Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to use the purolator pl14610 filter on my grizzly 700
No more fram for me

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good choice, I'm a Wix filter fan myself.
But anything is better than a fram.

Hell, I would use a coffee filter before fram... Lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah the Wix filter I use is a bit longer too. They do make a regular size one, but I use the Wix XP filter that has better media inside, and it holds that extra 100ml of oil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah the Wix filter I use is a bit longer too. They do make a regular size one, but I use the Wix XP filter that has better media inside, and it holds that extra 100ml of oil.
The WIX XP filter media is lower efficiency and stronger to run for extended oil change intervals. The standard WIX filters are better at filtering if you change your oil regularly. I change my oil every 20 hours and run standard wix filters.

I see that the factory yamaha filters are really small. I tried looking up a cross reference for a taller filter built to the same specs on wix main page and came across one but it said the cellulose on the direct fit filter was premium and the taller filter did not say premium. Not sure if the shorter or taller one is better based on that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The WIX XP filter media is lower efficiency and stronger to run for extended oil change intervals. The standard WIX filters are better at filtering if you change your oil regularly. I change my oil every 20 hours and run standard wix filters.

I see that the factory yamaha filters are really small. I tried looking up a cross reference for a taller filter built to the same specs on wix main page and came across one but it said the cellulose on the direct fit filter was premium and the taller filter did not say premium. Not sure if the shorter or taller one is better based on that.
Actually your information is incorrect. I've sold Wix filters for over 15 years well working on a parts counter and an auto parts store to managing two tire shops that did mechanical work also. The XP filters use a synthetic cellulose membrane instead of regular cellulose giving them the extended. They are not a lower efficiency filter. The specs on that filter in particular that I listed exceeds every spec on the OEM filter for my bike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually your information is incorrect. I've sold Wix filters for over 15 years well working on a parts counter and an auto parts store to managing two tire shops that did mechanical work also. The XP filters use a synthetic cellulose membrane instead of regular cellulose giving them the extended. They are not a lower efficiency filter. The specs on that filter in particular that I listed exceeds every spec on the OEM filter for my bike

I got my information from bobistheoilguy.com forums 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got my information from bobistheoilguy.com forums
Exactly, well they do have lots of information there it's not 100% factual. I myself will stick to information directly from wix Representatives but I maintain a personal friendship with not just a business relationship.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Exactly, well they do have lots of information there it's not 100% factual. I myself will stick to information directly from wix Representatives but I maintain a personal friendship with not just a business relationship.

I tried doing a yearly oil change using an XP filter and amsoil on my 4Runner and i did not like how black the oil was at the end of the year. I did not send the oil in for a lab test it may have been good but i just did not like how black it was. I went back to changing the oil ever 5K and using standard wix filters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I keep hearing trash talk about Fram. I'm not sure why because I've used their filters in my cars, trucks and SUV's for years. Not exclusively but quite often. Never used them in any of my bikes. I work in the motorcycle industry and have been using Hiflo filters for a long time. I've never had an issue with any of my bikes. Of course I over maintain my bikes and they're Yamaha's so I don't expect any less. Do frequent oil changes and use decent quality products and you'll be fine. Bonus for me, I get Hiflos cheap and the same filter fits the Grizz and my two motorcycles !

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I use the factory wolverine filter for the 708 on my Griz, which is longer than the OEM filter the Griz comes with from the factory, not sure if the Viking with the 686 uses a longer filter then the OEM filter used on the new 19 and up 686's in the Griz.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
628 Posts
I tried doing a yearly oil change using an XP filter and amsoil on my 4Runner and i did not like how black the oil was at the end of the year. I did not send the oil in for a lab test it may have been good but i just did not like how black it was. I went back to changing the oil ever 5K and using standard wix filters.
How many miles and hours was that yearly oil change? I would recommend the Amsoil filter with their oil.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
20 hours!! I have to change oil on both machines every Monday! I'd rather ride the wrench. 1500-2000 miles or 3 times a year.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
going to get up early and get some things on the grizz done washed it last weekend

1 - 20 of 20 Posts