Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I currently have a 2002 Grizzly 660 that does not have a ton of miles (about 3500), but has been put through just about everything and extremely reliable. About two years ago, I started having some sputtering/fuel issues most likely do to bad gas in the tank and carb. At the time, I didn't have time to mess with it, so I parked it in the barn where it has been sitting.

I decided to pull it out and get it up and running again. After clearing all of the mice out of it, I pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it all out and I am starting to go through the rest of it. The issue is I now have an itch to buy something newer than a 17 year old quad.

I really do not want to drop $9k to $10k on an ATV right now, so I have been looking at all of the options. I would love to get a 2019 Grizzly, but it's a little out of my price range. I could probably find a way to swing it, but I would have to finance part of it and I really don't want to do that.

So I have been looking hard at the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and the Suzuki King Quad 750 AXI. Both of which are considerably cheaper. My brother-in-law has an 02 Prairie 650 that has been a beast and really reliable for him, and I like the power of the V-twin motor.

I am not as familiar with the Suzuki, but it seems to get really good reviews as well. My only concern is where they have the belt intake/exhaust. Seems fairly low on the ATV.

I realize this is a Grizzly forum, so I would expect recommendations to be somewhat slanted, but I have always seen good accurate advice on this forum. Is it worth the stretch for the Grizzly? Or are the other two close and which would be the recommendation. I would do trail riding, mudding, plowing, etc...

Thank you for any info!

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
I suggest finding a 700 Grizz in your cash price range.
You liked the 660 for it's reliability and toughness, get a newer one and have the same ownership experience.

·
Premium Member
7,383 Posts
Only Yamaha .......for me. Reliability is king check my mileages. Not listed but that 2016 Kodi we still have has over 10000 miles also.
Try the Kawi or Zuki forums for advice on those brands.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe even a couple year old Grizzly used would be an option for you. Save some cash. Or have you thought about the Kodiak 700? a few thousand cheaper, you obviously lose some features but it depends how much you want to save the money.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was looking for a used newer quad I would be looking for a 14-15 grizzly. The 2020's are out so they are 5-6 yrs old now and you should be able to find them at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Maybe even a couple year old Grizzly used would be an option for you. Save some cash. Or have you thought about the Kodiak 700? a few thousand cheaper, you obviously lose some features but it depends how much you want to save the money.
I agree, check out the Kodiak 700. It has the same motor, only difference is it has heavier clutch weights for more of a utility type use, but those can be changed out to the Grizz lighter weights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
my personal opinion STAY AWAY from the 16-18 as far as possible. trust me I know.
I may stay away from the 2016 but I have a 2018 with 4,000 miles and I have had zero issues.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
X2 on looking for a low mile 14-15. If I was in the market that is what I would look for. For reliability IMO there is Yamaha and everything else for trail riding. Honda is on par with reliability but not with the transmission.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I really do not want to drop $9k to $10k on an ATV right now, so I have been looking at all of the options. I would love to get a 2019 Grizzly, but it's a little out of my price range. I could probably find a way to swing it, but I would have to finance part of it and I really don't want to do that.

Thank you for any info!
Nobody wants to finance, but we do and life goes on and things work out and now you have that 2019 grizzly and all is right! Just a small $129.00 payment a month and $3,000 down for years of riding fun, just sign here .............................!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nobody wants to finance, but we do and life goes on and things work out and now you have that 2019 grizzly and all is right! Just a small $129.00 payment a month and $3,000 down for years of riding fun, just sign here .............................!
Same here. I held off for years not wanting to finance a toy chugging along with my 450 Griz. Now it's just a Zero $$ down $177 monthly payment I don't even notice. I can live with 3.9% (dealer put me with a local credit Union for the lowest rate) interest for all this fun on the upgrade from a 450 to a 2018 700!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally love the grizzly ATV's. I have a 2004 660 and a 2010 700 power steering and fuel injection special edition in white. I have NEVER experienced any problems at all with either. Only things I have done is replace CV boots because of tears and only 1 set of brake pads on the 2004 because of the engine brake. The others that you mentioned are good ATV's as I have ridden both but as far as maintenance intervals and reliability, I couldn't give you an honest answer on those issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just sold our ‘92 Suzuki LT250. It was absolutely bullet proof.

Suzuki’s financial problems would make me think twice about buying one now. My father had some issues with a Suzuki outboard he purchased and they didn’t give the level of support we have become accustomed to from Yamaha and Honda.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hate to be the voice of reason but financing a toy is a horrible idea. Buy what you can afford to pay cash for today or save longer. I’m a pretty young guy but still live my financial life by Grandpa’s rules. 😉

Also my dad has had a few brute force 750s 09’ and 12’ they were both very reliable machines. The steering got a little sloppy quicker then I think it should but nothing a few bushings can’t fix. They’re not a grizzly but good value quad for the money.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I sold my sold absolutely reliable 660 and would of still had it but wanted EPS (shoulders and plowing) and FI as likely my last one, I keep things a long time. Look for an older Griz that is taken care of, while EPS is optional...it is a game changer for me at least.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hate to be the voice of reason but financing a toy is a horrible idea. Buy what you can afford to pay cash for today or save longer. I’m a pretty young guy but still live my financial life by Grandpa’s rules. 😉

Also my dad has had a few brute force 750s 09’ and 12’ they were both very reliable machines. The steering got a little sloppy quicker then I think it should but nothing a few bushings can’t fix. They’re not a grizzly but good value quad for the money.

I bet your Grandpa never lived in a time where interest rates are anywhere near as low as they have been the last 10+ years. It's almost dumb NOT to finance if you can get a rate under 4%, Just put enough cash down that you will never be "upside down" on the loan. I use to pay cash for everything but you can actually make your money work for you at better than a 4% rate instead of paying cash for a toy.

As for the OP, The Kodiak is basically a Pre-16' grizzly size machine with a lower seat height. 60$ for Grizzly clutch weights and you get ALL the grizzly performance and it's lighter by a fair amount too! You just give up LED lights and the Fender/Tail light storage areas (Kodiak EPS vs Grizzly). If you don't need power steering/gauge/locker the Base Kodiak can be found for under 6000$ and I've seen locker kits for a pretty good price.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Hum......
So if you can make money financing a grizzly, why not get two or three and make more money?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hum......

So if you can make money financing a grizzly, why not get two or three and make more money?
With good investments, one can earn more than 4% interest that you would be spending. His point is that you might as well use someone else's money and keep your cash buffer in investments. If you are a clever invester that is. Same thing with cars, Use their cheap money, invest your personal money. Now if you have bad credit and are at 10 - 20% interest, that would be a different discussion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts