Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I took this quad in trade for an old dirtbike that I had. I.m not sure what year it is. I'm gonna guess late 90's. It's in decent shape ,but needs a good cleaning. Right after I get it running that is. It doesn't have any spark. I've ruled out the fuse, the spark plug, plug boot and wire, and the coil. So where do I go next? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,379 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Check the grounding connection.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,532 Posts
Welcome to GC.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Check the Ignition Coil and check the Pulse Coil using an multimeter. You will need a manual to get the proper resistance measurements.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The pulsar coil is located inside the stator cover. That would be my bet, at this point you have ruled out the majority of the obvious parts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go buy some Eagle One etching wheel and mag cleaner.

Use it on the motor and all of the metallic parts, pressure wash it off and voila!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the Ignition Coil and check the Pulse Coil using an multimeter. You will need a manual to get the proper resistance measurements.
The pulsar coil is located inside the stator cover. That would be my bet, at this point you have ruled out the majority of the obvious parts.
O.k, thanks, guys (or gals). I've been on a 4 day camping trip, so that's why I didn't respond sooner. I'm waiting on the P.O to find some paperwork that has the model year on it. Until then there's probably not much I can do.:cussing:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Welcome aboard from Northern Nevada!

Reactions: HeWasRidinDirty

·
Registered
200 Posts
O.k, thanks, guys (or gals). I've been on a 4 day camping trip, so that's why I didn't respond sooner. I'm waiting on the P.O to find some paperwork that has the model year on it. Until then there's probably not much I can do.:cussing:
IF it were mine and I was tearing into it in order to swap the pulsar coil, I would purchase the stator assembly that comes with both the stator and pulsar coil. Its not much fun tearing into something twice and as old as the bike is a new stator probably would be good insurance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Right on, thank you. I found the # and it turns out it's a 97. I found a service manual. So, I drained the oil and pulled the side cover off, but, after reading thru the "ignition testing" section, I don't see anything about a pulser coil. It does go thru testing of the ignition coil, source coil, and pick up coil. Neither of which are located inside the cover :icon_ cry: Or is pulser coil another name for one of the others?

Edit: I was looking on ebay and found the pulse coil/stator assembly. The service man didn't go into checking the pulse coil. Unless I didn't read far enough. Am i checking the pulser for continuity??

·
Registered
200 Posts
Right on, thank you. I found the # and it turns out it's a 97. I found a service manual. So, I drained the oil and pulled the side cover off, but, after reading thru the "ignition testing" section, I don't see anything about a pulser coil. It does go thru testing of the ignition coil, source coil, and pick up coil. Neither of which are located inside the cover :icon_ cry: Or is pulser coil another name for one of the others?

Edit: I was looking on ebay and found the pulse coil/stator assembly. The service man didn't go into checking the pulse coil. Unless I didn't read far enough. Am i checking the pulser for continuity??
Im not real familiar with that particular machine, but the pulsar coil is what reads the flywheel. Think of it as a crank position sensor on a vehicle. It sends a pulse signal to the CDI which converts that to a signal to the coil to make it fire.

The flywheel will usually have a magnet built in that will signal the pulsar coil as it passes by. Im trying to think of what else they call this, it maybe called a trigger coil.

Here is a good read that may help. 1996 Yamaha Timberwolf 250 ATV 2wd has no spark. Got the OE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok here's where I'm at. Thanks for help, too. I know where the ignition coil is. The primary coil and secondary coils Idk where they are. Are they inside the stator cover? From LtoR in the pic is the regulator/ rectifier, a relay, c.d.i box and the starter relay. Dammit now I know why I always leave the electrical to someone else! :cussing:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Ok here's where I'm at. Thanks for help, too. I know where the ignition coil is. The primary coil and secondary coils Idk where they are. Are they inside the stator cover? From LtoR in the pic is the regulator/ rectifier, a relay, c.d.i box and the starter relay. Dammit now I know why I always leave the electrical to someone else! :cussing:
The primary and secondary coils you are referring too is the Ignition Coil itself. All Ignition Coils have two parts to them, refered too as Primary and Secondary. The CDI sends a very small electrical signal to the secondary side of the ignition. This induces a small electrical current. This current induces a large current in the Primary Coil, which then fires the spark plug.
Follow the manual and it will show you how to test both coils inside the Ignition Coil using a multimate.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I believe the pulsar coil should just read continuity. I believe the flywheel passing over the magnet gives a closure across the two leads. Each bike is different but Im fairly certain the same concept applies here.

If you have a small engine laying around chances are you could rob a coil off of it to rule that out. Some of them are pretty common and may work as a simple means to test yours and rule it out of the equation.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Welcome, congrats on the new to you quad :)

Reactions: HeWasRidinDirty

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I agree with rush2252. I suspect your Pulse Coil. At the very least test it. It's a simple resistance measurement using a multimeter. But you will need the correct measurements from a manual.

The Pulse Coil just simply sends a small electrical current signal to the CDI. This signal just tells the CDI to fire the spark plug at that moment (position of the crank).
This current is produced by the magnet passing by the Pulse Coil. This is called "make and break", and is how a generator produces electricity. I could explain out the whole process, but a quick Google search will give better information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The primary and secondary coils you are referring too is the Ignition Coil itself. All Ignition Coils have two parts to them, refered too as Primary and Secondary. The CDI sends a very small electrical signal to the secondary side of the ignition. This induces a small electrical current. This current induces a large current in the Primary Coil, which then fires the spark plug.
Follow the manual and it will show you how to test both coils inside the Ignition Coil using a multimate.
Yes. You are absolutely correct,sir! :icon_ laughup: I studied the manual and it's starting to make sense now. But, I've already ruled out the coil by putting another coil from and i.t 200 that is almost identical and still didn't spark. Soooooo, I gotta go to the source coil and the pickup coil. And it looks like I can test both of those without removing the stator cover which I already did. DOH! Now, is either the source coil or pickup coil the same as the pulser coil?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts