Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what those of you that have owned the 708 and the "new" 686 think of a comparison of the 2. I was wondering how power compares. Also curious if they fixed the leaky air filters. I am eventually wanting to get a new grizzly or kodiak 700 and am wondering if the new machine is much of an improvement over my old 2017. I was frustrated with the leaky air filter situation and the oil burning issues (I had mine rebuilt under warranty and got an aftermarket air filter and it wasn't fixed). Thanks for any thoughts you all might have.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a 16 grizzly and now have a 19 grizzly see. I can only tell you three things. 708 Definitely more power. 708 is Definitely Junk and three if the 2022 grizzly is not a twin or a 2 up there will be a new can am sitting in my garage. I like the 19 airbox is still junk and it's severely underpowered. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 16 grizzly and now have a 19 grizzly see. I can only tell you three things. 708 Definitely more power. 708 is Definitely Junk and three if the 2022 grizzly is not a twin or a 2 up there will be a new can am sitting in my garage. I like the 19 airbox is still junk and it's severely underpowered. My 2 cents worth.
That is super disappointing to hear. I currently have a 2018 kodiak 450. I really like it but miss the power of my 700. I was thinking about giving the 450 to my wife and upgrading but it sounds like I might as well keep the 450.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
That is super disappointing to hear. I currently have a 2018 kodiak 450. I really like it but miss the power of my 700. I was thinking about giving the 450 to my wife and upgrading but it sounds like I might as well keep the 450.
The current 686 is a big upgrade from a 450...

The 450 is the definition of under powered atv in my opinion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The current 686 is a big upgrade from a 450...

The 450 is the definition of under powered atv in my opinion.
That’s a good point too. I am super paranoid of the air filter/air box issue on the 700s still. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
That’s a good point too. I am super paranoid of the air filter/air box issue on the 700s still. Any thoughts on that?
I made a shim out of a margerin container lid that i place at the back of the filter to help put a tad more pressure between the foam donut and the air box housing. Also greased the donut.

3000 miles later and i have zero dust
issues.

Reactions: Kellory

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a shim out of a margerin container lid that i place at the back of the filter to help put a tad more pressure between the foam donut and the air box housing. Also greased the donut.

3000 miles later and i have zero dust issues.
That is good to know. That restores some faith. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Better go get your POS canam. There isn't a twin grizzly this year, and probably won't be in the foreseeable future. And on top of that, this year's colors are horrible except the Kodiak SE in both the 450 & 700.

As for power, after trying a new one, no difference between the 708 vs 686, other than where the torque curve is. This is also backed up by the fact that they are identical in hp and torque output.
As grid the 708 being junk, I can definitely say my 2018 is not, zero problems with mine. Many others in here will confirm the same. Yes there were issues with the first year 2016s and early 2017s, but that has been resolved

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Better go get your POS canam. There isn't a twin grizzly this year, and probably won't be in the foreseeable future. And on top of that, this year's colors are horrible except the Kodiak SE in both the 450 & 700.

As for power, after trying a new one, no difference between the 708 vs 686, other than where the torque curve is. This is also backed up by the fact that they are identical in hp and torque output.
As grid the 708 being junk, I can definitely say my 2018 is not, zero problems with mine. Many others in here will confirm the same. Yes there were issues with the first year 2016s and early 2017s, but that has been resolved

My 708 from a 20 mph roll would suck the painted plastics off my 19se. Neither one of them will get out of there own way off the line. From the one picture I've seen the yellow/ gray grizzly I owe kymco an apology. The new grizzly is Definitely the shittiest color available.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
From a 20mph roll there you have it, it's not more power.. It's the torque curve change. There's no more power or torque, it's just where they work best in the power band

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
They have the same, just the kodiak curve stays flatter as the rpms climb where as the grizzly curve ramps up faster as the rpms climb

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
They have the same, just the kodiak curve stays flatter as the rpms climb where as the grizzly curve ramps up faster as the rpms climb

I mite be mistaken, but beleive his question was about the differences in power bands between the 686 vs 708

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I mite be mistaken, but beleive his question was about the differences in power bands between the 686 vs 708
Aaahhh you might be right.

Well in that case, no difference down low, when comparing kodiak to kodiak or grizzly to grizzly. It was the midrange torque that got bumped up. Pretty much that general cruising range that most people tend to ride average trails at, then when you want to punch it, it's there, no hesitation, no bog... Just giddy up and go.

·
Registered
103 Posts
From a 20mph roll there you have it, it's not more power.. It's the torque curve change. There's no more power or torque, it's just where they work best in the power band

The 708 was rated 3hp more. Anyone Should know a twin cam engine produces More power and torque than a sohc. coming from a rzr 900 and getting on a grizzly makes you think you're on a 50cc scooter.

·
Registered
122 Posts

3000 miles later and i have zero dust
issues.
Exactly! It's that easy. I don't have any dust issues either. My 2018 has been flawless and I'm tickled with the power it has.

But we all have our own expectations.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The 708 was rated 3hp more. Anyone Should know a twin cam engine produces More power and torque than a sohc. coming from a rzr 900 and getting on a grizzly makes you think you're on a 50cc scooter.
That 3hp, or actually 2.8hp inc
rease was between the original 686, and going to the 708, when the old Grizzly got the 6% power increase.
This discussion is abiut the "new" 686, which is the same horse powrr as the 708.

No idea why you mention a 900rzr as it has zero relevance to this conversation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 700 kodiak or grizzly has way more power than the 450, my wife had a 2019 450 kodiak and I had a 2019 700 kodiak, no comparison between the 2. Now we traded up to 2021s, she got a 700 kodiak and I got a 2021 grizzly, the grizzly rips compared to the kodiak but both good machines and fast enough to kill you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts