Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks I’m new to the forum and I was hoping I can get some help. All be picking up my new 2022 grizzly eps se this week and I been seeing a lot of complants about dirt getting by the filter and people having issues with popping sound from the ais .. is this stuff still happening to the 22 model years and do I need to get my stock bike tuned right away? I prefer to just leave things stock and ride it like it is .. I traded my 21 outlander xt in for a grizzly because of reliability now I’m reading all this stuff .. has me a little concerned .. any feedback is much appreciated thanks folks

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
A few members had issues with the 708 engine air filter. I've owned two still have one never had an issue with either.
AIS blocking is snake oil carnie hawker's crap. Blocking it will not improve performance. It may reduce the backfire/popping. It will increase emissions. The carburetor Grizzlies had way more backfire/popping the the EFI rigs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey folks I’m new to the forum and I was hoping I can get some help. All be picking up my new 2022 grizzly eps se this week and I been seeing a lot of complants about dirt getting by the filter and people having issues with popping sound from the ais .. is this stuff still happening to the 22 model years and do I need to get my stock bike tuned right away? I prefer to just leave things stock and ride it like it is .. I traded my 21 outlander xt in for a grizzly because of reliability now I’m reading all this stuff .. has me a little concerned .. any feedback is much appreciated thanks folks
I bought a 22 last novemmber and nothing like that has happened

·
Premium Member
2007 grizz 660 camo sold 2019 honda passport 2001 breeze 125
3,615 Posts
U made the right choice gettin a grizz lol welcome aboard

Reactions: Yamayahoo77

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Pretty much exactly as Reogem said. Most of the issue with dirt getting by the filter was on the 16 to 18 models with the 708 engine. The 19+ models Yamaha did a slight modification to the air intake to help improve that little bit of blow by issue. Not saying that it couldn't use a little bit of tweaking still but it's not really an issue. As for the popping sound that is just part of the emissions doing the AIS block off May or may not reduce the popping sound It is literally dependent on the bike works for some doesn't work for others. The common thing that has been noticed is as you put more mileage on the bike that popping sound will go away or lessen quite a bit. I myself have a 2018 Kodiak it had very minimal popping to begin with and now that it has been broken in and has a few more kilometers on it there's barely any popping sound at all who will get the occasional one but it's not hurting anything. It's not causing any damage or anything at all The most it does is a noise the odd person and I can say that it's not that bad I've actually heard it worse on some other brands of ATVs in the recent years. It's just a byproduct of the stricter emission standards that they are all having to face now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty much exactly as Reogem said. Most of the issue with dirt getting by the filter was on the 16 to 18 models with the 708 engine. The 19+ models Yamaha did a slight modification to the air intake to help improve that little bit of blow by issue. Not saying that it couldn't use a little bit of tweaking still but it's not really an issue. As for the popping sound that is just part of the emissions doing the AIS block off May or may not reduce the popping sound It is literally dependent on the bike works for some doesn't work for others. The common thing that has been noticed is as you put more mileage on the bike that popping sound will go away or lessen quite a bit. I myself have a 2018 Kodiak it had very minimal popping to begin with and now that it has been broken in and has a few more kilometers on it there's barely any popping sound at all who will get the occasional one but it's not hurting anything. It's not causing any damage or anything at all The most it does is a noise the odd person and I can say that it's not that bad I've actually heard it worse on some other brands of ATVs in the recent years. It's just a byproduct of the stricter emission standards that they are all having to face now.

Appreciate the response I’m super excited to get it out for a ride.. I’m coming from a 2021 outlander 850 xt and I know all miss that vtwin sound but that’s honestly about it.. terrible to work on just terrible .. I had a old 03 grizzly years ago and always loved that bike.. I truly think this grizzly is the bike all have for a very long time ..thanks again and stay safe

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Appreciate the response I’m super excited to get it out for a ride.. I’m coming from a 2021 outlander 850 xt and I know all miss that vtwin sound but that’s honestly about it.. terrible to work on just terrible .. I had a old 03 grizzly years ago and always loved that bike.. I truly think this grizzly is the bike all have for a very long time ..thanks again and stay safe
Oh yeah that V-Twin sound is nice and I will say those 850s pull hard when you pin it these 700s don't quite do that but they're pretty respectable when it does come to the low end torque but I mean honestly it can't really compete with the twins but I will give that up all day long for the reliability. I would rather have a little less power and torque and be out enjoying the bike all day instead of enjoying the power and torque coming from my impact wrench while I'm doing repairs. Lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reliability is key for me as I have a little 9 year old with a raptor 90 and need to make it back home.. my buddy has one the same 850 and it’s got a few hundred km more then me and is falling apart ,leaking diffs front and back , throttle sticking man it’s got me paranoid lol plus all that power is useless in these tight rough trails I ride in . Grizzly for this guy

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Reliability is key for me as I have a little 9 year old with a raptor 90 and need to make it back home.. my buddy has one the same 850 and it’s got a few hundred km more then me and is falling apart ,leaking diffs front and back , throttle sticking man it’s got me paranoid lol plus all that power is useless in these tight rough trails I ride in . Grizzly for this guy
Oh I totally agree You hit a spot on. I have two friends that both have 850s One of them is a max two up version. Mind you both of them put on way way more kilometers than I do but still for the amount they do I've been surprised at how many repairs they've had to do and parts to be replaced. Rad fans in particular. Coolant Overflow tank, several bushings and bearings. And then the overall amount of panels that are required to come off for some of the basic maintenance and they aren't just simple pop off panels. I would still take a Can-Am any day over a Polaris but still can't beat the Yamaha reliability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol def take a can am over Polaris geez we don’t even want to ask are 2 neighbours to go out with us anymore because we’re always towing them home lol and yeah the side panels are a pain for sure. I wish they just made them like the old Honda side cover just pull the things off and done lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh I totally agree You hit a spot on. I have two friends that both have 850s One of them is a max two up version. Mind you both of them put on way way more kilometers than I do but still for the amount they do I've been surprised at how many repairs they've had to do and parts to be replaced. Rad fans in particular. Coolant Overflow tank, several bushings and bearings. And then the overall amount of panels that are required to come off for some of the basic maintenance and they aren't just simple pop off panels. I would still take a Can-Am any day over a Polaris but still can't beat the Yamaha reliability.

If you're a snowmobiler and have owned skidoo products,you will know enough to stay away from CanAm

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lol def take a can am over Polaris geez we don’t even want to ask are 2 neighbours to go out with us anymore because we’re always towing them home lol and yeah the side panels are a pain for sure. I wish they just made them like the old Honda side cover just pull the things off and done lol
That would be a tough call for me,I also have a 2006 sportsman 500 and I can't honestly say I regret the purchase,3000 miles and only tires,battery,and brakes. I would not consider buying a new Polaris though,I looked at some at my local Deere dealer getting parts and they are cheaply built,I cut my hand on the back fender examining one. Another friend has an 850 CanAm,it's been to the shop so many times, he's on a first name basis with all the employees.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow I always kinda looked up to canam but hearing this the grizzly seems to be way over them. I love my grizzly it feels great and the quality is just unmatched. Yamaha is still making bikes like they used to 20 years ago which is amazing. My griz is a 2020 EPS camo. As for you question about the intake the 16-18 where the worst but the 19+ still could suck a bit of dust past. If I where you I would just get the EHS intake seal I got it and it works wonders. 1000% better than Yamahas intake I gotta say. Other than that the other thing I would get is the EHS tuner to get the bike at the proper air to fuel ratios it runs best at. Yamaha leans it out to pass emissions and that could also lead to poping. But ya man it’s a solid bike your going to love it. And welcome to the community!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow I always kinda looked up to canam but hearing this the grizzly seems to be way over them. I love my grizzly it feels great and the quality is just unmatched. Yamaha is still making bikes like they used to 20 years ago which is amazing. My griz is a 2020 EPS camo. As for you question about the intake the 16-18 where the worst but the 19+ still could suck a bit of dust past. If I where you I would just get the EHS intake seal I got it and it works wonders. 1000% better than Yamahas intake I gotta say. Other than that the other thing I would get is the EHS tuner to get the bike at the proper air to fuel ratios it runs best at. Yamaha leans it out to pass emissions and that could also lead to poping. But ya man it’s a solid bike your going to love it. And welcome to the community!
yeah kinda disappointed that I have to do anything to a brand new bike and they could of done a better job on the rear box but man she looks good lol I got it yesterday and would post pics but not sure how to lol I’m a newbie on here

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’d love to see your bike just tap on the paper clip and it will allow you to add pictures. Ik they could of done a lot better with the air bow but the fuel tuning isn’t really their fault since they have to follow regulation. I personally love the back box it’s not to intrusive and it is dust/water resistant. Congratulations on your new bike trust me you’ll love it!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS SE
37 Posts
Hi! Congrats on the new Grizz!! I got my '19 SE this winter and didn't like the looks of the intake set-up. I did my research and found that my bike could run better if I listened to Eric @ EHS lol. I took off the HMF gear that was on the bike when I bought it, and went with the EHS programmer, EHS intake mod, EHS air box lid and Barker's exhaust. I also went to a colder 9-series spark plug and my bike runs BETTER, runs COOLER, and runs HAPPIER. Made a drastic difference in how the bike runs and sounds, no mush at the beginning of throttle, wayyyyy more linear throttle response all the way through, snappier, way less popping on decel, etc. It costs me more loot, and I had to do get in there and do some work, but it was fun and helped make the winter less-boring working in the garage. Now my bike runs the way it should, no lean condition and crappy feel. My bike runs STRONGGG. BIGups EHS Racing!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts