Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

New Grizzly owner(s) in central Arizona

843 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DirtDawg... 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a rewrite intended as my intro post as new Grizzly Central member. Actually, that was Tuesday evening after committing to purchase a new 2017 Grizzly SE. Next morning, headed prox 100 miles SW with borrowed utility trailer as my buddy headed similar mileage in separate direction with his own utility trailer in tow to pick up an identical satin silver SE. Brought it home and installed a Yamaha rear cargo box plus a few other small items that night.

My longtime passion has been jeeping (own same trail-prepped TJ for 18 yrs since new) - especially since moving to Rim Country 4 yrs ago where great trails surround our small town. I'm active in the local jeep club, volunteer with an organization that works with USFS on trail inspection and signing within their "OHV Travel Management Plan" and a member of local SAR quad - all activities that allow opportunities to fully utilize and enjoy my jeep.

My buddy bought his own jeep (JK Rubicon 2 yrs ago), although he and his wife have owned ATVs in years past as well as he having significant dual sport moto experience. I've ridden and owned motos for 45+ yrs but all of those have been street bikes plus no ATV experience at all until now.

I bought a PlayCraft 5x8 utility trailer yesterday (leftover new 2014 unit for nicely discounted price), so we hauled them out (not yet street legal) at 7am this morning to one in our local trail system at eastern edge of town. Started at .1 hr showing with no mileage and ended with 2.9 hrs and 14 miles showing towards break-in. Terrain was combo of dry narrow sandy washes, brush/trees, eroded tippy hillsides and ever present Arizona granite. One steep rocky climb prompted both of us to engage locker in low range and crawl up to the top. Had that been severely off-camber, I wouldn't have attempted it as ATV newbie, however jeeping experience helped with my initial learning curve today. Still a newbie - just less so now. Sorry, no pics taken today but attaching a few from Day #1...

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh man that's sweet! Congratulations!

#3 ·
Good looking machine! Welcome to GC.

#4 ·
Welcome from Missouri, enjoy your new ride and be safe!

#5 ·
Nice garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Welcome 2 GC.

#7 ·
Welcome to GC and congrats on the new toy!

From your pictures, it looks like you at least have a trifecta of fun toys!

#9 ·
Thanks guys, for the welcome!

LOL, I bought and moved into newer digs 3 mos ago in great part due to that garage. Its an oversized 3-car (35' deep x 33' wide incl storage and steps areas with 12' high ceilings). Pics show the "smaller" side!

My buddy and I think we did OK on purchase deals. After concluding that we both wanted the Grizzly SE (this forum helped), I used the Yamaha online locator and checked dealers with inventory that advertised discounted pricing on their website on 2017 units. Most dealers had none and none had more than one. Found mine online at $8399 ($1900 below MSRP) + $150 freight, $150 set-up + DMV fee, doc fee and AZ tax. My buddy used that to negotiate "match it and I'll buy it" for his own Grizz. Heard "rumor" that Yamaha offered dealers a few at reduced pricing to be used as demos but without restriction for that use. Mine was new and unused with zero miles. We both chose inclusion of Yamaha/Warn winches (vs extended YES) 2017 Grizzly sales promo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.