Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings! I’m getting ready to pick up a 2021 Grizzly 700 and really like the SE and the XTR as the colors are better than the EPS models imo, but I’m not crazy on the 14 square wheel setup...unless I’m overthinking things?? I’m thinking the wider front wheels would turn harder and ride rougher as they are simply hitting more things. We ride hard and fast in west va with some mud holes (my kid would be riding the grizzly the most and I would be sometimes). Seems the wider front tires would cover you with a lot more mud and water also???Am I way off base or no???

I’ve had numerous atv’s the past 10 years (with 12 and 14” wheels) and the last 4 years I’ve been in a sxs mostly...in my experience, 26x14 wheels and tires on atv’s didn’t do well...had way too many sidewall cuts (bighorns). I think you need 27” on 14”wheels to get more sidewall (west va trails can be roughs near rocky).

The zillas on the SE and the XTR would be sold immediately as they are not my kind of tire....so then I’m stuck with trying to find appropriate trail tires 27x14 size...which is harder than it appears....or I could sell the entire stock wheel and zilla combo right away and get aftermarket wheels (14x7 wide) and then run 27x9x14’s...I’m guessing aftermarket 5+2 wheels will increase the width of the machine though??

What would 27x9x14’s fit like on the stock rims which are 14x8” wide??? I’m not sure about 9” wide wheels on the rear when most every atv I’ve ridden has had 10-11” wide rear wheels. Or try and find 27x9x14 fronts and 27x11x14 rears? Anyone done that either the stock rims?

If I’m wrong on the handling characteristics of the wider front tires on the square setup (27x10x14) then it doesn’t really matter and we could get the SE and be done with it. Who knew tires and wheels would such an issue with an atv??? 32x10x14’s on my sxs all around and I’m good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
I'll start the argument....on a.t.v. set-ups. You can't compare sxs tire situations to a.t.v. situations.
When you run a wider front wheel with less sidewall (7" wide and 14" wheel) you get more sidewall cuts. And the low p.s.i. is part of the problem. I like the stock 5.5" front wheel and 26" tall, 9" wide tire with 11 p.s.i., and I do ride rocks and get the rub marks to prove it with never a sidewall cut. You can see the wheel marks, and the lug nut is hit, and exactly how much of the tire gets rubbed but not cut.
https://flic.kr/p/hWZvXT as for the rears, I like the 7.5" wide, 12" tall wheel with 12" wide tires at the same p.s.i. and they look about the same as the fronts.
https://flic.kr/p/hWYyNB

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've ordered a '21 SE and my plan is to replace the zillas with a set of 27x9.5x14 bearclaw htrs one I get the break in miles out of the way. I'll hopefully be making some trips to HM in the fall so I want a more trail/hardpack oriented tire and the bearclaws are pretty decent with that type of terrain.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Greetings! I’m getting ready to pick up a 2021 Grizzly 700 and really like the SE and the XTR as the colors are better than the EPS models imo, but I’m not crazy on the 14 square wheel setup...unless I’m overthinking things?? I’m thinking the wider front wheels would turn harder and ride rougher as they are simply hitting more things. We ride hard and fast in west va with some mud holes (my kid would be riding the grizzly the most and I would be sometimes). Seems the wider front tires would cover you with a lot more mud and water also???Am I way off base or no???

I’ve had numerous atv’s the past 10 years (with 12 and 14” wheels) and the last 4 years I’ve been in a sxs mostly...in my experience, 26x14 wheels and tires on atv’s didn’t do well...had way too many sidewall cuts (bighorns). I think you need 27” on 14”wheels to get more sidewall (west va trails can be roughs near rocky).

The zillas on the SE and the XTR would be sold immediately as they are not my kind of tire....so then I’m stuck with trying to find appropriate trail tires 27x14 size...which is harder than it appears....or I could sell the entire stock wheel and zilla combo right away and get aftermarket wheels (14x7 wide) and then run 27x9x14’s...I’m guessing aftermarket 5+2 wheels will increase the width of the machine though??

What would 27x9x14’s fit like on the stock rims which are 14x8” wide??? I’m not sure about 9” wide wheels on the rear when most every atv I’ve ridden has had 10-11” wide rear wheels. Or try and find 27x9x14 fronts and 27x11x14 rears? Anyone done that either the stock rims?

If I’m wrong on the handling characteristics of the wider front tires on the square setup (27x10x14) then it doesn’t really matter and we could get the SE and be done with it. Who knew tires and wheels would such an issue with an atv??? 32x10x14’s on my sxs all around and I’m good :)

I've got over 2000 miles on mine with the square tire setup. I've been really impressed with the zilla's so far. I haven't had to plug any of the tires or add tire slime. I've used them on almost every terrain but sand and slick rock. Overall they work great. They're the best set of stock tires I've ever owned on any atv. They're a light tire....probably much lighter than what ever tire you're going to pick to replace them. I see absolutely no reason I won't get at least 5000 miles out of them. I run about 5 psi and they ride great. I don't understand why guys want to immediately get rid of these tires without trying them first. On slick and wet trail conditions I can run off and leave my friends. If you ride a lot of pavement or hard pack maybe I could see getting rid of them, but for most trail conditions, especially if its wet they'll be your best friend. I had a chance to run them in some snow last weekend and I thought they did well too. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll start the argument....on a.t.v. set-ups. You can't compare sxs tire situations to a.t.v. situations.
When you run a wider front wheel with less sidewall (7" wide and 14" wheel) you get more sidewall cuts. And the low p.s.i. is part of the problem. I like the stock 5.5" front wheel and 26" tall, 9" wide tire with 11 p.s.i., and I do ride rocks and get the rub marks to prove it with never a sidewall cut. You can see the wheel marks, and the lug nut is hit, and exactly how much of the tire gets rubbed but not cut.
https://flic.kr/p/hWZvXT as for the rears, I like the 7.5" wide, 12" tall wheel with 12" wide tires at the same p.s.i. and they look about the same as the fronts.
https://flic.kr/p/hWYyNB
I agree sxs and atv tire setups are completely different. I run square setup on my x3 so I can rotate tires and have one spare to fit all. Having those big meats on the front of an atv doesn’t seem conducive to good high speed handling. I can certainly see it helping in the mud and off camber situations

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've ordered a '21 SE and my plan is to replace the zillas with a set of 27x9.5x14 bearclaw htrs one I get the break in miles out of the way. I'll hopefully be making some trips to HM in the fall so I want a more trail/hardpack oriented tire and the bearclaws are pretty decent with that type of terrain.
I’ve ridden close to 10,000 miles at hatfield/outlaw trails the last 10 years and if you ride hard and fast, zillas or any mud tire is less than ideal. I’m like you and prefer a more trail oriented tire. Too many rocks and too much hardpack running imo. Htr’s are one I hadn’t considered. Will need to check those out. You keeping the stock rims (14x8) or going with aftermarket 5+2 (14x7) rims with the htr? I’m not sure how a 9 or a 9.5” tire would do on a 8” wide rim????

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got over 2000 miles on mine with the square tire setup. I've been really impressed with the zilla's so far. I haven't had to plug any of the tires or add tire slime. I've used them on almost every terrain but sand and slick rock. Overall they work great. They're the best set of stock tires I've ever owned on any atv. They're a light tire....probably much lighter than what ever tire you're going to pick to replace them. I see absolutely no reason I won't get at least 5000 miles out of them. I run about 5 psi and they ride great. I don't understand why guys want to immediately get rid of these tires without trying them first. On slick and wet trail conditions I can run off and leave my friends. If you ride a lot of pavement or hard pack maybe I could see getting rid of them, but for most trail conditions, especially if its wet they'll be your best friend. I had a chance to run them in some snow last weekend and I thought they did well too. Good luck with whatever you purchase.
Thanks for your feedback - it is good to hear a different side of things and experiences

We do a lot of high speed riding and west va is lots of rocks and hard pack. Very little peanut butter mud. Every mud tire I have seen in our group the ride is less than optimal, especially at 30-45mph. There are a lot of haul roads and hardpack runs you have to take at times and running at high speed happens...I can’t stand vibrations and shakes.

The most miles I have ever gotten out of tires in west va was about 2500 on my tensor regulators on my x3 and that was rotating them every 250-500 miles. I had some terra crosses on an atv that lasted awhile and did well for about 1500 miles but no matter how I balanced them, I had handlebar shake at 30-35mph and hated it.

For most atv’s, and for people who don’t mud predominantly, something like an OG bighorn is about as good an all around tire as you can run in west va. They aren’t nearly strong enough for a big sxs, but they were by far my favorite atv tire I ran in west va.

All that said, it will be a moot point if I get a eps grizzly and not the orange se one (12” tires). Will see what happens as there are only a few of them around here. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ve ridden close to 10,000 miles at hatfield/outlaw trails the last 10 years and if you ride hard and fast, zillas or any mud tire is less than ideal. I’m like you and prefer a more trail oriented tire. Too many rocks and too much hardpack running imo. Htr’s are one I hadn’t considered. Will need to check those out. You keeping the stock rims (14x8) or going with aftermarket 5+2 (14x7) rims with the htr? I’m not sure how a 9 or a 9.5” tire would do on a 8” wide rim????

I plan to keep the 14x8 wheels and run the 27x9.5s on them. The way i look at it im only losing .25" per side in width, so its not like the tire will be trying to peel off of the wheel any more or less than the 10 inch wide zilla would.

Also had friends with 7" wide itp deltas running 25x8x12 tires on them with zero problems so im not worried too much about the tire only being 1.5" wider than the wheel.

I plan to give the zillas a good chance on the farm when I am getting the break in hours done and who knows I may like them and them go with another set of wheels for the HTRs. Either way I plan to have a set of HTRs whether on stock or aftermarket wheels that is TBD

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan to keep the 14x8 wheels and run the 27x9.5s on them. The way i look at it im only losing .25" per side in width, so its not like the tire will be trying to peel off of the wheel any more or less than the 10 inch wide zilla would.

Also had friends with 7" wide itp deltas running 25x8x12 tires on them with zero problems so im not worried too much about the tire only being 1.5" wider than the wheel.

I plan to give the zillas a good chance on the farm when I am getting the break in hours done and who knows I may like them and them go with another set of wheels for the HTRs. Either way I plan to have a set of HTRs whether on stock or aftermarket wheels that is TBD
Understood. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks for your feedback - it is good to hear a different side of things and experiences

We do a lot of high speed riding and west va is lots of rocks and hard pack. Very little peanut butter mud. Every mud tire I have seen in our group the ride is less than optimal, especially at 30-45mph. There are a lot of haul roads and hardpack runs you have to take at times and running at high speed happens...I can’t stand vibrations and shakes.

The most miles I have ever gotten out of tires in west va was about 2500 on my tensor regulators on my x3 and that was rotating them every 250-500 miles. I had some terra crosses on an atv that lasted awhile and did well for about 1500 miles but no matter how I balanced them, I had handlebar shake at 30-35mph and hated it.

For most atv’s, and for people who don’t mud predominantly, something like an OG bighorn is about as good an all around tire as you can run in west va. They aren’t nearly strong enough for a big sxs, but they were by far my favorite atv tire I ran in west va.

All that said, it will be a moot point if I get a eps grizzly and not the orange se one (12” tires). Will see what happens as there are only a few of them around here. :)

So you ride in West Virginia? From your posts I didn't realize that?:) LOL! If you're doing a lot of high speed gravel road riding naturally Zilla's wouldn't be your tire of choice. They're not designed for high speed road riding. I'd probably shy away from the XT-R or SE model for that reason alone. Since you do a lot of road riding wouldn't a square tire setup give you the ability to rotate your tires and add longevity? Whether you decide on 12's or 14's the ability to rotate tires is a big bonus. 14's are going to handle better and have less sidewall flex in high speed cornering than 12's but 12's will ride more plush and give you a little more sidewall in the rocks.
I've had several sets of maxxis bighorns over the years. I've got set on my Ranger Crew right now. They have exceptional ride quality and wear well. But if I were going to buy a tire that handled well at high speed they would be very low on my list, especially once the get a little wear on them. I've got a set of bearclaw htr's on my other Grizzly and they work well, but have a far stiffer ride than the bighorns or Zillas.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly SE, 2018 Kodiak 700 SE
132 Posts
I have a little over 700 miles on my 2021 SE with the Zillas and 14” wheels all at Hatfield and McCoys. I have not had any issues at all. I agree the tire is less than optimal but it performed well. I would like to replace them with ITP Blackwater Evolution.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a little over 700 miles on my 2021 SE with the Zillas and 14” wheels all at Hatfield and McCoys. I have not had any issues at all. I agree the tire is less than optimal but it performed well. I would like to replace them with ITP Blackwater Evolution.
3 Yamahas in our grip run these tires. They last a long time and are tough. Their contact patch is oddly very narrow though (easy to tell riding behind one for a mile or two on the blacktop running into town, etc...they all have a 2” wear spot right in the middle of the tread)

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly SE, 2018 Kodiak 700 SE
132 Posts
3 Yamahas in our grip run these tires. They last a long time and are tough. Their contact patch is oddly very narrow though (easy to tell riding behind one for a mile or two on the blacktop running into town, etc...they all have a 2” wear spot right in the middle of the tread)

Yes, I like them. I have them on my wives Kodiak 700.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you ride in West Virginia? From your posts I didn't realize that?:) LOL! If you're doing a lot of high speed gravel road riding naturally Zilla's wouldn't be your tire of choice. They're not designed for high speed road riding. I'd probably shy away from the XT-R or SE model for that reason alone. Since you do a lot of road riding wouldn't a square tire setup give you the ability to rotate your tires and add longevity? Whether you decide on 12's or 14's the ability to rotate tires is a big bonus. 14's are going to handle better and have less sidewall flex in high speed cornering than 12's but 12's will ride more plush and give you a little more sidewall in the rocks.
I've had several sets of maxxis bighorns over the years. I've got set on my Ranger Crew right now. They have exceptional ride quality and wear well. But if I were going to buy a tire that handled well at high speed they would be very low on my list, especially once the get a little wear on them. I've got a set of bearclaw htr's on my other Grizzly and they work well, but have a far stiffer ride than the bighorns or Zillas.
The only high speed road riding we do is running into town or jumping from one outlaw to another but as you know, sometimes that can be several miles. We do certainly hit high speeds on the trails and I didn’t mind 14” wheels on my polaris atv’s but 26” tires always got cut on those wheels....always....I personally wouldn’t run less than 27” tire on a 14” wheel again for my uses...27x14 tires really limit the options though. 26X12 radial tire for aggressive trail riding there is about the sweet spot I think. Paired with some Elkas and you have a go fast rig that can be comfy.

I wanted the SE for the orange color but I think I’ll just pick up the armor grey eps and the 12” wheels and call it good. My kid will be riding it 80% of the time anyways so se or eps model makes no difference to him. :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've really liked using 26x9-12 as a square tire setup on my 2014 Grizzly. The 26x9 on the rear doesn't rob near as much power as an 11 or 12 inch wide rear and I haven't noticed any loss in trail performance. I think a 26 inch tire is the sweet spot for most ATV's that are used for general trail riding.
I've got a couple of friends with blackwaters and they've been disappointed in how they've worn. They seem to wear fast for an 8ply tire. Zilla's, HTR's and bighorns seem to out last them and are lighter.

·
Registered
2020 Grizzly 700 SE Silver, Winch, BearClaw HTRs and Black Boar Cargo Seat
285 Posts
I've really liked using 26x9-12 as a square tire setup on my 2014 Grizzly. The 26x9 on the rear doesn't rob near as much power as an 11 or 12 inch wide rear and I haven't noticed any loss in trail performance. I think a 26 inch tire is the sweet spot for most ATV's that are used for general trail riding.
I've got a couple of friends with blackwaters and they've been disappointed in how they've worn. They seem to wear fast for an 8ply tire. Zilla's, HTR's and bighorns seem to out last them and are lighter.
Wish I had read this earlier. I was thinking about the square setup. I just ordered some BC HTRS with the fat 11” rear tires. Lol. Putting them on this weekend.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just swapped the wifes Grizz 550 over yesterday to a set of Wanda Chinadiggers in 26x9x12 on all 4 corners. The 27" mud lites were too much for the little 550 and we ride trails and hardpack mainly so she should be good to go with the knockoff bighorns and the drivetrain will be a little happier with less tire as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still undecided on what atv to get the kid (and I’ll play on it a bit here and there), but I think it will be the orange se as I dig the color. Either the tires come off immediately and a square setup with bear claw htr 27/9.5/14’s go on the stock rims or I’ll take the stock wheels and sell them and get some 14x7 aftermarket wheels and run 9’s up front and 11’s in the rear...I am undecided as I’ve never run a square setup on an atv...and there are almost no options in the 27/10/14 world:(

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I still undecided on what atv to get the kid (and I’ll play on it a bit here and there), but I think it will be the orange se as I dig the color. Either the tires come off immediately and a square setup with bear claw htr 27/9.5/14’s go on the stock rims or I’ll take the stock wheels and sell them and get some 14x7 aftermarket wheels and run 9’s up front and 11’s in the rear...I am undecided as I’ve never run a square setup on an atv...and there are almost no options in the 27/10/14 world:(

Man I think you're way over thinking this. If you don't like the Zillas just switch them out and put some 27x9-14's on (tons of tire choices) and ride on. Tons of guys use 25x8 tires on 7 inch wide aftermarket wheels with great success, hell I've done it. I see no difference running a 25x8 on a 7 inch wheel and running a 27x9 on an 8 inch wheel. Sure you're going to get wheel damage, but if you ride as hard and fast as what you've said, you're probably going to get wheel damage anyway. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Brand new grizz owner here, my zillas and stock wheels have been freaking amazing! Been through 3 hard ass trails in east Tennessee with zero issues. I'm wearing these out before going bighorn. Great tires...keep and use..my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts