Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 Grizz 660 came with ITP steel wheels. Running BH 2.0 radials. Would like to look into getting a set of ITP SS alums. Now every set I find online come as all 4 12x7. Don't I need to get 2 12x7 for the front and wider 12x10 for the two rear? That's the way it's set up currently with the steel wheels I have. Any advice info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
365 Posts
Iirc stock machines come with 6" wide wheels up front and 7" wide wheels in the rear if the tires are staggered. 7" all around if square.

Ideally, you want your tires to be at least a couple inches wider than the wheels so you don't smash your wheels all to shit. This becomes extra important with aluminum wheels.

Reactions: JD4020

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
365 Posts
What size are your tires?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,026 Posts
The OEM wheels for Yamaha, excluding the newer "square" 14"x8" on the upgraded Grizzly, are 12"x6" wide fronts and 12"x7.5" wide rear.

I do have (4) ITP SS 12"x7" aluminum wheels and ran Maxxis BigHorn original tires 26x9x12 fronts and 26x12x12 rears. No problem at all running those tires on the 12"x7" wheels. Should not be much of any difference on a Grizzly 660.

Reactions: Vincent and JD4020

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The current Max BH 2.0 tires on it now are 25x8-12 in the front and 25x10-12 in the rear. So I'm assuming that is the staggered. I'm not sure of the wheel sizes as it doesn't have any numbers visible. Im again assuming they are 12x8 all around being the front side walls are flush with the rim. Being 4-110 bolt pattern for a 05 Yamaha Grizz. So yes if I did get into some rock it would smash the outer lip of the rim being exposed as it is. You can see in the pic below.
IMG_20210518_205001651.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So running the same size rim (all 4) is the suggested move even running wider tires in the rear? What is the typical leeway in tires and rims? 1,2,3 inches for a, let's say 12x7 like the gentleman above mentioned?

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
365 Posts
If your running the same width tires or wheels, you want the other to all share a like width as well.. or the tire profile and height will be different.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You can run 4 same width rims with staggered size tires with very little change in tire diameter, it's so marginal it doesn't make much difference.
Different height tires isn't as important on an atv as it is on a road vehicle.
Differences in diameter only have an effect when in 4x4, but on loose gravel or in mud, there is enough traction loss to allow the difference between axel ratios to not cause dammage. But if you were on pavement in 4x4 with different diameter tires, it could damage the diff with extended use.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks so much to everyone for the helpful info. I was pricing the ITP SS wheels like I mentioned above and it showed some Grizz with visibly deeper wheels on the back than the front. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something being green to the Grizzly world. So I will most likely go same wheel size all around. 12x7 seems to be the favored size. Then go with tire width 8 in the front and 10s on the rear. (Thanks for the comparison Red Rocket). Then if I want to run a 26 or 27 dia. in the future I can. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I was in the same boat with my 2004 660. I bent a rim and the price of a single rim was outrageous. Purchased a set of ITP's with the 7" rims for all four corners. Yes the front wheels took a beating with rock rim rash (with the stock tire sizes, staggered) but it survived many years. If I bought the 7" rims I'd make sure to look at one with Life Time warranty just in case.

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes sir. That's one of the factors that attracted me to the ITP SS. Looks good and lifetime warranty. My idea is to have a set (wheels and tires) for off road use and a set for road.

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have an update on the tire vrs wheel issue. Please keep in mind I am fairly new to this. I decided I was going to upgrade my wheels to ITP SS alums from steel wheels. It was a bit of a shock to see my new wheels were almost too wide (12x7) for my front tires (25x8-12). The steel wheels (12x7) fit just fine. The 12x7 alum SS went on but the side walls are stretched outward to seal. My tire guy thought this awfully strange there was that much difference in the same size wheels. So I will move the 25x10s to the front and ordered new 25x12s for the rear. Is there something I am missing s? All the wheels are stamped 12x7, same as the steels.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well I have an update on the tire vrs wheel issue. Please keep in mind I am fairly new to this. I decided I was going to upgrade my wheels to ITP SS alums from steel wheels. It was a bit of a shock to see my new wheels were almost too wide (12x7) for my front tires (25x8-12). The steel wheels (12x7) fit just fine. The 12x7 alum SS went on but the side walls are stretched outward to seal. My tire guy thought this awfully strange there was that much difference in the same size wheels. So I will move the 25x10s to the front and ordered new 25x12s for the rear. Is there something I am missing s? All the wheels are stamped 12x7, same as the steels.
A 7" is definitely not too wide for a 8" tire. I think you will really regret 10" tires on the front. Horrible for steering.

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also my new pipe seems to be blowing out some of the insulation around the end cap. Is this normal? I tried to get a IMF pipe but no go til August so the D&G is what I bought. Totally happy with it. Sounds great. Just not sure on the insulation coming out. Thanks for any advice as always.

A 7" is definitely not too wide for a 8" tire. I think you will really regret 10" tires on the front. Horrible for steering.

I really don't know what else to do at the moment. The wheels are 12x7 and the 8" big horn does not fit well on it. Something is off somewhere. Being a machinist in my former life, it's driving me crazy. Don't have much if a choice I guess. Will have to get the front tires back off and see about sending them back for a more narrow wheel. Thought it was supposed to be easier to go same wheel on all four. I will have to show a pic.

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

That's a 12x7 wheel on an 8" wide tire. It's beyond me why they would make it like that.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Are you sure the bead is seated on that tire it doesn't look like it's fully seated period pump that tire up to 20 pounds and leave it overnight

·
Registered
2005 Grizzly 660
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what my tire guy mentioned. He had to over inflate it to get it out that far to seal. He told me it was probably not a good idea to go off road till I get wider tires for the front. Its been sitting at 20 lbs to keep the seal. I took your advice and 86ed the idea of putting the 10s on the front and ordered a pair of 9"era. I am hoping 9s will be better.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yes you will be happier with narrow fronts for sure. My next set will be 27 or 28x9r12 all the way around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts