Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Grizzly 450. Recently I have got through 3 new batteries, each lasting around 2 to 3 months. When they are new they charge fine and continue to do so for a while. Then something happens and I start getting a rapid clicking when first starting in the morning especially when its cold. It starts but only with rapidly pushing the start button. Eventually after a few more weeks the battery dies. 2 experienced mechanics have checked it out but have not managed to diagnose the problem. One suggestion is that there is an AC current getting into the DC battery, eventually buckling the cells. Once the cells touch each other the battery is no good any more. We've had the quad since new in 2013 and it was fine for the first 5 years. We've had a new starter motor and the rear light was fixed by our mechanic during a routine service. The rear light he fitted was a "Landrover" light. It's a great quad. Has taken a bit of a pounding but still holds it own. I am reluctant to get rid of it and would love to hear any suggestions as to what we are not seeing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I can't remember, but it was about that time that the problem started. Thing is he is an older man a serious mechanic. His main business is rebuilding Landrover defenders from the chassis up. Then he sells them for between 12 and 16k He knows what he's doing. I haven't suggested to him that it might be since he added the new light that the problem started. Perhaps I should? But I think that would be the first thing he might check.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would start with testing out the starter, it might be draining the battery or the light he installed might be drawing power from battery all the time

·
Grizzled
3,433 Posts
Have you load tested the batteries to know they are no longer any good?

I ruined an ATV battery a few years ago and was able to find the cause. I replaced my burnt out stator, problem on 07/08 Grizzly 700, and could have been a bit more careful with the stator wire routing that was outside the engine case. I found many, many miles later, my Grizzly just quite on me and I was unable to start her back up. Battery voltage reading was low, 10.x V. I would charge the battery, get a reading of 12.x V but it still would not start. Ultimately turned out the battery went bad and that was determined by way of load testing the battery. What caused the battery to go bad was the stator wiring had rubbed raw on two of the three wires, grounding to the frame. Stator and Rectifier/Regulator were actually fine, so I wrapped the wiring back up to create insulation and then used wire loom so the insulation would not rub off again. That was enough to ruin my battery though. Replaced with a new and newly charged battery, she fired right up and I've not had a problem since.

Point is, I would check over all of your wiring to make sure you aren't grounding out or cross-linking somewhere. But you'll also want to load test the battery to know for sure it is bad. If the battery load tests fine, then you probably have a parasitic device somewhere that is draining your battery. In general, all aftermarket devices requiring 12V DC should only be charged via a keyed wire. And better yet, use that keyed wire to charge a relay that provides power to your aftermarket devices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for input. I will test the starter but it is quiter new still. RedRocket, what is CDI? I will check everything you have mentioned, I must say I have always thought it was something shorting out. It may be the only possible explanation. If and when I discover what it is I'll post here to let you know. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
First..Get a new voltage regulator. If the batteries are getting fried that is the problem. The stator output is 3 phase ac. The regulator turns that into usable DC to charge the battery.
As Redrocket post have the batteries load test. One or more may still be good.

·
Grizzled
3,433 Posts
Sorry, misspoke on the CDI. Should have said Rectifier/Regulator as reogem points out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Grizzly 450. Recently I have got through 3 new batteries, each lasting around 2 to 3 months. When they are new they charge fine and continue to do so for a while. Then something happens and I start getting a rapid clicking when first starting in the morning especially when its cold. It starts but only with rapidly pushing the start button. Eventually after a few more weeks the battery dies. 2 experienced mechanics have checked it out but have not managed to diagnose the problem. One suggestion is that there is an AC current getting into the DC battery, eventually buckling the cells. Once the cells touch each other the battery is no good any more. We've had the quad since new in 2013 and it was fine for the first 5 years. We've had a new starter motor and the rear light was fixed by our mechanic during a routine service. The rear light he fitted was a "Landrover" light. It's a great quad. Has taken a bit of a pounding but still holds it own. I am reluctant to get rid of it and would love to hear any suggestions as to what we are not seeing.
Test your stator. There are resistance checks that you can take to insure your stator is good. The resistances provided by a Yamaha Service Manual are spot on. Also check for a draw on your battery by putting an ammeter in line with your positive cable. The negative lead should go to the positive cable on your battery and the positive lead should go to the positive post on your battery. Any reading on the ammeter while your ATV is off and nothing is running is drawing your battery down continually. I also agree with the gentlemen that said you may need to test your starter as well. The Stator only excites the battery and you need to be around 1000 RPM’s before it is really doing the battery any good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts