Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Grizzly 700 SE Silver
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Silver 2020 Grizzly 700 SE. Last Yamaha ATV at the Yamaha place! They had plenty of CFMotos left on the floor. Looking forward to breaking this beast in and doing some serious desert and mountain riding! I had a 1993 Yamaha XT600 motorcycle 2005-2012 and rode it all over southern Brazil and parts of Argentina when I lived down there. If the Grizzly is even half as reliable as that bike, I will get my money back. I am from Alabama origionally and have travelled extensivelly. I am a South Easterner but love the West!

Any people in North Western New Mexico that like to do long trips on an ATV?

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
@MountainHiker....Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
Love riding in NM. We have been ATV riding in NM for a number of years. Mostly in the southern areas. We will ride and boondock in the east central and south east for a week or two then head to the south west to a couple favorite campgrounds for a few weeks.
We rode up in the northern edge of Gila two years ago. Was headed to Cibola but got run out by a snow storm that was blowing in.
Will be out there February 1st for a riding vacation. Because of Covid related issues we are not stopping on the east side is year. We plan to spend 5-7 month of the winter out there after my Queen retires next September.
Maybe next year we could hook up for some long rides.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@MountainHiker....Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.
Love riding in NM. We have been ATV riding in NM for a number of years. Mostly in the southern areas. We will ride and boondock in the east central and south east for a week or two then head to the south west to a couple favorite campgrounds for a few weeks.
We rode up in the northern edge of Gila two years ago. Was headed to Cibola but got run out by a snow storm that was blowing in.
Will be out there February 1st for a riding vacation. Because of Covid related issues we are not stopping on the east side is year. We plan to spend 5-7 month of the winter out there after my Queen retires next September.
Maybe next year we could hook up for some long rides.
Shoot me a message when if you come by this way. We could at least meet for a burger with green chili and maybe do some riding together. There is a ghost town called Guadalupe and old Anasazi ruins about 30 miles in the desert near here that I want to visit.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,841 Posts
We could at least meet for a burger with green chili and maybe do some riding together.
Mmmmm. Blake's Lotaburger green chili burger is a must have! We make it down to NM frequently but more towards Sante Fe area because of a relative who lives there. You being out towards NW NM, I really like that area too, just don't get there as frequently. Love the tail-waters of the Navajo Dam!

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Welcome 2 GC.

Reactions: MountainHiker

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
Shoot me a message when if you come by this way. We could at least meet for a burger with green chili and maybe do some riding together. There is a ghost town called Guadalupe and old Anasazi ruins about 30 miles in the desert near here that I want to visit.
I'm always interest in new areas to ride and explore, checking out ghost towns, caves, mines or ???
I looked up Guadalupe...First noticed there doesn't seem too be a direct trail/route from Grants. My GPS indicates 50 miles as the crow flies. By trail and FR's maybe over 100 one way. Since you're in the area I'm sure you have better info.
Also found some reviews/warnings....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm always interest in new areas to ride and explore, checking out ghost towns, caves, mines or ???
I looked up Guadalupe...First noticed there doesn't seem too be a direct trail/route from Grants. My GPS indicates 50 miles as the crow flies. By trail and FR's maybe over 100 one way. Since you're in the area I'm sure you have better info.
Also found some reviews/warnings....

View attachment 99477
Yea unfortunately you have to look at the ghost town from a dirt road over barbed wire fences. The road then continues on to the Guadalupe Ruins which is an old Anasazi out post it seems over looking the valley there. It is not an easy ride and you could run into washed out roads and there are many twists and turns and you could get lost easily. GPS and careful mapping would be necessary. I think entering from the north is easier but I was thinking of coming from the South parking the truck and trailer in Bibo. Yea camping out might be necessary if you ride that far or park the trucks and trailers on the side of the road within 20-30 miles on the north side. It is truck accessible but belongs to the Navajo Nation. Not sure how that works parking on their land. 90% of them really don’t care but there are always some jerks. I will drive up there in my truck one day and do some research. Maybe park our trucks on someone’s ranch?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Cibola National Forest right next to Mt Taylor so I have a lot of dirt roads and trails to explore.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
My MVUM of Cibola doesn't include the area north of 40. On my Garmin basecamp 2008 map I see plenty of FRs. It would be way closer maybe to ride from the Bibo bar maybe 35 miles. Looks to be mostly on 279
Won't be up that way this year. I'll put some riding in your area on the "Bucket List". Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My MVUM of Cibola doesn't include the area north of 40. On my Garmin basecamp 2008 map I see plenty of FRs. It would be way closer maybe to ride from the Bibo bar maybe 35 miles. Looks to be mostly on 279
Won't be up that way this year. I'll put some riding in your area on the "Bucket List". Thanks.
Any time. I need to build up to long distance anyway. Up until now the longest trip I have done on an ATV is two hrs. Lol. I have done many long distance on a motorcycle though.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Long day rides, or long trips out over several night?

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
:)
Got any pictures from your area?

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Looks like you have big country to ride.....I haven't been there riding yet.
I suggest better tires and a few c.v.t. mods to raise the m.p.g. for when you get more than an hour from the house.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks like you have big country to ride.....I haven't been there riding yet.
I suggest better tires and a few c.v.t. mods to raise the m.p.g. for when you get more than an hour from the house.
The tires are 4 ply Maxxis, (i thought they were six). I was hoping that they would last a while. The CVT mods? I don’t even know what that means.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
The tires are six ply Maxxis, I was hoping that they would last a while. The CVT mods? I don’t even know what that means.
Maxis makes good tires, they make a better tire than what comes stock on your machine. The Maxis O.G.'s give better traction and last longer, are 6 ply too.
As for c.t.v. mods, those are mods to the pulleys that drive the belt. You can (with simple mechanic skills) raise the pulley ratio to increase the pulley ratio which magnifies the engine torque produced by having the primary movable sheave machines, then add a little shim to run in combination with the machining. I took it to the next level with different weight weights and a cut cam plate to change the up-shift rate with the magnified torque.
The machine will launch with more snap when wanted, and can cruise at lower engine r.p.m.'s for extended fuel range. I also added a slightly stiffer secondary spring which increased the back-shift rate for engine breaking which also preventing belt slip in the tough stuff.
The throttle response is much crisper by requiring less throttle lever movement at low speed.
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of thread on c.v.t. mods here on G.C. For your trailer pulling (work :)), the wet-clutch will thank you in time to come.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Also for Ridgway81432. This looks like the best route to the Guadalupe Ruins. 60 miles one way. Starting from Coalmine campground. That is about a 4-5 hr by Jeep or motorcycle so how long with a Grizzly stopping for lunch and to to smell the flowers? There is also riding to the top of Mt Taylor and a lot of mountain and desert riding nearby. Let’s do it This spring or summer! I am up for anywhere within a 500 mile radius. For Ridgway

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hav
Maxis makes good tires, they make a better tire than what comes stock on your machine. The Maxis O.G.'s give better traction and last longer, are 6 ply too.
As for c.t.v. mods, those are mods to the pulleys that drive the belt. You can (with simple mechanic skills) raise the pulley ratio to increase the pulley ratio which magnifies the engine torque produced by having the primary movable sheave machines, then add a little shim to run in combination with the machining. I took it to the next level with different weight weights and a cut cam plate to change the up-shift rate with the magnified torque.
The machine will launch with more snap when wanted, and can cruise at lower engine r.p.m.'s for extended fuel range. I also added a slightly stiffer secondary spring which increased the back-shift rate for engine breaking which also preventing belt slip in the tough stuff.
The throttle response is much crisper by requiring less throttle lever movement at low speed.
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of thread on c.v.t. mods here on G.C. For your trailer pulling (work :)), the wet-clutch will thank you in time to come.
I have the Maxxi Zilla 6 ply. They have high reviews on the ATV sites.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts