Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings grizzly owners, I just joined this forum tonight, and have been the proud owner of a 2016 Grizzly EPS SE 700. WHAT A MACHINE this monster is to say the least! Anyways, im a bit confused as to the axle lubricants listed in owners manual, and also what the people at my dealership say? The owners manual states "mobilfluid 424" for final gear oil, and SAE 80 API GL-4 hypoid gear oil for differential. At first I was confused on the final gear oil thinking it was a separate oil for gearcase, but if I understand correctly, the engine oil lubricates the transmission gears? The final gear oil is the rear end correct? At the dealership I saw some quart bottles of fluid labeled "friction modified shaft drive gear oil" and also another quart with a name I cannot remember off bat.. nothing that read "mobilfluid" with the yamaha brand. In my mind just running a quality 75w90, or 80w90 gear lube should suffice, but I wanted all of your opinions first before I make a decision. I do not want to run synthetic in the engine until the motor has "broken in" some, and with the temps here in michigan already freezing, I am thinking yamalube(non synthetic) 5w30 for the mean time. Also, do any of you think it is a waste to change oil before first 20 hour service? In my mind im thinking "metal shavings" with it wearing in. Sorry for the long post, thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
After doing some research and reading on Grizzly Central I believe that mobilfluid 424 is for machines running a wet brake system . A model of the Yamaha Kodiak runs a wet brake so I think somehow that's a typing error and should not be in your 16 manual . That's my take on it anyway I run Amsoil gear lube front and rear same stuff been doing so for years and will continue to do so .

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I run Amsoil 0w40 .

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You only have 3 fluids to change engine oil and front and rear diff . There is no separate transmission fluid that needs changed .

·
Premium Member
9,276 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Correct.
Note the oil specs. for wet clutch application.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found online that rotella T6 is JASO wet clutch compatible, and looks to be very common for grizzly riders I see.

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I first saw the Mobil fluid 424 for the rear diff listed in the manual I was taken by surprise as well. As already stated the new Kodiak uses a wet brake in the rear so it would need this fluid. The grizzly however there is no reason for it. But mine did have that stuff in it from the factory. Kinda thinking they done that just to keep things the same on both machines but just a speculation.

I did some searching and the previous model grizzly 700s at least the last few years have the same exact part number for the rear diff and they called for reg 80/90. So I drained it and the front out at around 200 miles. I'm gonna use amsoil gear oil in it but no one had what I wanted local so until I order some I just put in some good ole valvoline conventional 80/90.

On the engine oil it came with yamalube 10w40. I changed it with the same and a fresh filter at 15 hrs. I have half a quart left so I'll buy two more quarts and do another change with that oil then I'll switch to Amsoil Powersport 0w40. Used it for years in my 660 and really liked it.

There is no seperate trans fluid or oil. The engine oil lubes it as well.

Congrats on the machine and I agree it is a very nice unit:gcrules:

·
Premium Member
9,276 Posts
I found online that rotella T6 is JASO wet clutch compatible, and looks to be very common for grizzly riders I see.
I've used the Rottella T dino in my trucks and grizz for years with no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts