Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found a 1988 Moto 4 for sale in Iowa and decided to take a road-trip today. It started at 6:30 this morning, the truck, trailer and my 3 canine friends; Stella, Duke and Lucy. 1 1/2 hours into the trip I noticed the enclosed trailer swaying back and forth. Oh great, a flat tire and no spare. Mistake. Took the trailer off, pulled the bad tire off and headed to Walmart. No luck as they didn't have the size I needed. Off to NTB and they hooked me up within 20 minutes. Back to the trailer and then back on the road and 2 hours behind. Oh well. Phone call to the better half, "see I told you that you shouldn't be buying that thing". Anyway, made it there and the folks were super friendly and offered my drinks and lunch. Just needed to get it loaded up and back on the road. Made it home without any issues and enough time to spend about 15 minutes a mini cleanup. Runs real strong as the owner had just taken it in to have the carb cleaned and new cdi installed. Looks like this one will be a nice one for the kids and it will clean up real nice. Now the barn (garage) has a 1988 and 1998. Boy now all I need is a 2008 oh yeah and a divorce attorney.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well I found a 1988 Moto 4 for sale in Iowa and decided to take a road-trip today. It started at 6:30 this morning, the truck, trailer and my 3 canine friends; Stella, Duke and Lucy. 1 1/2 hours into the trip I noticed the enclosed trailer swaying back and forth. Oh great, a flat tire and no spare. Mistake. Took the trailer off, pulled the bad tire off and headed to Walmart. No luck as they didn't have the size I needed. Off to NTB and they hooked me up within 20 minutes. Back to the trailer and then back on the road and 2 hours behind. Oh well. Phone call to the better half, "see I told you that you shouldn't be buying that thing". Anyway, made it there and the folks were super friendly and offered my drinks and lunch. Just needed to get it loaded up and back on the road. Made it home without any issues and enough time to spend about 15 minutes a mini cleanup. Runs real strong as the owner had just taken it in to have the carb cleaned and new cdi installed. Looks like this one will be a nice one for the kids and it will clean up real nice. Now the barn (garage) has a 1988 and 1998. Boy now all I need is a 2008 oh yeah and a divorce attorney.
Awsome find! Looks great.
I grew up with a blue 350 moto 4.

Reactions: 1998Grizzly

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
My first ATV was a Moto 4. :icon_ goofy:

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Nice find! That young man looks happy!

I'm the oldest of four kids. My Dad and I bought a blue Moto4 225 in 1987. We all ran the pizz out of that machine and I think it only had four or five oil changes in its life. I would guess that machine had at least 20K miles on it. It got retired about five years ago due to no brakes which caused an accident (VERY lucky no one was hurt). That exact accident is what caused me to go out and by my 02 660.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Nice find and good to hear that you kept the trailer tire incident under control. I've seen more than one bad accident on highways where trailer tires give out and they surely didn't end at an NTB. Also good to see that you have a new eager riding buddy, just a few year younger than Grumpy when he got his MOTO4, ha. You two enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow almost a classic :) i had one as well what a great little bike it was, only 2wd and that thing went everywhere' looks in great condition too nice find.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shaping up nice

Painted the racks instead of powder coating. Looks like it will need some new tires before it hits the trails. Found some Lumberjacks in almost the correct size.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Awesome find.....My first Yamaha was a 88 Moto-4 225 and I've been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Shaping up nice

Painted the racks instead of powder coating. Looks like it will need some new tires before it hits the trails. Found some Lumberjacks in almost the correct size.
Very nice, came out great !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Vincent. I'll take it as this picture shows what I started with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never knew a sanding block could restore, yet not harm the plastic. Nice work.

Just think how much more the seller could have received if THEY had done that!

Used a fine sanding block as pictured with plenty of water.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sent him pictures and he couldn’t believe it was the same unit. ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts