty 4 wheel drive switches, bad decompression springs, starters, seats detaching getting lost while trailering, improper air filter fitment, oil burning engines to name just a few. The 2011 model year they had worked out all the previous bugs "cooked stators, bad roll over valves, boiling gas, EPS vent" for that generation of Grizzly's which were made in Japan prior to 2012.
After 2011 they are all made in the U.S.A. and the quality and engineering went down hill. Hate to say but made in Japan seams to be superior to most other countries of manufacture. My 2011 Grizzly has been excellent with 10,000 plus miles doing standard maintenance and normal wear and tear items. If I knew what the future was when I purchased it in 2011 I would have bought two of them at $8,889.94 each out the door. See signature for model Grizz and mods done.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have noticed since 2012 to present the Grizzly's are been plagued with numerous issues. Leaking shocks, faulty 4 wheel drive switches, bad decompression springs, starters, seats detaching getting lost while trailering, improper air filter fitment, oil burning engines to name just a few. The 2011 model year they had worked out all the previous bugs "cooked stators, bad roll over valves, boiling gas, EPS vent" for that generation of Grizzly's which were made in Japan prior to 2012.
After 2011 they are all made in the U.S.A. and the quality and engineering went down hill. Hate to say but made in Japan seams to be superior to most other countries of manufacture. My 2011 Grizzly has been excellent with 10,000 plus miles doing standard maintenance and normal wear and tear items. If I knew what the future was when I purchased it in 2011 I would have bought two of them at $8,889.94 each out the door. See signature for model Grizz and mods done.
Here is all the factory updates...

Improvements: none, 1st year
Issues:
Fuel rollover valve issue
EPS Vent issue
Stator Cooling issue
reverse sensor switch
display pod fried with low voltage

Improvements: none
Issues:
Fuel rollover valve issue
EPS Vent issue
Stator Cooling issue
reverse sensor switch
Display pod fried from low voltage

Improvements:
Stator oil cooling line
EPS vent removed
Rollover valve redesigned (albeit not successfully, venting issues still reported)
Cylinder head improved to reduce stalling
cam profile changed to increase bottom end, hp reduced from 49 to 45 (could not verify other than p/n change)
throttle body changed to compliment engine changes
spark plug changed
*gas cap changed
throttle lever improved to reduce fatigue
Rear a-arm guards changed for more coverage
Thicker, Stronger polyethylene CV boots
Thicker seat foam
Improved smoother shifting
Issues: Fuel rollover valve

Improvements: throttle body changed again
Issues: Fuel Rollover valve

Improvements:
Issues:

Improvements:
Floorboard mounts welded to frame
dipstick access panel redesigned (excellent $35 upgrade if you have an older machine with a broken footboard)
plastics textured at fender edges to hide scratches
gas charged rear shocks, revalved front shocks
some push rivets on front fender replaced with BHCS
master cylinders are no longer painted, raw aluminum now
Issues: Gas charged shocks are excessively stiff

Improvements: Gas charged rear shocks improved
Issues: some of the stiff 2012 gas shocks on 2013 models

Improvements:
30mm longer A-arms
additional frame gussets
changes to racks
New head